Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In trying to listen to one of my favorite talk radio shows (the initials are RL) on AM I was overwhelmed by the static radiating from the scoot. (I had the little radio strapped to the hump in the middle of the handlebars.)

Has anyone found a way to cancel the engine noise on the am band whilst riding around?

The radio is a Sony. Powered by 1 AAA battery, no option for external power.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Move the radio. Experiment. It might do better in your pocket, or on the back seat, or in a backpack on you back. Heck, the best place may be taped to your helmet. I doubt you'll be able to change the scooter any to reduce interference, but you could try different materials between the radio and the hump to see if anything will block the interference. Lead or tin foil comes to mind.

Good luck.

Dave B.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Noise In Aftermarket Radios

This is a big problem with many/most/all modern vehicles. Reason is the digital chips in the electronics. All these have oscillators in them, and many are poorly shielded. Even the smallest digital display is an "alternating current" device. Quieting the vehicle can be an endless wild goose chase. Best chance for success is to keep noise from coming through power leads to the vehicle with "hash filters" and "roll off capacitors", which is pretty easy. Or just use batteries. THEN find the quietest place on the vehicle to mount the radio. Good luck. Finally, susceptibility of radios to interference can depend partly on the selectivity and sensitivity of the radio. A better radio should (most times) perform better. You may even find noises coming and going as you operate things like stop lights, hi beams, etc. Read & weep.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
We used to have quite a problem with ignition 'noise' while operating C.B. radios and a vehicle while it was running. There are noise filters/suppressers available that connect 'in-line' on spark plug wire(s) and coil wire (a few types out there). Not sure if this will eliminate the interference you are speaking of but if the noise rate increases in direct proportion to your RPMs it may certainly be worth asking someone more familiar with this type problem. I'd call a Honda dealer and talk to someone (worthy) in the service department. It's likely they've seen similar issues with GWs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts