Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
American beers don't have much of a reputation here in Britain but one of our big pub companies has imported ten US beers for a two-week tryout. Here are the beers: (US comments appreciated)

·
Registered
280 Posts
American beers don't have much of a reputation here in Britain but one of our big pub companies has imported ten US beers for a two-week tryout. Here are the beers: (US comments appreciated)
American comment will be biased just taste them for yourself

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
American comment will be biased just taste them for yourself
A knowledgeable beer-drinker should not be biased. :wave:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Never heard of them. But I have a limited pallet. They all look like micro-brewers to me.

I prefer bourbon and white lightning (moonshine) for the most enjoyment.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
They all look like microbrews.

I have found that most beer of this type, in this country, tend to rely on lots of hopping with Centennial and Cascade hops which have characteristic aromas and citrus flavors. Both can be novel but become tiresome if that's all they have going on. I've always liked Fuggles which gives many UK brews their characteristic flavor.

The Harpoon and Fathead both have some national (at least broad East Coast recognition. If you would like fairly knowledgable reviews of these products, I would check the Great American Beer Festival or World Beer Cup. I expect many of them have appeared there. I also imagine each of them has their own website.

Other than that, I got nothing.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Not a big beer drinker, but I do not drink the mainstream American beers (Budweiser, Miller, Coors, etc). Generally, any of the microbrews here have much more body, taste. All I know is that I do NOT like any kind of IPA. Much too bitter for me. And, why does ANYBODY drink light beer? Too close to water!

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I've not heard of any of these. Look like regional micro-brews.
Uncap at your own risk. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
My mum was British (a "war bride") which makes my taste lean toward a good ale, Harpoon has been around for years (over 25), and is a good ale.

I do not know any of the others, however there has been a flood of micro-breweries established over the last 5 to 7 years. Chatman128 hit the correct nail quite evenly--they do have a boring sameness, quite like contemporary automobiles...

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Yep in the US microbrews are almost on every corner - we have a few brew pubs around here and one specializes in an ever changing list of ales, its actually a little annoying, you find an ale you like and next visit its gone !

When i first discovered FAT tire in Colorado in the mid 90's it had hardly made it out of the state now you can buy it all over the place.

So sorry cant help you out on these particular ones, also my tastes have changed a lot since i got here in '96 (before i came i was a Lager lout) and now drink all sorts of beers, for example i never would have thought of drinking Hefeweizen when i first got here, now its a nice change once in a while.

Also UK beliefs about US beers, and btw vice versa ( all uk beers are not warm ! ) , are not well represented by Coors, Bud etc. its like comparing Courage best and a real ale

enjoy and please drink responsibly :)

·
Administrator
18,769 Posts
While not the brews listed, I have drank a few Harpoon's and Elysian's. I am not so much an ale drinker as a Lager. There are some really good micro brewed lagers. Lagers take longer to brew and everyones in a hurry. The double hopped IPA's are too bitter for me. But a German style Pilsen, ahhhhhh, BURP. :D "Give me a Dink" http://www.dinkelacker.de/index2.php

I drink BUD when its all there is and its free, but I pee 2:1. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Yep in the US microbrews are almost on every corner - we have a few brew pubs around here and one specializes in an ever changing list of ales, its actually a little annoying, you find an ale you like and next visit its gone !

When i first discovered FAT tire in Colorado in the mid 90's it had hardly made it out of the state now you can buy it all over the place.

So sorry cant help you out on these particular ones, also my tastes have changed a lot since i got here in '96 (before i came i was a Lager lout) and now drink all sorts of beers, for example i never would have thought of drinking Hefeweizen when i first got here, now its a nice change once in a while.

Also UK beliefs about US beers, and btw vice versa ( all uk beers are not warm ! ) , are not well represented by Coors, Bud etc. its like comparing Courage best and a real ale

enjoy and please drink responsibly :)
+1
Reminds me of the old comparison between American beer, and making love in a canoe...................

I will say the beers available in the US have improved a lot in the 14 years I've been here, though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts