Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
20,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I had a rear tire blow out. Heres what I posted:

OK, tonight I had a blow out on the rear. I heard what sounded like steel pins tinkeling on tile as I was in the HOV lane and all of a sudden the bike was all over the road. I am amazed I did not crash. I was doing well above the posted 60 MPH, flow of traffic thing. I had "Jersey Barrier" on the left side with no shoulder to go left and huge truck on my right so I had to ride it out for 1/8 mile at 35 MPH with 70+ MPH traffic. I called AMA for roadside assistance. They tried for 3 hours to get me a tow, finally they called our State Patrol and asked for a recommended towing company and 35 minuets later "Starbucks" towing showed up. He even had a rolling wheel chock for bikes. Its 11:10 PM and I got home about 45 minuets ago. I will look at the tire to see what popped it in the AM.

I have had blow outs on bikes before and this one was not too much different than a motorcycle tire on the rear. Very hard to control. Not wanting to repeat it soon, if ever.
I was on the side of the road for over 3 hours. But understanding that any call for assistance at 6 PM during the rush hour "CRASH" times, all towing companys are responding to L.E.O. calls to clear the roads of any crashes.

Like I said, I have had about 4 rear tire flats and 3 front flats on a bike, Most all were with a motorcycle tires front and rear. This was my first Car Tire flat and it seems not too much different than the other ones.

Overall I am glad I had AMA service. The tow to my house was 32 miles and my coverage is 35 so no bill to me. But the driver said even if it went over that his boss said not to bill me. :)

·
Administrator
20,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John, I classify a Blow out as a sudden loss of air. A slow leak flat is not so bad and I have had a few of those in my days too but they do not become violent to operate. A blow out becomes very violent to the rider with the bike trying to crash at every swerve.

The tire looks OK but it makes a hissing sound when I lift the weight off and it trys to fill the flattened area.

I have a Federal Formosa FD2 155/65 HR 14 on the rear.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
That Depends on the Speeds, That's True Dave J, on a scooter the bike will just Slow down to a Crawl, Now a Motorcycle might be some what different Since there tires are Taller.

here's a Video i found on that

·
Administrator
20,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Erik, we could just fill the tires with foam. :D Changing them by cutting them off with a Saws-all would get old.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Come to think of it, I did have a sudden loss of air on a bike, it was a tube type and the area around the valve stem completely separated from the tube. Went flat is seconds. That was a scary situation!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have seen several posts on this site about tire issues. Is this because of the quality of tires available for scooters, or is it because of the smaller rim diameter (13 inch scooter rims vs 17+ inch bike rims)? Or does it just seem there are lots of tire issues because of the popularity of the forums?

·
Administrator
20,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have seen several posts on this site about tire issues. Is this because of the quality of tires available for scooters, or is it because of the smaller rim diameter (13 inch scooter rims vs 17+ inch bike rims)? Or does it just seem there are lots of tire issues because of the popularity of the forums?
Eh, YES.

A lot of tire delamanating/bulging on motorcycle tires it seems. It does happen to car tires too but 10,000 car tires to how many motorcycle tires are made yearly. Smaller diameter may play in to chuck-hole damage too. 100 years ago it took weeks for some news to get across USA, now post it on the NET and as soon as your finger gets off the button, someone in Moscow Russia sees it and laughs.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Come to think of it, I did have a sudden loss of air on a bike, it was a tube type and the area around the valve stem completely separated from the tube. Went flat is seconds. That was a scary situation!
I had a blow out on the rear about fifty years ago & that was an A ride in any park. I used to worry about it quite a bit but with tubeless tires it is far less likely & even if it happens the tires should stay on the rim better.
When it happened the tire kept flipping from side to side & I would shoot off first one way and just when i thought I would crash I would suddenly shoot off the other way. You can't imagine how hard it is to push your bike to the freeway exit with your pants full of ... .... .. -

·
Administrator
20,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well my old Bridgestone Potenza I had to put on when this tire went flat is getting VERY worn out so today I went to Discount Tire and bought a GT Radial Champiro 185/60 HR 14. Took me about 15 minuets to remove the Formosa FD2 but I got too cold to try mounting this new one. I have to clean up all the "SLIME" tire sealant too.

Oh yes it is much taller and wider that the 155/65 HR 14 Formosa FD2. I know I must grind down the casting flash on the outer areas of the swing arm to clear this tall of a tire. I will also paint the bottom of my trunk white to see if the tire rubs.

Compaired to a 160/60 HR 14 BattleAX, in my 41 mile one way commute, this taller tire will show abour 38.8 miles for the same commute and when I was doing 72 MPH to keep up with traffic flow, now I will keep up at 68 MPH so now no more doing 72 in a 60 MPH zone. :)

I will give a follow up after I get this tire on the bike.

Oh, this tire cost me $39 + $3.71 sales tax and is rated at 40,000 Miles. It is this one: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fi...pc=15090&ar=60&rf=true&rd=14&rc=WASINT&cs=185

·
Administrator
20,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got around to cleaning up the slime off the rim. WHAT A MESS. If I were a tire installer, I'd be PI$$ED and charge ya $10 extra.

I had a few knicks in the rim so some 220 grit on a block followed by some 800 grit smoothed them out.

Getting this size tire on the rim is a bit harder. My tire irons gave my arms a work out for sure. Got the pressure up to 65 PSI and would not even look like it would seat. let the air out and re soaped the rim and tire with NAPA tire lube. At 55 PSI I got the first "PING" and let it sit. An hour went by, while I was watching the Olympics, there came a "PING" from the garage. :D Aired it to 40 PSI and will check it in the AM. I will put it on the bike if all is good in the AM.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts