Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a stupid question... :oops:

Tonight, after a ride in hot temperature (85F) I heard a sound coming from the front of my burgman (something like a fan) after I turned the engine off.

So my question is : is there a fan there ? Is it normal that I had never heard that sound before (it is the first hot day here, it was much more colder before that) ? Is there a fan supposed to cool down the engine when driving in hot temperature ?

Sorry if that really sounds stupid, but I want to know if that sound is normal... :oops:

Thanks.

PS : I only have 600 km on my 3 weeks old burgman.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Thats exactly what you are hearing. Nothing to worry about just wnjoy your rides. But isnt it great that you can actually hear the fan. How many other bikes could you hear over the engine and exhaust enough to hear the fan kick in and out ? I love how quiet (stealthy) the Burgmans are.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your answer!!

Another one... :oops: : I suppose that it is normal too that the inside of the trunck gets hot after a long ride in hot weather ?

I am knew to big modern machine. I had a honda 250 elite from 1985 before that and I was used to the sound of my honda after 4 years of riding. Know, I have to learn different sounds and get used to them...

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Yes, it gets a bit warm in the trunk. It is right behind the engine.

If you get too carried away with listening for noises, you'll drive youself nuts. All motorcycles have mechanical noises. They don't have the sound deadening insulation that cars have. I heard a guy ride past me on a Kawaski Concours last week (I was on foot - no helmet - no other traffic noise). I remember thinking - geez, that sounds like a threshing machine.
I rode a Concours for 6 years and 66,000 miles - happily, no significant problems. But compared to the Burgman, it sounded like a bunch of bolts were rolling around loose inside of it.

Most of the mechanical noise from a Concours comes from the cam chain. It is characteristic of that model - just as the dieseling sound at idle is characteristic of the Burgman 650. These sounds are normal, and do not indicate that anything is going wrong.

Most of the mechanical clatter is heard while idleing.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I found out about the heat under the seat after a trip to the store, the frozen food did not make it (the store was 50 miles one way). I now use an old insulated saddle bag under the seat, works fine. :)

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
My 400 and the SilverWing I had both got warm in the trunk. One of the things I miss from my 650 is the trunk on the 650 does not heat up because the engine is more forward.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts