Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any consensus about how many miles does it take for a OEM clutch to need replacement? ( 200 lb solo rider, mosly leve ground, suburban.)
Thank you

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
I don't know. I've got 37,000+ miles on my 06 which has the same clutch and it still seems to be fine. I will inspect it when I next replace the belt to see how much lining is left on the pads and replace if needed.

·
Administrator
18,407 Posts
I had a Lt Motor Officer in the army that would say "It will last till about THEN, and THEN is too long." Basically if its working and not making trouble, ride. But if you are planning a 5,000 mile trip, I'd do like Craig said and check the pads.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
It all depends on how many stops and how many starts you do...not the miles.

My 07 400 had the clutch last 33,500 miles. My friend from church had his last less than 30,000 miles. I believe InfernoST had his last about half that...but he rides in New York City.

You need to take off the CVT covers and look for yourself. I would definitely not trust the dealer to do this for you. The picture below is from my friend's clutch when we went to find out why the rear wheel would not quit turning at idle. He had taken it to the dealer for servicing the entire 30,000 miles to this point. It was incredibly gunked up inside, like it had never been cleaned. When the dealer checked out the issue he was having, they said he had no problems. Now tell me where you even see any clutch pad in this picture below?

There are tutorials on the forum here that will walk you through this step by step. It takes less than an hour and if you can unscrew the lid from a ketchup bottle, you can undo the bolts that hold the cover on. :) Once you take off the cover and look for yourself, you'll see how easy it is. And then you can keep track of how fast the wear is occurring based on your own riding habits.

Chris

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The stock clutch on my '03 was about 2/3rds worn at 17,000 miles when I replaced it, however the previous owner (a property manager) put nearly all 12k miles of his riding on the scoot driving stop 'n go around Daytona Beach. I replaced it last January with an Adige SU-84 and have never looked back. The Adige clutch is smooth, predictable and has never made a peep...

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you are easy on take off, "blip" the throttle after the bike gets moving then you should get years of trouble free riding from the clutch assembly. I replaced my OEM clutch assembly for the first time at 98,000kms, and on inspection could have got another 15,000kms more use. I still had 2mm of meat left on the shoe linings.
I rearly have clutch shudder, and if I do, I just ease off on the gas. The K7 problem, in my opinion is that they hammer the take off, which heats the clutch drum turning it blue. This distorts the inner face of the clutch which will then be out of round, resulting in the dreaded shudder. Once out of round it can only be machined back to concentricity. Deglazing the shoes wont do anything to help, unless the clutch face is true.
If you treat the bike well it will return the favour. My K4 has now done 138,000kms, broken down 3 times, on all three cases through my own ignorance/stupidity. Still get great enjoyment, every time I'm on the road and have no intention to upgrade to the K7--- or touring bike. jd

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
johnd said:
If you are easy on take off, "blip" the throttle after the bike gets moving then you should get years of trouble free riding from the clutch assembly. I replaced my OEM clutch assembly for the first time at 98,000kms, and on inspection could have got another 15,000kms more use. I still had 2mm of meat left on the shoe linings.
I rearly have clutch shudder, and if I do, I just ease off on the gas. The K7 problem, in my opinion is that they hammer the take off, which heats the clutch drum turning it blue. This distorts the inner face of the clutch which will then be out of round, resulting in the dreaded shudder. Once out of round it can only be machined back to concentricity. Deglazing the shoes wont do anything to help, unless the clutch face is true.
If you treat the bike well it will return the favour. My K4 has now done 138,000kms, broken down 3 times, on all three cases through my own ignorance/stupidity. Still get great enjoyment, every time I'm on the road and have no intention to upgrade to the K7--- or touring bike. jd
You ran the original clutch for 60k miles (98k km) and could have perhaps run 71k miles? WOW that has to be some sort of World's record--kudos to you!

I have 25k miles right now on my K3, with at least 150k miles as my goal. The motor seems up to it and as I keep the fluids changed on a very conservative schedule* I hope to duplicate your experience.

----------------------------------------------------------
* - My grandfather told me several times in my youth that "Oil is cheaper than engines."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts