Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local Suzuki dealer has offered me an "out-the-door" price of $8100
for an '03 650. Is this a good deal?

I'd also like to ask a question about ABS Brakes. I'm leaning towards
getting the 650,but because I live on a hillside and have a very long,
steep driveway, I'm thinking maybe the Honda Silverwing with ABS might
be a better, safer choice for me. What do you think?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Gregory,

Welcome to BurgmanUSA. I personally do not think ABS brakes would be of much benefit in negotiating your driveway. In all discussions I've seen to date, the Burgman 650 is considered to be a superior machine to the SilverWing - that includes folks that have owned both. It is more powerful, handles better, has a more advanced transmission, and the build quality seems to be better.

$8100 is more than I paid for my '03 in September of 2003. It seems to be way high - even if it was an '04. Scan the forum and you'll see what others have been paying.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Your neck of the woods isn't known for low prices on anything, so maybe that's the going rate in the Bay Area, but the only way to know is to shop around.

I paid a little more than that, but I've been told I should have haggled.

I got mine for $7488 + $644.97 Vehicle Tax + $79.50 Title, Registration, and Bank Lien Release Fee for a total of $8211.47.

I've read of some people getting theirs for under $7000, but haven't seen the actual figures. And they weren't on the West Coast.

The Burgman 650 doesn't have ABS (other than the Executive model sold in Europe/Asia) nor combined front/rear brakes like the Hondas and the Burgman 400; but I don't think you'll have any trouble with them. ABS hasn't been around all that long, and lots of people have ridden bikes in San Francisco, Seattle, etc. for years.

With the rear brakes on the left grip and the front brakes on the right grip I feel like I have very good brake control/feel. Because of the centrifugal clutch you do need to keep a little power on when going down steep hills at low speed, which can be counter intuitive. Otherwise you'll start to freewheel and, to avoid accelerating, you'll have to use too much brake without benefit of the engine braking effect.

But you should get used to it quickly. I did.

In the last month I've ridden in the Olympic and Cascade mountains, and 5 of Seattle's 7 hills -- no problemo. 8)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Brian said:
I've read of some people getting theirs for under $7000, but haven't seen the actual figures. And they weren't on the West Coast.
My '04 was $7,300 out the door. I had to shop around, and ended up driving about 6 hours with a truck and a trailer to get it.

·
Super Moderator
8,077 Posts
Seems a bit high, does it include the extended warrenty?
If it does then it's a fair price.
Being in Cal. the polution controls "may" add more to the cost
Typically 7,000-7,600 is what I'm seeing PLUS tax, reg, etc.

"wait" add that all that up seems about right.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Gregory said:
A local Suzuki dealer has offered me an "out-the-door" price of $8100
for an '03 650. Is this a good deal?

I'd also like to ask a question about ABS Brakes. I'm leaning towards
getting the 650,but because I live on a hillside and have a very long,
steep driveway, I'm thinking maybe the Honda Silverwing with ABS might
be a better, safer choice for me. What do you think?
Here in a TOUGH market in San Diego, California, I paid $7450.00 OUT THE DOOR> NO other fees, NO other costs. This for an 04 with 0 miles.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Don’t forget the used market looking in cycletrader.com

I picked mine up that way with 1200 miles on it for quite a bit less than new. Seems many folks buy it and decide it’s not for them, but you need to be patient and have cash or arrange the financing yourself.

You typically also can save on the other fees this way as well.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The SF Bay area is a huge market with dozens of dealers competing for business. The number you mentioned is too high. In my experience you can simply call around and find a dealer willing to sell for MSRP as your OTD price, all inclusive. If you want to really shop and grind, you can do a bit better.

Peace.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i live here in south florida, also a high priced place to live...maybe not quite as high as california though, i got mine from a popular dealer around here for $7150 out the door including all takes and fees...my suggestion is be a tough negotiator.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Offer 6500 - no prep or delivery fees. FINAL.

Then you can add your taxes and license reg - which should never be discussed in OTD price comparos.

·
Registered
520 Posts
abm said:
Offer 6500 - no prep or delivery fees. FINAL.

Then you can add your taxes and license reg - which should never be discussed in OTD price comparos.[/quote

In selling motorcycles and cars, "out the door" refers to price with ALL fees, INCLUDING tax & lic. etc. This should represent the TRE final cost of purchase, hence, "out the door". How on earth is any price "out the door" if it does NOT include any & all fees? Never heard of such a thing. Except by shady dealers of course. :oops:

·
Registered
969 Posts
In my case, I understood OTD to not include Lic/tax, because I bought out of state. I still feel I got a pretty good deal, saved well over $1000 over the suggested retail + paperwork costs + delivery + etc., etc., ad infinitum.

My OTD price was $6800 plus 6% upon registration plus $48 lic.

·
Registered
520 Posts
wasions said:
In my case, I understood OTD to not include Lic/tax, because I bought out of state. I still feel I got a pretty good deal, saved well over $1000 over the suggested retail + paperwork costs + delivery + etc., etc., ad infinitum.

My OTD price was $6800 plus 6% upon registration plus $48 lic.
You got a SUPER deal in my opinion! Hey, ya have a Rocket huh? Just sold my Tour Easy. Funny how many ways to ride on 2 wheels huh? Mike

·
Registered
793 Posts
Find a Bay Area (maybe south bay) dealership that does blowout
pricing, that is, overstocked and possibly a model year older than current.

If you have to go to Sacramento or Ukiah or Fresno or Roseville, do it over the
savings of almost $1,000.
You can get a lot of service for $1,000 and you don't need to buy a dealerships
first service or warranty by buying the bike there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just wanted to say thank you to all of you that posted feedback, you've
all been very helpful.

The $8100 OTD did Not include an extended warrenty, or free first service,
or anything else extra.

Living here in California, and more specifically living in the S.F. Bay Area,
EVERYTHING is going to be more expensive than everywhere else. I simply may not be able to get an OTD price like all of you did :(

But... I'll shop around and see what happens. Again, thanks all!

P.S. - This same dealer that gave me the $8100 on the '03 Burgman also
has an '03 Honda Silverwing with ABS and offered an OTD of $7100. I
really like the Burgman but I gotta admit.... I'm tempted! Lord, give me Strength!

·
Registered
247 Posts
This is not going to help much but just to give you an idea of what a used Burg goes for in Canada.
2003 650 with 3500km (1800 miles) Dealer wants $8000 Canadian which converts to $6050 US. That same bike new sold for around $10300 Canadian which converts to $7800 US.
Kind of makes me worry about the trade-in value of the Burgman - in case I want to upgrade to an '05 :wink:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Arby said:
This is not going to help much but just to give you an idea of what a used Burg goes for in Canada.
2003 650 with 3500km (1800 miles) Dealer wants $8000 Canadian which converts to $6050 US. That same bike new sold for around $10300 Canadian which converts to $7800 US.
Kind of makes me worry about the trade-in value of the Burgman - in case I want to upgrade to an '05 :wink:

I went to KBB.com BEFORE I bought my new 04 Silver. I already new it was worth nothing used. Same with all my Metric bikes vs my Harleys I've owned. But I bought it to enjoy for NOW. I am willing to pay the "price" for anything that can make this old man smile like this these days! Figure I'll keep it till I'm done riding. Convert it to a Scooter Trike or something weird if it comes to it, but I hope I'll just hang onto it till the end......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts