Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much research... I went to my nearest Suzuki dealer to pick up a Burgman 400 tonight. Their initial quote (out-the-door) was $7,500+, which I thought was ridiculous. After haggling for a while, the lowest they were willing to go was $6,750. I told them I'd have to sleep on it and left...

Is it me, or does this price seem unnecessarily high? They claim the Burgers are so popular that they "can't" let them go for any less than that etc. Is this price fair? Did any of you Burger 400 owners pay this much?

Any advice or experiences appreciated,
CINCNORAD

·
Registered
21 Posts
$$ for a Burgman 400

It may depend on where you are. I recently priced out '03 Burgman 400's in the Philadelphia area at a half dozen dealers. Base prices ranged from $4699-$5046. On top of that, some dealers added "transportation" charge, ($0-$125), setup (0-$290), notary ($0-$55), licence/reg ($62-$99) and of course tax (6% in PA).

Out the door ranged from $5387 to $5651. I paid $5456 from a dealer that came highly recommended.

For '04 models, most wanted list ($5599) plus the above expenses. One was willing to go to $5298 for the base bike plus expenses.

So, in a nutshell, the prices your being quoted are WAY out of line compared to what I was quoted.

Good luck in your shopping. If you can, at least compare 3 dealers' prices so you have an idea of what the range is.

-Ted

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: $$ for a Burgman 400

tdi said:
It may depend on where you are. I recently priced out '03 Burgman 400's in the Philadelphia area at a half dozen dealers. Base prices ranged from $4699-$5046. On top of that, some dealers added "transportation" charge, ($0-$125), setup (0-$290), notary ($0-$55), licence/reg ($62-$99) and of course tax (6% in PA).

Out the door ranged from $5387 to $5651. I paid $5456 from a dealer that came highly recommended.

For '04 models, most wanted list ($5599) plus the above expenses. One was willing to go to $5298 for the base bike plus expenses.

So, in a nutshell, the prices your being quoted are WAY out of line compared to what I was quoted.

Good luck in your shopping. If you can, at least compare 3 dealers' prices so you have an idea of what the range is.

-Ted
Thanks for the info Ted.

I'm in Los Angeles, CA.

Yes, I saw the breakdown of their extra expenses and it added up to about $1,500. They had a "freight" charge for about 500 dollars for the transportation... Totally ridiculous.

·
Registered
308 Posts
yo dude

I paid 6650 for a 03 Burgie 650, no extra charges.

The dealer said that all those extra tacked on charges called, 'doc prep, setup etc., are "CHUMP CHARGES> They have to setup up every bike and ATV anyhow. DOcumentation charges? Hand them a pen. Shipping? Give me a break.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Re: yo dude

abm said:
I paid 6650 for a 03 Burgie 650, no extra charges.

The dealer said that all those extra tacked on charges called, 'doc prep, setup etc., are "CHUMP CHARGES> They have to setup up every bike and ATV anyhow. DOcumentation charges? Hand them a pen. Shipping? Give me a break.
abm, what was you out-the-door price including tax and registration?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Re: yo dude

abm, what was you out-the-door price including tax and registration?[

6650 OTD of the dealer. In MA and NH taxes are collected by the state.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
CINCNORAD, that price quote is incredible. Hello, the *MSRP* of a Burg 400 is only about $5,700! I'd say don't walk, RUN to another dealer!

Here's a link to a thread describing my recent experience buying two ANK400s in upstate New York. Hope it helps!

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=381

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
$5,400 for a 400 burg. put 3,000 miles on it in 4 months. Traded it in for a new 650, $2,500 pluse the 400. Total on the 650 $7,900 with 3,000 miles and 4 months of riding a 400.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took everyone's advice and RAN from that dealership. Made several calls today, got a quote, called another dealer, told them the quote and asked if they could beat it, then called another and did the same thing etc. Finally ended up getting a Silver 2004 Burgman 400 in Santa Clarita! Got a decent price ($5,650 out-the-door). Just waiting for it to be delivered now!

Thanks for everyone's advice on this. I almost got totally suckered by the evil people at Honda of Hollywood. I even called them with the offer from Santa Clarita and asked if they could beat it. Told them what a rip-off they were trying to get away with. They STILL wouldn't budge on the $6,750. Don't EVER shop there.

Thanks for the help everyone,
CINCNORAD

·
Registered
308 Posts
Its a new age

With the advent of the Internet, which I invented, scooter buyers will have more leverage over dealers who wnat , "all the money". You cant have all the money anymore, as there will always be another dealer that is a little hungrier.

Great invention, huh?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Way to go CINCNORAD!
Congrats on your new scooter and welcome to this fine board.

abm

Yah! great invention :lol:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dealer Ripp Off

The dealer is taking you for a ride. Go to http://www.traderonline.com. I just bought my 650Burgman for $7434.83 Tax, Title and 4 year unlimited mileage extended warranty from Suzuki. ($6575.00 before Uncle Sam and Warranty) Look around I had to drive 100 miles but it was worth the savings. The 400 Burgman was I beleive $4799.00-4899.00. Good Luck!! We are really enjoying ours.

·
Registered
793 Posts
West LA Fade Away

Way to go CINCNORAD!

Back in '99, I was having new tires put on my CB750LT at Hollywood Honda while waiting
around in the showroom across the street from the shop and every 20 minutes
a sales guy would ask if I needed any help.
I thought it was a museum because they had the Suzuki rotory bike
on display along with other "classics".

You'll be riding up the grapevine for Burgman service in Santa Clarita? Burr!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: West LA Fade Away

ajwood said:
Way to go CINCNORAD!

Back in '99, I was having new tires put on my CB750LT at Hollywood Honda while waiting
around in the showroom across the street from the shop and every 20 minutes
a sales guy would ask if I needed any help.

You'll be riding up the grapevine for Burgman service in Santa Clarita? Burr!
Thanks for the congrats ajwood.

I don't have to service it in Santa Clarita do I? I asked about service contracts... they told me they didn't have them there. Can't I just drive it to Suzuki of North Hollywood 5 miles away or something?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Re: West LA Fade Away

ajwood said:
Way to go CINCNORAD!

Burr!
The RE-5 !!!! A great bike..I had one. Rode from Boston to Labrador on it. Oil pump crapped out in the woods of Labrador. Good samaritan trucked me hundreds of miles to Goose bay, only Suzy daler in LB. No oil oumps for RE-5.....I sold it for 50% of what I paid one year previous. Took bus to St. Johns NF. Flew home.

·
Registered
793 Posts
abm: ...RE5.....I sold it for 50% of what I paid one year previous. Took bus to St. Johns NF. Flew home.
Somewhere on the web, there's an article about original RE5 development
and how Suzuki overcame design problems.
You don't want to read it.

----

Yes the Burgman can be serviced at the dealer of your choice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts