Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. your thoughts on the best Alarms system for the AN400 (2021) would be appreciated

Thank you

·
Registered
888 Posts
You'd probably be better off just using one of these.

·
Premium Member
9,870 Posts
Hi Guys. your thoughts on the best Alarms system for the AN400 (2021) would be appreciated

Thank you
Well, I'd like to know what you're primarily interested in guarding against.

For instance, are you concerned about someone touching or sitting on the bike, someone starting it, some physically taking it away, or recovery after the fact?

There are electronic alarm systems with proximity sensors. Some include remote disabling of ignition (with proper and likely costly installation, in addition to purchase price). And some of these offer tracking capability (often with subscription costs).

For physical security, there are beefy chains and locks. But you need something to bolt them to, lest a couple of guys just lift the scoot into a waiting van. And various portable cutting tools can usually defeat even the beefiest chain in short order. And that's a lot of extra weight, and hassle, to deal with on a routine basis.

For tracking without an alarm system, the new Apple Airtags are a cheap way to do this (if you have a late-model iPhone).

IMO, there's really no good solution. I had a movement alarm installed on a bike for a year or so, about 20 years ago. It would go off at strange and unwarranted times, despite my playing with the sensitivity adjustment. And keep in mind that passers-by just tend to ignore alarms, bike and car, as part of urban background noise. I finally just removed mine.

Also IMO: that's what insurance is for.

Just try to park in well-lit, populated, areas, and hope for the best. If you want a cheap system that generally deters the non-professional thief, you might want to invest in a disc lock (and a coiled cord, looped over the handlebar, to remind you that you put it on).

I don't think a lot of Burger owners have a lot of experience in th area of electronic alarms, especially among USA owners. From what I've read, you folks across the pond have more of a problem with two-wheel theft, espcially scooters, than we do. If you're really interested in a good system, I think you'd have better luck seeing what Bike and similar Brit moto mags have reviewed on this subject. Or maybe on some cruiser forums, where USD 20,000 - 30,000 bikes are pretty common, and where their cost and customization and gray-market parts might warrant this sort of protection.

Good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
898 Posts
An inexpensive (temporary :unsure:) fix?
Product Font Screenshot Web page Logo

Use the chain to fasten to a fixed object, with the chain preferably not easily visible.
I believe that there is provision on the Burgman frame to do this.
As @wspollack says, alarms cheap or expensive can be problematic.
Also bear in mind that if you inform your (UK) insurance company that you have security fitted, then it MUST be fitted and working if / when an incident occurs.

The above for portable use. At home I have a £250 Thatchham Approved anchor.

·
Administrator
22,436 Posts
OK, in UK you have the Immoblizer system so all you need is a "Movement alarm" and that can be as simple as a Disc Lock with alarm.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
898 Posts
You lot can laugh.
Years ago, pre-portable electric tools, a work mate got up for work to find his car standing on bricks, VERY expensive alloy wheels gone, locking wheel nuts and all.
We have some extremely enterprising tea-leaves (thieves). If they put half as much effort into real work they could be legally rich.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Thank you
Simplest and cheapest is a disk brake lock with motion alarm like Amazon.com

Just don't forget to put the indicator cable from the alarm to the grip. It's orange so you don't try to drive of after forgetting that your wheel is locked.

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
275 Posts
Simplest and cheapest is a disk brake lock with motion alarm like Amazon.com

Just don't forget to put the indicator cable from the alarm to the grip. It's orange so you don't try to drive of after forgetting that your wheel is locked.
I have one of those Xena disk lock with alarm, it has been my shop paperweight for a good 15yrs, after watching my good friend depart with similar one installed, whitout making a sound !!, mine found is new purpose, no cable on those early models o_O I tried the "Remove Before Flight" streamer for a while, but some jokers stole them several times :censored:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
in UK they have a lot more thefts for 2 wheels. its out of hand really.,

chain lock. probably the best bet. something like oxford huge 12mm or more is good and expensive.

disc lock, again, oxford makes a fat one that looks like a padlock with alarm in. not cheap

on my b400 I installed a "spy 5000" alarm. I think cost me $65 or so. I installed it myself. a few things about it

the set comes with 2 - 2way pager/remotes that beep if the bike was touched or messed with. batteries need to be swapped every month or so. takes aaa batteries

it has an annoying feature I couldnt turn off. when you shut ignition after 10 seconds it starts beeping every few seconds to remind you to activate alarm. it annoyed the hell out of me. I didnt know how to disable it completely. I basically had it running on the basic feature of informing me through the beeper. I even hated the flashing lights feature. you could also connect it to the bikes horn to activate.

siren is very loud. does the same repetetive multiple sound annoyance everyone built up an immune to and wouldnt care if your bike was getting stolen. im all for quiet more thsan noise. sensitivity of the alarm I never learned how to get less sensitive, or at least doidnt succeed. I think theres a seperate knob but wanted it less sensitive. in my area there were construction and everytime a big truck passed by it would activite it. I wound up removing the siren. I didnt want the annoying beeps.

not many wires to connect. in its most basic form yoiu have battery + and - and 3 others if I remember. my effup was splicing to ignition cable of bike. I should have used the cigarette connector to activate/shut off alarm

there is a proximity sensor. I did not install it as it would run the battery dead after some time. you do you though.

there is also a remote start feature and immobilizer. I did not install them. my bike had an immobilizer. cold start did not interest me at all.

if you leave the bike unchained as is, then people will consider it for theft till they know there is an alarm. there is a led flashing bulb you can install that flashes when the alarm is active. I installed mind in the steering plastic above the burgman logo. if you dont secure the siren or alarm down in a good place under the front, it is possible to reach up and pull it out. the underside is not exactly so large you cant get your hand in.

if you want an alarm so you know if its messed with in real time, thats the option. if you want a visual deterent, then the chain will do it better imo.

above was recommended the brake handle lock. yes that can work too as a good visual deterent., if the disc lock pin isnt substantial, with the right tool, you can pry it off, though with some bending of the disk rotor I think.

if youre interested to deter thieves from stealing your bike, make it very boring and not attractive. that means not installing an aftermarket exhaust like your post said. youre bringing unwanted attention to yourself. and no benefit in extra power

·
Premium Member
18,065 Posts
i wonder if some fake poo on the seat would have a deterrent effect, no one bothers my bike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts