Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2003 (k3?) and a 2005 (k5?) that both had the muffler rattle, and all the heat shields had pretty much melted, so I was looking for an inexpensive solution for the mufflers.

My first attempt was to use the 3a racing muffler that's mentioned on the forum for the 650s (total cost was around $80 with parts off of ebay) . It came out OK, but from a cosmetic standpoint, it could be a bit better. I plan on tweaking it a bit more, but here's a photo of the result:

My second attempt I'm much happier with. The total cost was under $50 ($28:exhaust and silencer - ebay, $10:hose clamps $5:exhaust tape), and since the can for the muffler was exactly the same diameter of the original muffler, it's welded up to the original exhaust pipe perfectly.

Here's a picture of the result:

with the silencers out the sound is kind of like a Mini harley, with the silencers in the sound is a bit louder than the worn out stock exhaust...

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
You did a great! Job

silencers are ok!! i have a DB Killer on my exhaust, Still makes noise but not as Loud. as running it FULL Open...

Elliott,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I've enjoyed working on the 2003, but I've got to admit pulling the gas tank to replace the fuel pump was a pain...

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Thanks, I've enjoyed working on the 2003, but I've got to admit pulling the gas tank to replace the fuel pump was a pain...
I'll bet that you never want to have to do that again...:cussing:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll bet that you never want to have to do that again...:cussing:

I've had to do less enjoyable things, but it seems like you've pretty much disassembled the entire bike by the time you get the tank out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to follow up, I got 49.5 mpg on the first tank of gas on the bike with the worn out stock exhaust. I've run the bike with the new exhaust and no silencer for the second tank, and I got 52.5 mpg. I've put the silencer in now, and will clock the mileage with the third tank.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any way to have a loud exhaust with great gas mileage? My exhaust is ok, but want something louder.
If you run these without the silencer they're plenty loud. Without the silencer in there's a car alarm at work that chirps when I drive by...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's what I want. But how does this effect your gas mileage? And, how do I build one?
I got +3mpg on my second tank of gas on the bike with open pipes. I'm not sure if it was the open pipes or that the bike is starting to get used again after sitting over a year without being run, but it doesn't look like the exhaust change makes a huge difference to mileage.

To make the exhaust all I had to do was:
1) Cut the stock exhaust just behind the end of the funnel where the stock exhaust can is 5" in diameter.
2) Cut the 3 mount ears off the back of the 5" can portion you just cut off, leave tabs on each end so you can loop hose clamps around the ears
3) cut the 2.5" inlet back so the front of the stainless exhaust is pretty much flat on the front
4) mount the back portion of the old exhaust can on the bike with the original 3 bolts (leave a little loose)
5) Mount the front half of the exhaust with the funnel on it to the header on the bike
6) use 2 - 5.5" hose clamps to temporarily mount the new stainless can to the bike, align the front of the new can to the funnel
7) tack weld the new can to the funnel, or mark the alignment of the can to the funnel with something that is fairly permanent.
8 ) Take the exhaust pipe and exhaust can off the bike and weld them up so they're air tight
9) put the assembly back on the bike and you're pretty much done.

The hose clamps hold the new exhaust can to the mount/back of the old exhaust can. You can paint the various parts as desired. I'd suggest BBQ paint for the header/front of the exhaust. Leave the stainless as is since it's polished.

If you don't have a welder and grinder, you can probably have an exhaust shop do the fabrication for you, but it'll cost you a bit more...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Per request, I'm posting some videos of the exhaust with and without the silencer so you can hear the exhaust note.

I also noticed that the body of the exhaust is actually chromed steel, not stainless, but the exhaust tip is stainless. Kind of goofy, but I guess mixed metal is to be expected for $28.

Open pipes video:

With the silencer installed (this is still a bit louder than stock):

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Sounds better With the silencer installed, With out it Boy are you in trouble , Talking about wake up the Dogs and Cats, Now how do it run on the RUN Test, any difference, Now if your planing on going out of town you can simply remove it....

Elliott,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts