Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I own a 2008 Burgman 400AN...It currently has 11,000+ miles.
I bought it with 8,500+ miles and immediately changed the oil and filter.
With my next oil change which is due soon, I've decided to switch to synthetic Amsoil 10w-40 with is specifically designed for scooters.

I have a number of questions...

1-With the Amsoil, how many miles should I expect before I do another change?
2-If any of you have used Amsoil, did you notice in increase in gas mileage?
Should I expect there be any?
3-Should I use the same oil when I change the Final Drive or should I use
Amsoil's 75w-90 or 80w-90 gear lube instead?

Thank you for your time and any advice

Dan

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
same weight oil for final drive. I personally use castrol full synthetic. Never had a problem with it. I use it both in the engine and final drive. Pretty much all synthetics are about the same. Depends on what brand you like best. I use castrol because thats what the previous owner handed me from the last oil change. But, to each his own.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
+1 with GK. You may or may not notice some slight mpg/power improvement. Most don't as they use the slight extra power but the potential is there depending how you ride to get some small mpg improvement. Over time this builds up to some saving. But only you can decide if it's worth it from the economic point of view. Certainly from the mechanical view point it provides much better protection especially if you are a hard rider. The fully syn reduces internal engine friction so it works.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm just wondering, since the motor on a burg 400 is separate from the clutch and there is no transmission, I presume a person can use automobile oil instead of the higher price motorcycle oil.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Dan, the other good point about using synthetics is that you can potentially go twice as long between oil changes. Amsoil recommend going twice as far on your 10/40 fully syn oil which makes the price very cheap indeed with all the benefits of fully syn.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I'm just wondering, since the motor on a burg 400 is separate from the clutch and there is no transmission, I presume a person can use automobile oil instead of the higher price motorcycle oil.
It's up to you flash. You can do that on the 400. But car oil is designed for car engines. They don't rev as high as bike engines and the oil is not under the same stress as bike oil. So bike oil is much better for your engine. It copes with the higher stresses and temperatures of bikes much better and the higher flow rate. I know folks who use car oil and it works but if you are a hard rider, steer clear of it and use bike oil.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks for the reply Quantum, the reason I asked, is to see if other people use car oil. I was talking to a guy that sold Amsoil synthetic and he told me, that Amsoil motorcycle oil and Amsoil automobile oil where the same they just change the name. I would be surprise but you never know.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I don't have the break down of the Amsoil car oil or bike oil but I'd be surprised if that were the case. When I worked as an engine design and development engineer I worked closely with the oil scientists almost on a daily basis. They were helpful and knowledgeable guys. There is a clear difference between the two oil types for cars and bikes. Interestingly the engines I helped design were for bikes, but one or two of our engines have been taken up by car companies and will hopefully be appearing in cars in the not too distant future. However, this posed a problem of sorts as the oil we recommended for the bike engines is not the sort of thing car companies want showing on the accessory shelf. But it has to have an oil up to the job. So in the end we recommended a high end car oil with an additive which is put in at service to protect the cams and bearings under extreme pressure. This then worked just the same as bike oil and in effect was bike oil again. Much of our testing with engines and oils was done on this set of engines and the results were amazing. There is a big difference we found between oils and specs for bike oil compared to car oil which simply doesn't cut it in the bike world much of the time. So putting cheap car oil in your bike and changing it very often is doing your bike a diservice and will usually increase engine wear. Putting in bike oil and leaving it in, even if it's dirty right up to the oil change interval is fine and doesn't cause any extra engine wear.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all , I appreciate you taking the time...I've learned a lot

·
Registered
753 Posts
Dan, the other good point about using synthetics is that you can potentially go twice as long between oil changes. Amsoil recommend going twice as far on your 10/40 fully syn oil which makes the price very cheap indeed with all the benefits of fully syn.
I don't see how that is. If I can buy something like Rotella T for $12 a gallon and change it every 4,000 miles or buy the Amsoil at $45 a gallon and change it every 8,000 miles how is that saving any money?

I have Amsoil in my Goldwing right now just to check it out. For sure, it doesn't seem to run any better or smoother, and if it shifts any better I sure cannot detect it.

I feel sure that Amsoil is fine oil but is it worth paying more than double or triple for? Not to me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I use Rotella T in my in my wing, the only thing I change halfway in the season is the oil filter and I do over 10,000 KLM a year. The bike runs smooth and no problem shifting. When I do change the oil in the fall, it's not that dirty or black , I guess the filter does it's job.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
What is 'Amsoil'?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I don't see how that is. If I can buy something like Rotella T for $12 a gallon and change it every 4,000 miles or buy the Amsoil at $45 a gallon and change it every 8,000 miles how is that saving any money?

I have Amsoil in my Goldwing right now just to check it out. For sure, it doesn't seem to run any better or smoother, and if it shifts any better I sure cannot detect it.

I feel sure that Amsoil is fine oil but is it worth paying more than double or triple for? Not to me.
Well it's personal choice of course, I'm not saying use it. But the benefits of fully synthetic oil are there for any bike however it's used. It will be better than semi syn oil that a proven fact whether you do big or little mileage. But economically you have to make the choice for yourself. On a bike like the GL1800 wing the motor never breaks into a sweat ever, so the oil never gets worked that hard. Semi is most probably almost as good for most folk. Over here in the Uk semi is priced not too much behind fully syn and often fully syn can be the same or even cheaper than semi syn oil so it's a no brainer to get the fully synthetic oil. If you then go twice as far on it before changing it's really really cheap oil. As I mention in an earlier post, many of our european cars go two years or 30,000 miles on the same oil and filter without any detrimental consequences whatsoever. It's been that way for quite a few years now. Engines still go 250,000 to 500,000 miles before needing work doing. But they can only do that because all cars come with fully synthetic oil in them as standard. The oil looks black but is perfectly serviceable even when they drop it out of the engine at 30,000 miles. I have family who live in the States and they seem to want to change the oil every time it gets discoloured slightly. There just isn't the need to do that these days, it wastes enormous amounts of oil. But it does make folk feel better!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts