Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha,

I was browsing and found this forum. It looks to be full of some nice people and useful information.

I would like to ask a few questions if that would be alright.

First: I am 28 and have been riding motorcycles and quads since I was 10 years old. I love the freedom riding provides, and the wind in my face. I love using body english, feeling the temperature changes as you crest a hill and drop to the bottom, etc. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about.

Now, my questions are this.

I have been thinking of buying another motobike. I'm trying to decide between a Suzuki SV650 or a Burgman scooter. I know quite a bit about the motocycle, but not the scooter.

Could anyone tell me :

650: Top Speed
400: Top Speed
650: Accerleration time from 0-60
400: Accerleration time from 0-60
600: Range on full tank solo ride
400: Range on full tank solo ride
650: Insurance averages per year
400: Insurance averages per year
650: Normal maintanence
400: Normal maintanence

Any info appreciated!

Mahalo :D

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
MolokaiRider said:
Now, my questions are this.

I have been thinking of buying another motobike. I'm trying to decide between a Suzuki SV650 or a Burgman scooter. I know quite a bit about the motocycle, but not the scooter.

Could anyone tell me :

650: Top Speed
650: Accerleration time from 0-60
600: Range on full tank solo ride
650: Insurance averages per year
650: Normal maintanence
400: Normal maintanence

Any info appreciated!
Mahalo,

Welcome to BurgmanUSA. I've put over 12,000 miles on my Burgman 650 in 1 year. I also ride a Suzuki V-Twin motorcycle, with an engine similar to the SV650, but larger. So, I'll give you the 650 answers. We've got plenty of 400 riders that can handle those questions.

650 Top Speed: I had mine up to 115 mph on the speedometer. The speedometers on all Suzukis seem to read about 10% high. In any event, it will exceed 100 mph.

650 Accelleration 0-60: I've seen figures between 5.8 secs and 7.0 secs. What the stopwatch doesn't tell you, is how quick the machine is in actual street use. It gets its power to the pavement very quickly and easily. A motorcyclist has to work pretty hard to beat you away from a stoplight.

650 Range on full tank: At least 150 miles. I average about 48 mpg, and it has a 4 gallon tank. I usually fill up at about 150 miles and have close to a gallon in reserve. It gets worse mileage when I am loaded for touring and cruising constantly at 80 mph - mileage can drop to 40 mpg under those circumstances. But if you live in Hawaii, I don't think you can maintain a cruise speed of 80 mph for an entire tank anyway. I live in the wide open spaces where freeways have 70 to 75 mph speed limits, and folks drive pretty fast.

650 Insurance: This will vary wildly depending on where you live, your age, your driving record, and the company you insure with. It cost me $109 for full coverage on my Burgman 650 this year, and $269 for the same coverage on my V-Strom 1000cc. That is through Progressive Insurance, 57 years old, clean record, living in Nebraska. I'd guess that your rates will be higher, but that it will cost you less to insure a Burgman 650 than an SV650.

650 maintenance: Scheduled maintenance intervals are every 3500 miles after the initial 600 mile break-in maintenance visit. Exactly the same on my V-Strom - and it will be the same for the SV650. The Burgman 650, V-Stroms, and SV series all use shim under bucket valve adjusters. First scheduled valve adjustment is at 14,500 miles. The Burgman 400 uses threaded adjusters which require checking more frequently.

Those are good questions. One other major advantage of the Burgman 650 over the SV650 is convenience for carrying stuff - 56 liters of lockable underseat storage space plus a lockable glovebox and two additional dash compartments. With the SV650 you'll be using a tankbag, seatpack or backpack.

I've found the scooter to be just as much fun to ride as the motorcycle. I currently have 12,000 miles on the scooter, and 7,500 miles on the motorcycle (I've owned the motorcycle 6 months longer).

Hope this helps. Play with the 'Search' function a bit too. There is a vast amount of information in these forums.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Wekcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Mahalo. Glad to have you join us.

MolokaiRider said:
I've had my 400 to a top speed of 95 (indicated). From other tests (radar and GPS), indicated speed is about 6% high. Under better conditions, I might have been able to eek out another couple of MPH. Acceleration from 85 thru 95 would be considered slow at best.

MolokaiRider said:
Never clocked it. I'm going to do this one of these days. :D

MolokaiRider said:
I've gotten an average MPG of just over 60 MPG. Other riders have reported up to 70 MPG. Depending on the type of riding, I'd say you safely have 180+ miles. I've done just over 180 on a tank.

MolokaiRider said:
As Paul said, this will vary widely based on your state and insurance carrrier. The 650 was quoted around 50% higher than the 400 here in Tennessee.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I just returned from Hawaii. Didn't get to see Molokai, except from above, but it sure is pretty. I ride a Burger 650 and a DR350 (dual purpose bike) here, but rode a borrowed Burg 400 on Oaho, and had rental cars on Maui and B.I. From what I've seen on Hawaii, I wouldn't be without a dual purpose bike. The AN400 seemed ideal on Oaho, where traffic is the absolute worst of all the islands, but there were still places I'd be reluctant to go. The worst thing I can think of about Hawaii, is that you can pretty much see each island on a long weekend. Though they're quite nice riding, to make it more interesting, longer, I'd have to opt for the versitility of a d-p, maybe with a small box on the back.

I absolutely love my 650, it's smooth engine, and liquid handling are fabulous, but it might be overkill over there. The 400 is a little less refined, but quite capable of anything you'd be likely to encounter on the road. Still, if it were me, I'd go for a DRZ400, or even my DR350 as a better all around ride.

Just my 2c.

Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gentlemen,

I appreciate all of your informative replies. :D

I have tossed around the idea of a dual purpose, but opted not to as I have a few quads, and my wife would enjoy just taking nice 40mph cruises at night through twisty beach-side roads as a passenger.

My biggest concern would be maintanence, since I live on a non-developed island. I would have to perform all of these tasks on my own, without the convienence of dealer support. :(

I'm leaning to the 400, as it is more than likely powerful enough for our 45mph speed limits, and should be able to handle the steep hills with two-up riding. (I hope).

If anybody has a little more details on maintanence, and the skill in requires, it would be much appreciated. :thumbright:

Again, thanks for the replies!

Aloha!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Your in luck! If you search this site properly, you will find lots of great information (and pictures to boot). This is a talented group of people here!

You'll find the "search" function at the top of the page.

I would definitely recommend that you get a factory manual also. :book: Fixing your own bike is one of the great aspects of owning a motorcycle.

I also found that a digital camera is a great asset, so that I can take pictures throughout the process. It makes it easier to re-assemble things properly, thereby getting rid of unnecessary stress.

Look forward to hearing about your trips around the Island with your Burgman!

Reg

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
billmeek said:
MolokaiRider said:
Never clocked it. I'm going to do this one of these days. :D
"One of these days" was today. :lol: Time's are accurate to "Bill's certainty and uncertainty principle".... (I'm certain I'm off a bit but uncertain how much) :p 0 - 60 times were around 10 seconds. Checked acceleration 10 tries on fairly flat road.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Aloha Brah,

I live in Kapahulu and have a 400. Next time you come HNL, call me. 732-2225 and I'll show you da 400. It's all you'll ever need for Island riding. I'm on the mainland till Oct 31. I'll look up my insurance papers when I get back and tell you what I had to pay, but I'm a lot older than you.

a hui hou.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Insurance in Honolulu

Hi Molokai Rider,

Just got back from Memphis where I saw lots of motorcyles and few scooters. Seemed like they were trying to get in the last few rides before the cold sets in.

Re: Insurance for the Burgman 400, I can only tell you what it is here in Honolulu. Logic tells me it should be a lot cheaper on Molokai where the risk factors are a lot less intense.

Here's what I (married 64 y.o. male) pay for 6 months coverage through USAA (rounded off):

Bodily injury 100K/200K : $26
Prop damage $50K : 18
Misc med pymts $2k per person: 32
Uninsured motorists: 52
Under-insured motorists: 22
Comprehensive (0 ded): 55
Collision (0 ded): 61

Total for 6 months coverage: $266

Relatively speaking, it's more expensive than my car premiums when you consider the higher value of a Honda Odyssey van that can do a lot more damage to somebody else in a collision. Maybe it has something to do with "No Fault" and the likelihood we bikers will be in an accident.

I have all my maintenance done by the dealer because I'm too tired and lazy to do it myself. But I can see it's no big thing to change oil. There's not much to do in the way of periodic maintenance, so I don't think living on Molokai is that much of a deterrent. Any good mechanic can do the valve adjustment if you don't know how.

I think the 400 is excellent for Island riding. It has no trouble whatsoever going up any of the mountains on Oahu and that's with two of us on board. I'm not getting the kind of mileage mainland riders report; instead of 70mpg, I'm getting about 55 mpg because of the stop and go traffic around here. You should do better.

I haven't checked on the cost of shipping the bike inter-island by Young Brothers but cars aren't too bad on a round trip basis. When the ferry gets going in a few years, it'll be great to come to HNL with your bike. When I bought my Burgman, the dealer was willing to bring one over from his Hilo showroom just for me to look at. Couldn't have been too expensive or he wouldn't have considered doing it.

Hope you find what you want soon. You're missing out on a lot of fun.

A hui hou.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I appreciate the info....

I'm still in limbo as to purchasing the scooter over the motorcycle. I wish I could justify to my wife to purchase a Harley!

Aloha!

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi MolokaiRider

Welcome to the forum :hello2:

Oh I thought you wanted a machine you could 'enjoy' ridin rather than polishin'

The Burger will save you mucho beer coupons on gas and polish!! :wink:

So better mpg, better mpp and way more spm!! :lol:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Scooter vs M Cycle

I love the Burgman n have zero desire to own a Harley. But After reading your " I wish I could justify to my wife to purchase a Harley" I needed to add my 2 cents........

Seems to me that after reading your above sentence U will not B happy w/anything but a Harley.......... And since the Burgman is about as far from a Harley as U can get, U better not get one. .....................

Also, a few of my macho men buddies give me a metric ton of manure on my Burgie being a "girls bike". So if this type of thing bothers U, U better stay w/the flow your bras are in......

FYI: I was hatched in Tripler in 1949 n stayed till I was 9, I was an old Waianea boy most of the time........... To this day one of our pets on the mainland is always named Kuuipo.........

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
MolokaiRider said:
My biggest concern would be maintanence, since I live on a non-developed island. I would have to perform all of these tasks on my own, without the convienence of dealer support. :(
This could be a problem with a Harley. I have a number of friends who have or have bought new Harleys over recent years. Most, if not all of them, have had problems relatively soon after purchase that required service/repairs by a H-D dealer. A few times they were unable to ride the bike so they had to have it trailered to the dealer. In fact, about 3 years ago 3 of them pitched in and bought a $2,000 trailer just to haul their Harleys. :roll:
Don

1 - 13 of 13 Posts