Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I pick up a 2003 Burgman 650 with only 341 miles on it. Really looking forward to it. Every time I get a new-to-me bike, I feel like a youngster getting my first one. My first one was a Zundapp scooter in 1957. Rode that as my only transportation, summer and winter in upstate N.Y.. Then a gap of 25 years until I got back into two-wheeling. Now I am 75 and have had 12 bikes since. Other than a '87 Helix, the have all been motorcycles. A knee replacement 12 months ago and back surgery 2 months ago put a crimp in my style and I decided a scooter was now my new style. No toe shifting and a leg forward position.

Now the fun starts.

·
Registered
793 Posts
has it been that long?

I believe that in a world of reincarnating bikers, that you may
be still too young for this sort of thing.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase Donwas and welcome to the forum. Zundapp........now theres a name I had all but forgotten untill you mentioned it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
donwas said:
Tomorrow I pick up a 2003 Burgman 650 with only 341 miles on it. Really looking forward to it. Every time I get a new-to-me bike, I feel like a youngster getting my first one.
... so true, and at 35 years I am delighted to hear that it's still like that from someone more than twice my age. After your surgery, perhaps the Burgman is more right for you than most of us, and I hope that it brings you many many happy 2-wheeled miles. Welcome aboard! :D

·
Registered
793 Posts
Re: Almost ...

migz123 said:
... After your surgery, perhaps the Burgman is more right for you than most of us...
No, you're not levelling with this guy about what he's up against.

There's entirely too much emphasis on how the Burgman looks and
the manufacturer (Suzuki) has the audacity to call it a scooter.
They only call it a scooter on their website plus reading the spec's means:
525+ pounds of motorcycle!

If someone approached me on the street about my Burgman, wanting to
know more and needing advice, I would certainly advise against any cycle
as heavy as a 650 for a man who's back and knee gives him recurring health problems.
There are compounded health problems when one of these AN650 "scooters" falls
on a riders foot.

As soon as his AN650 gets away from him (and it will) while he's pushing it
around a driveway, we may never hear from him again
if he has to sell it and/or he gets re-injured.

As sure as shoot, you guys are going to tell him to buy the trunk option and
other stuff to make the 650 less stabile.
One of the things you guys should learn to recommend is the
telling of when enough is enough.

·
Registered
308 Posts
ajwood - I'm sorry my friend, but you assume way too much. You don't know anything about his health conditions to make those kinds of comments, which I think are too cynical.

Note that I said "perhaps" the Burgman is right for him and that "I hope" it gives him many happy miles - I sincerely wish he does find that in the Burgman, which I am sure most would agree that is quite an easier motorcycle to manage than anything else with similar capability.

·
Registered
793 Posts
That's just it, He has explained what his incapabilities are.
They are:
1) Age
2) Back Injury
3) Knee injury

I'll also assume perhaps that your careful wording recognizes them.
I never said that I wanted to take prisoners.

When I was "doored" once, it took 2 years for the soft tissue in my knee
to heal (39 yrs old) and the pain to subside. There are no doctors here on the site to
come to a legal presumption of what's best for him so cynical or not, here
it is on the table.

There are other lighter scooters, like the Honda Reflex.
It has less buttons for $2500 less money and it's almost 200 lbs lighter
than the fatso AN650.

I'm not saying that you don't know what you're talking about, it's just that
there is a general lacking of objectivity perhaps because of our affection toward
the Burgman that clouds the fact that it may not be for everyone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From all the discussion going on about my knee and back, I guess I had better explain a bit more. Age induced loss of cartilage in my left required a total joint replacement and now I have no pain and the knee is better than it had been for several years. The back surgery is called a decompressive laminectomy, where spurs on the lower vertabrae, caused by arthritis, were pressing into the spinal cord and were surgically removed. Again, the treatment was successful and I am enjoyng much relief. I use a gym a couple times a week to keep the old muscles from atrophying.

Regardless of all of the above, I continued to ride a Pacific Coast until the knee surgery and started riding again six weeks after. The reason I went the scooter route was that the flex in the new knee is not as great as a natural knee and the PC800 was uncomfortable to shift.

Sold the PC800 last Saturday. Found the Burgman 650 on Monday and picked it up today. It is balanced better and is lighter than all the motorcycles I have had in the past. And I am now in better shape to handle it.

Hope this settles the issue as to my capabilities. My wife seems to think I am still capable, since she rides behind me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Love Va Beach

Virginia Beach! What a great place to ride. My little sister lives in Norfolk and we visited her last year and spent some time in VA Beach. We took my Dad's 50cc Aprilia and ran it up and down the strip. Tons of fun!

·
Registered
38 Posts
That makes two of us, donwas, to move "up" from a Pacific Coast to the fascinating Burgman 650, a truly remarkable bike. I picked mine up just a week ago and am quickly learning just where to put my feet. Just watch the non-self-cancelling turn signals, the only noticable step down from the PC800.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I have fallen and I can't... get up.

donwas,

Good to hear that you aren't buckling under the weight of an AN650.

In the future, if you ever need someone to blow the whole discussion out of proportion, just give me a call.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts