Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a Meta 357 V2 Alarm fitted to my new 650.
Burgman 650's are quite rare in the UK, and I know the guy who fits the alarms has never seen one before.
Have any other 650 owners had alarms fitted to their scoots, and if so, where did they fit the main alarm unit.
I don't really want the alarm unit to take up any space in any of the compartments etc
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
428 Posts
Bolt it to the windshield. Sorry to be a wiseass, but honestly, if you have insurance, who really gives a **** if it gets jacked?

Peace.

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Out of the insurance deductable, cost of modifications (not usually cover under insurance), possible insurance rate increase, the hassle of it all....I would care.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I would care as well. The time lost waiting for a settlement and the possibility of not having a replacement available at that time.

As far as having an alarm, I can't help you there, sorry!

·
Registered
135 Posts
i would thing the most logic place for the alarm unit would be either under the plastic cover on top of the glove box or somewhere under the storage box under the seat...like near the gas tank area.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yes yes yes I suppose so. The fact that I've been riding for 37 years, since I was 7, and havn't had "money issues" in 10 or more years renders me, sadly, out of touch sometimes. My bikes are just things to use, have fun with, and not worry or think about. Sorry for being a crass wiseass. That's not to say that it won't happen again.

Peace.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bolt it to the windshield. Sorry to be a wiseass, but honestly, if you have insurance, who really gives a **** if it gets jacked?
Here in the UK Insurance is very expensive, I am 41 and never made a claim, yet the insurance for my GSX-R1000K4 was £850 ($1540) a year Fully Comprehensive.
The Years Insurance for the 650 Burgman was £431 ($780) so you can see it is not cheap in the UK. If approved alarms are fitted, they give you discounts etc.
Some bikes like Honda Fireblades (954 in the States) Insurance companies won't even insure them without alarms etc fitted

Andy

·
Registered
794 Posts
Things are truly expensive in England

Sadly, what Andy describes as predatory insurance rates is true. And this is in a country with compulsory (and expensive) rider training as well as a thorough license exam and stringent riding test. Riders there are skilled, properly attired (usually) and they have the benefit of motorcycle-aware car drivers.

While I was working there, I couldn't believe how much insurance cost the local riders. Fortunately I was able to insure my bikes through GEICO and USAA at much more competitive rates. I probalby would not have ridden there otherwise. I know that these companies aren't in business to be nice to us. They have to make money on the policies they write. So why the high insurance rates for locals? Theft's a factor but, on the whole, these folks take serious anti-theft measures (alarms, locks, and part etching). The major causes are the captive audience and a lack of competition in the insurance industry, I believe.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had the Meta alarm fitted today.
The guy had to fit the actual alarm unit into the Left Hand unlocked compartment.
He said this is where Meta are recommending it is fitted.
The door is linked to the alarm, so if the door is opened it sets the alarm off, and also you cannot tamper with the unit.
I am not 100% happy with the installation here, but there was nowhere better to fit it. All the front plastic was removed, but there is not enough room to fit the alarm unit inside the plastic.

Hope this will help somebody in the future.

Andy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Burgman Insurance England

I know insurance costs vary which area you live, but I am also 41 with a 650 Burgman and my insurance fully comprehensive is £220. (kept in a garage with a datatool evo alarm).

I traded in a Yamaha FJR1300 for my Burgman and after 800 miles I am glad I did.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know insurance costs vary which area you live, but I am also 41 with a 650 Burgman and my insurance fully comprehensive is £220. (kept in a garage with a datatool evo alarm).
Reason Mine was so expensive was I have a pending Claim (I Crashed my Gixxer) and I had to take the insurance out on zero no-claims etc
I will get a refund once the claim has been settled.

Andy

·
Registered
46 Posts
I installed a Scorpio alarm on my brother's 650. It's got the two-way remote with pager.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts