Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding way out in the sticks, before sunrise....pitch dark, rain threatening in an hour...sitting at a no-turn light in a one-horse town....and the engine dies!
And won't restart...says "CHECK" on the dash. Lights go out every time I try to restart. Well, glad I've just bought triple A for my scoots....as I roll it off of the road.
Wonder if I blew a fuse after 20 mins of high beams through the farming roads...watching for deer....corn all sides higher than my head. Should be light in 45mins...will get out the tools and flash light and pull panel to look at fuses(glad I put that Ermax on so know how/where some fuses are)
Well, maybe there IS a big downside to buying a 27 mos. old left-over new 2013??!
Wait a bit....after 3 scooters...I think....where's the kill switch here in the pitch dark?
Give it a flip...who knows which way in the dark with gloves on?.....and the Suzuki fires instantly.....almost angrily...after my stupidity.
Sorry Mr and Mrs Suzuki for my bad thoughts about you.
Must have nipped the switch when dropping my hand back to the bar after flipping up the face sheild.

Ok, so now I've done this with all three of my scooters. Give myself an unnecessary thrill each time! Geez, only had this 9 days.
Stig

·
Registered
66 Posts
Always the kill switch is the first thing to check on any motorcycle that doesn't start. Everyone has been there and done that.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I once put the kickstand down before I shut down with the kill switch. That was the wrong thing to do that day! Of course I only had a couple of hundred miles on it. Ended up I sat and waited a minute and then went thru it again. Kickstand up, switch on and then kill switch on. It fired up!!

Have not had this happen since.

Learned my lesson to always go thru the same start up and shut down procedure.

Jeff

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never use the kill switch to shut off a scooter or motorcycle.
I was told that it is for emergency use only - and somehow bothers the EFI if used rountinely.
If it is turned off it is always an accident with me...so not the first thing I look for.
But, happily, I do eventually look at it!
Stig

·
Registered
244 Posts
My kill switch is jammed open with tape to prevent accidentally touching it. I have never used a kill switch, always use the ignition switch instead. I'm not sure why it's there.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I never use the kill switch to shut off a scooter or motorcycle.
I was told that it is for emergency use only - and somehow bothers the EFI if used routinely.
If it is turned off it is always an accident with me...so not the first thing I look for.
But, happily, I do eventually look at it!
Stig
Five years ago when I bought my V-Star, I was also told at the dealer that the KILL switch is for emergency use and the reason it was RED is so that it can be located quickly in an emergency and there was a keyed ignition switch to used for turning on and off the ignition system.
I disregarded that information because it was from the Yamaha dealer and therefore wrong.
A year and a half later, while riding my V-Star between Las Vegas and Beatty I pulled over at a roadside table to stretch my legs, get a drink and take a look at the road atlas. I was off the bike for around 30 minutes or so. I had used the KILL switch (as was my habit) to shut the engine off. I was pulled abreast of the table and didn't notice my lights were still on because I forgot to turn the ignition switch off.
Time to leave, I flip the kill switch on, I reach down to turn the ignition key on and realized the ignition was still on (OH Shoot *&$#@*). I push the start button and get 1/2 a crank. Then nothing. Mind you in Nevada when you are in the middle of nowhere, you are in the middle of nowhere IN the Mojave Desert, no sticks, no cell service, not even a horse. If there were a few people around we could have push started it. There is a reason the Loneliest Road in America is in Nevada. I waited 3 hours before a rancher towing a trailer with bales of hay pulled into the roadside rest area to use the restroom. Luckily, He had jumper cables and through trial and error we were able to kind of connect full size cables to my small battery connectors. Having had a 750 Shadow, Kymco 500 and now my Burgman,
I learned my lesson. Other than an Emergency, there isn't any reason to use the Red Kill Switch if the Keyed Ignition Switch is working properly.

The rancher also advised me that VERIZON had the most coverage in Nevada. Found that to be true too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts