Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I noted that a part of the mesh on my summer gloves was starting to pull apart at the seam at the thumb. These were the Tourmaster Summer Elite 3 and I really liked them a lot. They were perfect for using in temps from 60F and up over 100F. Not a lot of mesh but mostly perforated leather. I started looking for a replacement. At first I was thinking of just replacing with the same glove. But then I was thinking of considering something different before I just jumped back to what I had. I found the Alpinestars Copper gloves as well as a few others were in the short list. The Alpinstars Copper gloves won. Reading the descriptions, especially on Motorcycle.com, indicated they had good protection and good airflow. The photos I could find for them all seemed to show a mostly mesh-like material without much over the knuckles with some extra padding on the back of the fingers. I ordered a pair from J&P Cycles since they had them for the same price as anywhere else at the time, with no shipping charge, and they were the only place that had the black with white logo printing (vs. black with red or gray lettering) which is what I wanted. When they arrived I found that they were exactly as indicated except for one detail that wasn't clear in any of the listings. They have a hard plastic shaped armor piece on the back of the hands behind the mesh-like material to protect the knuckles. They fit great and that armor on the back of the hands should give better protection than most gloves have... other than those with visible hard plastic armor on the outside.

I had stitched the pulled out seam in my old gloves to make it through the rest of this year when I put them away for the season due to cooler weather. I still am riding through the cold temps (was 23F this morning), but obviously not wearing summer gloves. I plan to start using the new Copper gloves next warm season.

· Premium Member
8,533 Posts
good post! one would think, why armor over a flat area like the back of a hand and not over a sticky out part like a knuckle. Then I look down at the back of my left hand and the scar that occasionally still spits out tiny pieces of asphalt.

Reactions: John Holbrook

· Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good post! one would think, why armor over a flat area like the back of a hand and not over a sticky out part like a knuckle. Then I look down at the back of my left hand and the scar that occasionally still spits out tiny pieces of asphalt.
The armor piece is over the knuckles on the back of the hand. You know, those knobby bony parts that stick up when you bend your fingers into a fist. When I was first looking at these gloves I thought there was no real armor there. Then when I first unpacked them I felt the armor and thought that it would be uncomfortable since it extends from the flat part of the back of the hand out past the knuckles to the fingers. But when I tried them on I realized that the shape of that armor is just right to still be comfortable and also protect those knuckles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.