Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back when I had my 400 I gave it a try buy never had any luck getting the tire to seat so I gave up. :(
Figured I'd give it another try, even bought the tools to dismount my own tire. Well after a couple of hours of trying to get the old tire off I took it to my local shop & in 5 min. for $5 he handed me my empty rim. Back home my son & mounted the new tire with little problems. We tried every trick to get it to seat with no luck. Even went back online here to check out every darkside problem & fix. Still no luck. I brought the tire into work & figured I'd give it another try. No lube & one side seated at 90 other at 110. :hello1:

My 28 year old son has kept saying Dad you know our compressor is 15+ years old we should get a new one. Don't you just hate it when your kids are right.:lol:

Looks like I get to ride my Burgman to work in the morning.:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mike,

Which tire did you mount up? I will be looking forward to your comments about the ride compared to the stock tire.

Regards, Eldon

·
Super Moderator
18,096 Posts
My 28 year old son has kept saying Dad you know our compressor is 15+ years old we should get a new one. Don't you just hate it when your kids are right.:lol:
Sounds like the younger Gen. 110 psi is the same, regardless if coming out of a new compressor, or an old one.

Good excuse to get one tho if it helps do the sell job for the wife ;-)

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like the younger Gen. 110 psi is the same, regardless if coming out of a new compressor, or an old one.

Good excuse to get one tho if it helps do the sell job for the wife ;-)
Is my gauge correct maybe? CFM is way down on mine compared to my work compressor. Mine took a couple of min. to get to 100 psi. Work took maybe 15 seconds.
Wouldn't need to sell it to my wife as long as I use my $$ to pay for it.:love3:

·
Registered
704 Posts
I spent several hours on mine too when I mounted my CT. Had a itty bitty compressor which ran full time practically while I sweated over the stubborn tire. Took it to a friend who had a much bigger compressor and it took minutes. See my other post about my tire changer I bought last Friday after fighting a tire for several hours earlier in the week.

·
Administrator
20,701 Posts
Mike, what tire did you go with? My standard warnings are still suggested on the re-learning curve and break in. Please go slow and practice. :D

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike,
Which tire did you mount up? I will be looking forward to your comments about the ride compared to the stock tire.
Regards, Eldon
I installed the Formoza FD1 165/60-14 have 36 psi in it & rode it to work this morning. Very first thing I noticed was it pushes easier backing up out of my garage. Next was how little I felt the washboard dirt rode out of my place. RPM's are lower for any given speed so the speedometer must be reading a truer speed. Road into work I normally take doesn't have any curves to speak of. Needed gas so once turning into the TA truck stop I did feel the difference in the rear tire. Didn't take any extra steering effort but rear sure reacted faster.

Question for those that have darksided, was it the sidewall flex I felt?:scratch:

·
Administrator
20,701 Posts
The smoothing out the bumps is sidewall flex. Your speedo should read the same as the RPM before and after as the sensor is on the rear drive. If we had the speed sensor on the front then you would see a difference.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
For my weight - 155 lbs (the food at work is just to good)- 32 psi is good compromise between straight line stability and flick-ability, as there is no "square" feeling when swerving and going around corners and roundabouts.

It does feel a little bouncy balloon like at parking lot speeds, but once it's loaded down in a turn at speed, that feeling is gone.

One thing is certain, you don't need 36 psi for the load - unless you're quite hefty.

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seems like I read most were running around 38 psi. I'm at 190 lbs & don't ride two-up at all. Still very new at this so any advice will be useful. ;)

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to try out the lower pressure.

IMHO and others, too, the car tire works the best on a motorcycle if the sidewall can deform enough to give you a long contact path.
I've had another guy ride my Burgman in a circle around me in a parking lot, and I could see how the sidewall gets pushed to a height similar to the M/C tire's sidewall, with seemingly 8 inches of thread on the road.

By inflating nearly to the max load pressure, the car tire just behaves like a very wide worn-flat M/C tire, keeping its square shape.

I've done what I could to wear out my rear tire in the last almost 10.000 kilometers, but have only accomplished a little rounding at the edges.
I would have worn out two M/C tires covering that distance.

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll drop it down some & see how it feels riding it home. By what I've read seems like it's a adjust the pressure to what feels good to you. That first quick turn into the gas station this morning was a little un-nerving. Might have been the air pressure or just me not knowing how the C/T reacts. :eek:

·
Administrator
20,701 Posts
I'll drop it down some & see how it feels riding it home. By what I've read seems like it's a adjust the pressure to what feels good to you. That first quick turn into the gas station this morning was a little un-nerving. Might have been the air pressure or just me not knowing how the C/T reacts. :eek:
My guess.

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Administrator
20,701 Posts
I run about 40 PSI in the rear tire. I played with the pressures on the Potenza to eliminate the wobble. This FD2 runs fine at 36 and up. At 32 PSI it felt musssshy.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
The Potenza must have much softer sidewalls than my Uniroyal Rain Expert tiire.

At 40 psi I wouldn't be able to turn

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I was running 42psi with the FD1, but reduced it to 40psi. I felt that the Protenza had a stiff sidewall. I recently found a Nexen CP641 and mounted it yesterday. I really liked the CP621 I had. After my first short ride on the CP641, I like it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I run 36- 37psi in my Potenza. I don't bother changing it for 2 up or loaded with tools, suitcases, etc.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts