Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Safe? I suppose so. But why would you want to unless you have quantities of it laying around for other applications and were thinking of saving a few dollars by using what is at hand at no additional cost.

A 110 weight lube is not needed in a vehicle as light and underpowered as a Burgman that's not very sophisticated in the requirements of its lubricants. This is not a case where "If some is good, more is better and too much is just right." High viscosity lubes in applications that don't require them provide no benefits and often don't perform as well as a less viscous lube in a number of ways.

A 75W-90 lube will do fine and will probably give a bit better fuel mileage and performance than a more viscous lube.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DL-11,for your comment. I read a post on another site that said the Amsoil Severe Gear 75w 110 in the final gears quieten the whining noise considerably. I was just wondering about whether or not to try it in my 650. I certainly don't want to damage anything.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't want to say that you'll damage something; I don't think a 650 Burgman is strong enough to do that. But gear whine is a function of the design of the gearing, the attention to detail with which they were assembled and the way they were "broken in". In other words, it's the nature of your bike, and from my perspective, using too-viscous a lube is not the way to deal with it. At the risk of being cynical, you could probably really quiet the gears by filling the final drive with STP® but why make the gears struggle through a semi-solid lube just to reduce a bit of gear sound. The heat created by constant shearing of the lube will gradually break down the extreme pressure additives that are the reason a gear oil is recommended for the 650's final drive at all. For what it's worth, I've found that some gear types tend to be noisier when lubed with a synthetic lube than with a mineral oil. Given a choice I would recommend using a gear lube of the viscosity and rating called for by the factory.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Yes but the final gears are not subject to the temperatures and presures that Amsoil was designed to protect against. It does, however, peg out the "feel good" meter, and that you can't put a price on. :thumbup:

carsen said:
Is it safe to use Amsoil Severe Gear 75w 110 in the final gears :?:

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
I have tried all manor of lubes in the rear diff. After 20,000 miles, the Burgie whine has become an old friend

·
Registered
280 Posts
Trail Boss said:
I have tried all manor of lubes in the rear diff. After 20,000 miles, the Burgie whine has become an old friend
Yes nothing like getting the burgie to do our whining for us LOL.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your comments gentlemen, I too, have decided to get used to the whine.. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Regular weight motor oil is recommended, per OM, for final drive. 75 wt. is too heavy.
I use synthetic for the final drive. Regular dino oil for the engine because I change it more than recommended. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts