Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie who lives on the beautiful island of Oahu. I love the Burgman and ride a 2008 Burgman 400. Just did a nice run up to North Shore through Haleiwa today. One of my favorite rides on "Burgie"!

I know there is a tremendous amount of wisdom and knowledge from those of you who are long-time members of this forum and owners of Burgmans. I did have a question which I hope to get some advice on. It seems to me the 400 is a bit light on the front tire. At times (and higher speeds) it just doesn't feel real solid. Even more so when riding 2up. Perhaps it's just my imagination. I have never driven the 650 so don't know if it would have the same feel. Probably not since it is heavier.

Mahalo for your observations!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Aloha Mochi. Welcome to BUSA!

Boy, I thought I got to crow about good riding weather. You're gonna make a lot of notherners jealous.

As to your question, the b400 has always been a solid performer for me. But I'm sure more learned members will answer your question soon.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
weight is OK, could be suspension. what mileage does it have now

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appreciate the Welcome, Liamjs! I do get pretty spoiled with being able to ride year round. Even rainy days b/c it's so nice and warm. I notice you own (ride) both a 400 and 650. That would be my dream. Used 650's are pretty rare to find in Hawaii but of course there is always the option of going new. Unfortunately, they don't give those '13 650's away! There is a black one I've been eyeing and trying to figure out how to add that to the stable along with keeping the 400. My wife and I ride 2up and the extra power would be nice. Again, thx for taking the time. I'm still learning (and loving) anything I can soak in re Burgmans.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
weight is OK, could be suspension. what mileage does it have now
Under 20,000, Bolzen. I feel it most while driving 2up. It seems to me I've read somewhere that the 650 has very solid feel to it. Not sure the right word or terminology to describe it ... tracking? btw, am I supposed to be checking the "Quote message in reply box"?

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
The 650 carries more of it's weight on the front wheel than the 400 does.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Aloha! I lived in Hawaii for three years back in the early 70's. Remember doing the same ride you just did myself many times. Back then, I was riding a Triumph Bonnie. Loved living in Hawaii. Enjoy your new Burgman.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Most scooters with the way they are set up with all the weight towards the rear are like that . It's the nature of the beast . My 650 burg and my Tmax don't have that problem because the weight is distributed throughout the bike instead of most of it in the rear .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I weight about 165 pounds and I've noticed the front wheel light when I've ridden above 80 mph with strong cross winds. I think it's "normal".

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Hi Mochi. I vacation on Maui and always rent the biggest scoot available and ride 2-up (this year it was a Blur 220, last time was a Piaggio MP3-500). I think I hit every paved road on the island (Hana!!) - what a blast!

I think a Burgman 400 would be THE perfect bike for the islands. Other than better stability in strong winds, I think the other advantages of the 650 would kind of be wasted (based on my/wife's combined weight being under 265 lbs).

I don't notice the front wheel sensation you mention. Have you tried different pre-load settings?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts