Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been going to the occasional Bike Night at the local Cycle Gear shop. Lately they have started to do a "Slow" Bike Race. They block off a section of parking lot and race 2 by 2 to see who puts their feet down first or crosses the finish line Last. It is done on a bracket system down to the last pairing for the win and a $25 gift card. I decided to try it last month for kicks. Well after the very first bracket win nobody would even try to compete with me. :cool:
Since I was the only no-clutch, non-shifting bike entered they decided to give out a second place $25 as well to be "Fair".
So was I cheating :D or was it fair? ;)

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
How could you have been cheating? Well, there is really a clutch in there isn't there? $25 better in your pocket than someone else's!:D

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Nah, everything is fair in scooter vs bike competition. :p ;) :D

·
Registered
748 Posts
You have no tank to grip with your knees. You're just a better rider, and the Burg is just a better bike.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
It's only cheating if you get black balled. :laughing5:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Well, not cheating, but you do have an advantage with the hand mount rear brake. You can work that puppy better than any MC with its brick-like foot pedal. They don't have near the finesse with a booted foot.

Add the throttle / clutch work and higher CG of the MCs, and you've just got a better setup. Is that any different than the GP racer who's got a better setup than the competition on race day? Nah. Yours was just the better bike and you the better rider for that particular type of race.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
This is copied from a topic on a Silverwing forum I also go to. Just passing it along, food for thought. :p

I am going to post this, but I won't debate it or anything...... just putting a heads up out there for those who are interested in doing an iron butt.

Do your research on the term: Racing.

Many states have adopted rules about racing on public highways.... as defined as:

Oregon state law: 811.125
Speed racing on highway

(1) A person commits the offense of speed racing on a highway if, on a highway in this state, the person drives a vehicle or participates in any manner in any of the following in which a vehicle is involved:

(a) A speed competition or contest.

(b) An acceleration contest.

(c) A test of physical endurance.

(d) An exhibition of speed or acceleration.

(e) The making of a speed record.

(f) A race. For purposes of this paragraph, racing is the use of one or more vehicles in an attempt to outgain, outdistance or prevent another vehicle from passing, to arrive at a given destination ahead of another vehicle or vehicles or to test the physical stamina or endurance of drivers over long distance driving routes.

(2) The offense described in this section, speed racing on a highway, is a Class A traffic violation and is applicable on any premises open to the public. [1983 c.338 §568; 1985 c.16 §287]

NOW..... here is one more item to consider:

Geico Motorcycle Insurance Exception Page on your policy.... check it. Mine said that the rider must limit the daily miles to be 500 miles or less in any one 24 hour period, if more than, your policy is voided by this exception.

Do your own research on your own policy and your own state law rules. I know that Washington State has a very similar law that Oregon has.

No judgements, I don't have a dog in this fight because I don't see any value in sitting on a motorcycle for 1000 miles in one day.... don't see any reason why I would ever consider doing it after doing my own personal research on it.

I am not saying don't debate this. I just felt it necessary to post as I am a serious motorcyclist and scooter rider and felt an obligation to post it so that others become aware of these issues.

NOTE: Calling your insurance agent and having him tell you "Don't worry about that exception.... is wrong advice. When the accident adjustor notices that you have IB 1000 paper work in your possession or spewn around the accident site, they will report it. Cuz your agent told you not worry about it, does not change the exception policy. Your signature is on the document.

Be careful how you compete with other riders on any grounds. So you are at a Goldwing Gathering and they are doing the "see who can ride the slowest" and you fall over with your $25,000 motorcycle and break your ankle. That is competition riding. Not covered.... perhaps. Just be careful about this is all I am saying.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Which mean when you pay for and take intermediate or advance motorcycle course and have side by side competition with 2 ft wide course with several gate and curve that you can only do very slowly and must hold position for 1-2 second then slowly continu or when have side by side cone riding, this this could be interpretation racing, contest or competition.

Just saying. :eek: (Learn this on BUSA.)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Scootereno;771961". So was I cheating :D or was it fair? ;)[/QUOTE said:
Yes of course you were cheating.. Now go to the cycle shop and use that card to buy me two new oil filters. Mail them to me ( postage paid please).

Only then can the guilt from your sins be forgiven.

Blakers

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yes you were not cheating or No, you weren't cheating.... It was their fault for not establishing size, type, category etc etc etc (to make it far, dontch know)....... Scooters would compete against scooters, and so on.... but for the prize of $25.00... I would go back with a friend that has a scooter and scoop up on 1st and 2nd prize.... If they give out a third place prize... Show up with two scooter owner friends until the money runs out....is it cheating.... Look at it this way, as long as they hand out money, I would show up.... Why not.. If they allow it, then do it...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Our low CG probably helps most. Our clutch seems a disadvantage to me since it is tied to engine RPM. Maybe I am inexperienced with it but I was more skillful at very slow maneuvers with standard m/c's than I am (yet) with my Burger.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have been going to the occasional Bike Night at the local Cycle Gear shop. Lately they have started to do a "Slow" Bike Race. They block off a section of parking lot and race 2 by 2 to see who puts their feet down first or crosses the finish line Last. It is done on a bracket system down to the last pairing for the win and a $25 gift card. I decided to try it last month for kicks. Well after the very first bracket win nobody would even try to compete with me. :cool:
Since I was the only no-clutch, non-shifting bike entered they decided to give out a second place $25 as well to be "Fair".
So was I cheating :D or was it fair? ;)
Scootereno, as long as you were within their rules then you are not cheating but I would expect that bikes with automatic transmissions will be forbidden in the rules when you next return. Maybe you can talk to them before the next bike night and get them to run a separate division for bikes with automatic transmissions. With separate awards. As it is, you will always win unless someone comes in with another scooter and they can balance/trail brake better than you.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I find it harder to ride slow on the 400 than on a normal bike so think you did very well indeed.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I truly believe that the linked brakes of my 2005 model was the biggest factor! ;)
Nice even controlled low speed power!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
At least you weren't Darksiding it - I might have considered that to be cheating, since I'm pretty certain the Burgs can sit dead still with that low center of gravity and a car tire on the back!

·
Registered
230 Posts
That has given me a great idea .my local rally is coming up and there is always a guy who brings his gsxr 750 on a trailer and enters the burn out comp he always pops the rear tire and wins the $200 for the last 3 years.I should tow my burgman to the rally and entire the go slow,the swallow the sausage,and the go to woe .That should give me a combined prize money of $500 that should not be cheating as it has not been done yet so a precedence has not been set:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts