Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 AN400A with almost 6000 miles that I bought used. It had 4200 miles when I bought it. I assuming the oil had been changed at 4000 miles since the oil interval does not indicate the next oil change. I have 2 quarts of Amsoil 20w-50 synthetic motorcycle oil that I got free. I live in west central florida and plan on taking a 500 mile round trip back to georgia soon after the oil change. Since it's free what's the thought of using the 20w 50 or should I stick to the recommended 10w 40. Ok well it's a newbie question.

·
Super Moderator
20,090 Posts
It should work fine in warmer climates, especially if your doing a longer duration ride. I would question it though if you lived up here (the great white north ;-)) where this time of year, it may be too heavy.

You also can mix the oil with others if you need to.

For those who say you can't, what about a synthetic "Blend"?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
It should work fine in warmer climates, especially if your doing a longer duration ride. I would question it though if you lived up here (the great white north ;-)) where this time of year, it may be too heavy.

You also can mix the oil with others if you need to.

For those who say you can't, what about a synthetic "Blend"?
Agree with Jim on everything, also often mix 15W-40 mineral oil with 5W-40 full synthetic
for cooler temperature here spring & fall.

20W-50 fine because you in warmer southern USA.

·
Premium Member
14,324 Posts
The owners manual says 20W-50 is fine as long as the ambient temperature is above 14 degrees F. That should make it work just fine for you in Florida.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I would never assume that the oil had been changed at 4000 miles, maybe it was changed a 600 and never been changed since then. How do you know that the oil indicator was reset, or maybe not reset. I would always change my oil and filter when I got a new used bike so I know where I stand with my oil and filter changes regardless of what the previous owner told me. They could have used the wrong oil, or a cheap grade of oil just to get rid of the bike, now I now saying that they did, it's just that I want to know what's in there.

John

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would think the key word in tbones' question is synthetic. When I was working, I used the Screaming Eagle 20w50 synthetic oil in my Harley. Working the midnight shift, the bike would sit outside all night, and start fine in the mid 30* mornings. Would a 20w50 dino oil do that? Yes, but I would think the starter wouldn't like it. So I would use a full synthetic anywhere, anytime.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. Now I feel safe with the 20w 50 Amsoil synthetic oil since it dose not get that cold here normally. Last winter I think the lowest it got here in west central florida was 32 degrees F and that was only for about 2 hours. It was free oil. And trainman you are right I should have already changed the oil but was reluctant to do much maintenance until I found this site along with Mitch's videos on youtube. This is my first bike. Thanks all and ride safe.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Sure wish I could get 2 quarts of Amsoil 20w-50 synthetic motorcycle oil for free.:D

·
Administrator
21,753 Posts
Sure wish I could get 2 quarts of Amsoil 20w-50 synthetic motorcycle oil for free.:D
Ya just gota run faster than the counter-clerks at Autozone. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts