Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was test driving a 885 Tiger I was interested in buying. I was enjoying the drive, actually looking for pot holes to attack. The suspension on that thing is awesome. Usually I am on pot hole alert with the burgman. Anyway I was going underneath an overpass with on and off ramps regulated with stop signs. I saw no stop sign for me, then it jumped out from behind a big green utility box of some kind. I immediately grabbed both brake levers. OOPS, one brake lever and one clutch lever. The bike did what felt like a two foot nose dive. For one milli second I panicked over my mistake before I let up and reapplied the brakes to stop in time. In retrospect I was a fool to take my riding skills for granted on a standard motorcycle. I won't make that mistake again. I told the dealer I would have to think about the purchase. I was never sooo glad to get back on my lardy.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I ride a 4-wheeler, duel sport bike, pit bike and Burgman, sometimes all in the same day! It can happen! Shut my motor off on my 4 wheeler when going for a signal, hit the horn instead of the starter, and of course the clutch issue!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Yesterday I was test driving a 885 Tiger I was interested in buying. I was enjoying the drive, actually looking for pot holes to attack. The suspension on that thing is awesome. Usually I am on pot hole alert with the burgman. Anyway I was going underneath an overpass with on and off ramps regulated with stop signs. I saw no stop sign for me, then it jumped out from behind a big green utility box of some kind. I immediately grabbed both brake levers. OOPS, one brake lever and one clutch lever. The bike did what felt like a two foot nose dive. For one milli second I panicked over my mistake before I let up and reapplied the brakes to stop in time. In retrospect I was a fool to take my riding skills for granted on a standard motorcycle. I won't make that mistake again. I told the dealer I would have to think about the purchase. I was never sooo glad to get back on my lardy.
I'm happy to hear that your dilemma turned out well. I'm planning on a new Burgman this Summer, and my biggest fear is forgetting I'm not on my Gold Wing, grabbing the the left brake, thinking it is the clutch. That may not be good.

·
Administrator
18,726 Posts
I'm happy to hear that your dilemma turned out well. I'm planning on a new Burgman this Summer, and my biggest fear is forgetting I'm not on my Gold Wing, grabbing the the left brake, thinking it is the clutch. That may not be good.
Not as bad and stepping down with your right toe for the rear brake and finding a solid floorboard and then momentary panic setting in as you try to grab left hand brake enough to avoid skidding. Ya get use to it real quick. :D

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Activated my ABS the first week I owned my Burgman when I forgot that the left was my rear brake instead of my clutch.

At least I know my ABS works now... :D

Doug

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Not as bad and stepping down with your right toe for the rear brake and finding a solid floorboard and then momentary panic setting in as you try to grab left hand brake enough to avoid skidding. Ya get use to it real quick. :D
I'm sure that's true. Just one reason I want to make the switch real soon, so can adapt before I get too senile. I use my Vespa for very short rides, and have already had a couple moments of confusion with the CVT.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I was also worried about grabbing the left brake thinking it was the clutch - also worried about any panic stop situation. But to my amazement, after 50 years of riding standard shifting bikes, I never had a problem - the old brain adapted to the Burgman configuration right off the bat.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I was also worried about grabbing the left brake thinking it was the clutch - also worried about any panic stop situation. But to my amazement, after 50 years of riding standard shifting bikes, I never had a problem - the old brain adapted to the Burgman configuration right off the bat.
Thanks for that information.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
It takes me some time to swap the brake memory after longer bicycle rides.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts