Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tfhe 650 came out in '05 with a 5th gear, overdrive. Does the 400 have overdrive?
Thanks. Bill

·
Registered
329 Posts
Overdrive

No. The 650 and 400 use different "transmissions". The 400 uses a continuously variable transmission, ie., a conventional variator. The 650 uses a very sophisticated control system to actuate an electric motor that selects preset ratios in both the normal and power modes. It also allows overdrive to be selected via electronic actuation.
Gearing the 400 higher, as overdrive does, would require a different or modified variator.

·
Registered
806 Posts
All of that being said, the revs on the 400 DO drop down once at highway speed, at least at the "lower" highway speeds. For example, at 60MPH, the revs go down to 5500RPM (or there abouts). But a twist of the throttle, and the tach will go up 1000RPM and give you more "power."

At highway speeds over 70MPH, the RPM difference between "cruise" and "accelerate" are much smaller. This is because a 400cc has to generate more of it's available power to maintain cruising speed. For example, at 75MPH the 650 can maintain that speed in an OD, or offering about 50% or so of it's maximum RPM and horsepower. But the 400 needs to offer about 70-80% of it's maximum RPM and horsepower to maintain this speed. An OD wouldn't work on the 400 at a speed of 75MPH because at the lower revs, it simply doesn't generate power to maintain the speed.

Please don't take my percentages as gospel. They were pulled out of my rear to make a point, that's all.

Take care!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Overdrive

I think what spawned this inquiry was the addtion of overdrive, essentially a 6th "gear" to the 2005 Burgman 650s, and the logical question, "Why not the 400, too?"

·
Registered
806 Posts
Re: Overdrive

docta said:
I think what spawned this inquiry was the addtion of overdrive, essentially a 6th "gear" to the 2005 Burgman 650s, and the logical question, "Why not the 400, too?"
Perhaps I answered the "why" part.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Makes sense to me. With most of my driving at 70ish MPH I do wish the 400 had it but I can certainly understand why it doesn't (now).

·
Registered
329 Posts
Overdrive for 400

It may be possible that one of the aftermarket variators can be had with higher (numerically lower) final ratio, while still retaining the low-end ratio.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: Overdrive

docta said:
...The 400 uses a continuously variable transmission, ie., a conventional variator. The 650 uses a very sophisticated control system to actuate an electric motor that selects preset ratios in both the normal and power modes. It also allows overdrive to be selected via electronic actuation.
Just to be clear, though: the 650's tranny is also "Continuously Variable" unless in Manual mode.

In Normal and Power modes, the ratio changes steplessly, with Power mode being about 1000 RPM higher at any given speed and load.

In Manual mode the 650 has 5 fixed ratios on the pre-2005 models, and 6 on the '05s.

HTH.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Re: Overdrive for 400

docta said:
It may be possible that one of the aftermarket variators can be had with higher (numerically lower) final ratio, while still retaining the low-end ratio.
The only way that would be possible would be to increase the size of the drive and driven pulleys as well as the length of the belt. As you can see in this picture the entire transmission housing would have to be made bigger to accommodate the larger pulleys. The transmission housing is cast as part of the engine case, so overdrive on the 400 won't happen until Suzuki decides to do it.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Agreed but a better picture is here - but then I would say that! :wink:

·
Registered
329 Posts
400 overdrive

That was a great question. I learned a thing or three about 400s.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts