Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Right on, Dude! I'm no professional mechanic, so it takes me a little longer to do a job but over the years I've gotten fairly good at it. I do all my own work. You're right, more people should try to work on their own bike. Buy the service manual and give it a try.

Thanx
Russ

·
Registered
55 Posts
Riding with my injured wrist

Covert,

A couple of years ago, I was driving my Geo Metro when I broadsided a pickup truck whose driver decided to ignore his stop sign (I had no stop sign). I smacked right into his driver's door at 20-30 MPH. I had a "death grip" on the steering wheel as I braced myself for the unavoidable collision. Probably because of my death grip and stiffened arms, ligaments tore completely off of two bones in my wrist, resulting in a complete joint separation. It kind of hurt. I wished I had just broken my wrist instead. The healing would have been a whole lot easier and less painful.

In any case, I'm much better now, after having surgery to put my wrist back together without losing too much mobility (lost some range of motion, due to the scar tissue). My wrist still aches now and then, and it especially hurts when driving my car in city traffic (no power steering).

Now for the good news. I have put about 2100 miles on my Burgman 400 since I bought it in July, and I don't recall my wrist ever hurting while riding it - and I've had a couple of 3-4 hour rides. :D Hopefully, you won't have any Burman-induced pain, either.

Ride safe,
Dave

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I wish I had an auto mechanic like you!

I work for a small auto repair shop and am saving for a Burg 650...may end up with a 400 for financial reasons...we have had DOZENS of technicians in the last year...all with ASE certs and claiming to be "the best"...needless to say we are hiring again. I would give my eye teeth for a master tech like you! We have a great service writer but that just ain't cuttin' it! I can't make more money until we get the income up so the longer it will take to get the Burg...bummin!

I'm sorry about you not being able to wrench for a living anymore but as service manager at least you still have your hands in it...AND you are still alive and able to ride. I think the Burg in automatic mode will be fine... I wanted a "real" bike but hubby is against me riding anything so I'm working on him for the Burgman. (I wouldn't tell him that I would prefer it to a motorcycle due to severe tendonitis in my right hand!) He thinks it is a compromise! :wink:

I'll be anxiously awaiting your posts about servicing the Burg since I plan to do my own service AFTER going over it with a fine tooth comb prior to riding for the first time. My husband would kill me if I got hurt because of someone elses' carelessness...if I didn't get killed first!

Welcome to the board!

Dee aka ScubaGirl

1 - 4 of 4 Posts