Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The morning mist still hangs heavy in the air as I head the Silver Steed toward the rising sun. The Steed just had her 600 mile service, and is raring to stretch her legs. Our destination for the day is Amish country, and my old hometown, Sugarcreek, Ohio.

We roll onto Route 97 and pass through Blooming Grove, birthplace of our 29th President, Warren G. Harding. Past Lexington we stop near the Interstate for fuel. Back on the road it's past the Gazebo in Bellville and through the Clear Fork Valley to Butler where we take aim for Mohican State Park.

Soon we snake our way down Goon Road and ride across Pleasnat Hill Dam. After a short stop for a photo op, we head into the Forest, and down the twisty, narrow road to the Covered Bridge. After climbing back out of the gorge it's on to Loudonville where we find Route 39 which rolls it's way into the heart of Amish Country, Holmes County. A trip around courthouse square in Millersburg reveals the hitching posts provided for the buggies.

We head north out of Millersburg on Route 241. In Benton we stop at the Amish bakery, what a disappointment to discover it's closed. Off to a wedding the sign in the door announces. The Auction House in Mt. Hope is our next stop. Buggies and wagons line the hitching rail. After browsing the stalls of the flea market, it's back on the road. At the Ashery, a blacksmith shop, we turn onto Kansas Road, and into Wayne County. Here we discover some of the most scenic farmland imaginable. We pass numerous buggies and buckboards, and see many farmers in the fields working with their teams of large, powerful horses. An Amish school house, complete with his and hers outhouses and a bell tower, to call the children to their lessons provides our next stop.

Soon we arrive in Kidron, home of the famous Lehman's Hardware. Lehman's has anything you can imagine, and hundreds of things you can't. I enjoyed the homemade chocolate ice cream.

Back on the road I turn the Steed's wheel to the south, back into Holmes county and Berlin. I can remember when Berlin (BURR - lin) was a sleepy little Amish town. I used to play softball behind the elementary school. Well, Berlin has woken up in a big way. It's now one big tourist trap, with antique malls and gift shops everywhere. Anxious to get away from the crowds we head east again on Route 39, through Walnut Creek, and into my old hometown, Sugarcreek. A drive through the village reveals not much has changed since my prep school days. The downtown buildings are still decorated in a Swiss theme. Every fall they hold the Swiss Festival, complete with cheese, dancing, wrestling, and yodeling. After a dinner stop, it's back on the road.

Heading south on Route 93 we pass through Baltic, Fresno, and the Pearl Valley. Route 93 through the Pearl Valley is a great cycling road as the pavement twists and turns all the way to Route 36. At route 36 we finally head back west. Near Coshocton we stop at the old Ohio and Erie Canal village of Roscoe. Then it's on west through Warsaw, Newcastle, and Howard before we stop to refuel in Mt. Vernon. The Steed isn't very thirsty. She's gone 175.8 miles since our fuel stop this morning, but only needs 2.50 gallons...that's 70.3 MPG! :)

North on Route 13, then west on Route 95 into the setting sun. We watch as the huge orange ball sinks below the western horizon. At Mt. Gilead we turn north on Route 61, and twenty minutes gets us home just as the last light leaves the sky. It was a great day, and a great trip, 232 miles as recorded on the odometer, and the GPS. Now it's time to get out the maps and plan the next romp for the Silver Steed.

Some pictures of this trip: http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/BuckeyeBurger

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Nice trip report. Thanks. Having written a few of these I know it takes some time to do it. It makes for really good reading though. What you come to realize is that these scooters are a great ticket to adventure, and good rides can be found all over the USA!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I live near Pennsylvania Amish country. On a cycle you definitely want to avoid the "combustion byproducts" that are left by their 1- and 2- horsepower engines. :roll:

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
BuckeyeBurger,
I love the Sugarcreek, Ohio area. I own some apartments up there and it is just beautiful. I haven't had the chance to ride my 650 there yet from Columbus, but would probably hit 70 to 77 north to the Dover exit and hang a left. Love that Amish Der Dutchman in Walnut Creek. Great eats!

Nice report,
Kelly

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Last time I drove on 93, it was a mess. If they have fixed the roads, then that would be the way to go!

·
Registered
9 Posts
amish country...love it

Looking to head that way soon with hubby and friends for a nice ride. Have been there many times by car...but not that I have my 400 I cant wait to take it for a spin up that way. Thanks for the pics and story...loved it! :p Trish

·
Registered
832 Posts
Castalia,Ohio

You can find my Burg400 at our home it is v.near the intersection of rte.101 and rte.412 SW of Castalia OH, stop in anytime.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was working in Fredricksburg today and notices Ruby's restaurant had closed in Mt Eaton. We wanted to ride there this year and eat. Not that there aren't any other restaurants in Holmes County.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts