Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just returned from another nice tour, our first this year. We went from Calgary into Montana, around Idaho, across Oregon to Crater Lake, then north through the woods between I-5 and US97 to the Columbia, across to Colfax and north into BC and home, a total of 4500 km in eleven days.

We found some great new-to-us roads. ID 71 is awesome, from Cambridge to the Brownlee Dam on the Oregon border, thirty miles of twisties and hills that stands out as one of the nicest pieces of road we encountered. NF39 over the Wallowas is a bit beat-up, still, but the pavement on NF73 and NF52 across the Blue Mountains is excellent.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Camb...584d:0xd3df13b1e96af58a!1m0!2m1!1b1!3e0?hl=en

We concluded that US97 south from Bend is positively THE most boring road in Oregon, so we were happy to find an alternative. From Oakridge, go north to Detroit Lake on NF19, then north on NF46 to NF58 and up past Mt.Hood to Hood River and Washington.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=O...VDFcmH1Nfs_2Vg&oq=detroit+lake&mra=ps&t=m&z=8

Anyway, it was great fun. I will post photos once I get them sorted.

Regards
Scott Fraser
Calgary, Alberta

·
Registered
23 Posts
That is so amazing! Would love to see the photos! We're planing a trip from New York to South Carolina In August, making several stops till Charleston then start a way back to New York, again making stops in Charlotte, Richmond and Baltimore. We're going to ride around 1700-1800 miles in 10 days.

This is going to be our first extended ride with Burgman 650. I just wrote a post about it. Any suggestions to make the trip easier, etc will be highly appreciated ;)

Thanks!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is so amazing! Would love to see the photos! We're planing a trip from New York to South Carolina In August, making several stops till Charleston then start a way back to New York, again making stops in Charlotte, Richmond and Baltimore. We're going to ride around 1700-1800 miles in 10 days.

This is going to be our first extended ride with Burgman 650. I just wrote a post about it. Any suggestions to make the trip easier, etc will be highly appreciated ;)

Thanks!
I will post photos soon. I put these up yesterday. http://burgmanusa.com/forums/members/24914-dsfraser-albums-pearl-s-travels.html

As for suggestions? Pace yourself. Stop every hour to rehydrate, stretch your legs and refocus for the next leg. We don't ride before 8AM or after 8PM because there are always deer on the road early and late in the day. Wear earplugs --- they reduce fatigue. Carry a variety of clothing to adjust for different temperatures. Bring extra keys. We avoid major highways and generally motor along at 50 to 60 mph, covering no more than 250 miles in a day. Stop when you feel like it --- there is lots of interesting stuff along the road. If you're in that much of a hurry, it isn't a holiday! Have fun!

Regards
Scott Fraser
Calgary

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
awesome scenery! looks like it was a great trip!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, those were exactly what we had on mind. Only for the first two days we're going to ride for 350 miles each dah but other than those, always lower than 250. We're going to stay in Charleston 4 nights and relax and we're definitely not riding after dark. It's going to be hot and tiring, we're aware but we won't be rushing ourselves and it'll be fun!

Thank you so much for the advices!

I will post photos soon. I put these up yesterday. http://burgmanusa.com/forums/members/24914-dsfraser-albums-pearl-s-travels.html

As for suggestions? Pace yourself. Stop every hour to rehydrate, stretch your legs and refocus for the next leg. We don't ride before 8AM or after 8PM because there are always deer on the road early and late in the day. Wear earplugs --- they reduce fatigue. Carry a variety of clothing to adjust for different temperatures. Bring extra keys. We avoid major highways and generally motor along at 50 to 60 mph, covering no more than 250 miles in a day. Stop when you feel like it --- there is lots of interesting stuff along the road. If you're in that much of a hurry, it isn't a holiday! Have fun!

Regards
Scott Fraser
Calgary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts