Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in getting an Airhawk cushion for my '09 650.

Has anyone had experience with their new Airhawk R model? It has an open channel down the middle to avoid pressure on the male anatomy, and the cells are arranged differently. It's also about an inch wider than their Medium Cruiser model, which is also recommended for the Burgman. The price is about the same.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Just experience with the regular model. It extends my comfortable ride time from a few hours to all day with no discomfort at all. Even multiple day rides are good.

Not sure about this new "male anatomy" comfort feature. My anatomy seems just fine after a long days ride. Seems gimmicky, but what the hey, if they're the same price.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
OP - I've had the Airhawk ( which works to a degree ) but much prefer the Beadrider which I found more effective ( and cheaper ).
Feels like it should not work....it does as thousands of riders will attest to.
Give it some thought.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been using the Alaska Leather pad (gel pad, memory foam and a fleece) for several years on my other bikes, and for the first thousand miles on my 650. It helps, but I'm still squirming after an hour. The Airhawk seems like a good choice, but the two models is a bit confusing. The beads? Some folks swear by them, but logically, that's hard to figure.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Yep- logically and even when you first sit on them - thought is "no way this is going to be comfortable".....

it is. My theory is the rounded shape of the beads distributes the pressure over a larger surface are than a flat surface

Also it allows you to move around easily so few pressure points develop and it's way way cooler.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Have original model Airhawk that use about 7 year now, worth every penny, still using original Airhawk purchase back then, never leak, never need patch. Have bad hip and low back problem, Airhawk air cushion change Chérie motorcycling life as ride again from gas refill to refill and because of Airhawk able to resume very long days in saddle.

The less air in cushion the better it work.

It take a few long ride to adjust air correctly to posterior.

Also have Alaska Leather sheep skin (without gel pad) that can put over Airhawk when hot or cold.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Yes - takes a bit of fiddle to get the Airhawk working properly....lower often better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have used the R-model for two seasons now and are pleased with it.
Good Comfort and fits the originale seat nicely.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Thanks--I ordered the R model Airhawk this morning, and it shipped this afternoon!

Very very good choice.

Keep air little as possible in your Airhawk, to love this cushion.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have rider and passenger Bead Riders, and neither one of us think they do anything.
Just my 2 cents, but everyone is different. I think we'll give the Air Hawk a try this summer.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
One cause for an aching' tush is reduced circulation. Beads work by providing a surface which can cut down on this.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hope it works well. By nature, I don't do well for long stretches in the saddle, yet I want to take some multi-day trips. I received an email today from Clearview; my XL screen is being fabricated. That and the pad should make the Burgman a lot more comfortable.

I'm north of Nashville, Sirkitrider.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
One cause for an aching' tush is reduced circulation. Beads work by providing a surface which can cut down on this.
The circulation thing is true, but what causes it to reduce? Too much pressure put on the two bony parts of your posterior. The Airhawk conforms to the countours of your hind side every time you sit on it. This reduces the pressure on the bony parts by spreading out the weight evenly over the entire seat. All pads try to do this in one form or anothef. From the reviews I've read, the airhawk does it better than gel, foam or beads can do.

For years I used a foam pad and it was fine, helped tremendously, but I was still sore at the end of the day. I've had little to no discomfort after long days with the Airhawk. Eight hours of ride time is no problem. I'm sure I could do more, just haven't tried it.

A couple people said they expensive. I don't get this. Mine was $75 on Amazon. Okay more expensive than a bead rider, but a heck of a lot less than a custom seat. Plus it is portable and transferable to any bike. Also, it doesn't get hot or cold like a seat or other pads. You can sit on it all summer long and not burn your behind.

Lastly, we spend thousands on these machines between purchase price, mods, fuel, maintenance, etc. isn't it worth $75 to extend your actual enjoyment of it? That's a cheap price to comfortably double, triple or more your ride time.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Have had an AirHawk R since last August. It fits my 2013 b400 perfectly, and allows 350 mile days without numbness or any other problems. It is true about the pressure - less seems better. My opinion only, your butt may vary.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I like the idea of the R model, they are responding to their competition. I'm still using the same old Airhawk I've had for eight plus years now. My plastic fill-valve broke recently, the body just crumbled into nothing, but I managed to rig a miniature ball valve replacement using duct and silicone tapes. The Airhawk works very well in terms of adding 50% to 100% more time in the saddle for me before "monkey-butt" begins on every bike I used it on (FJR1300, R1200RT, R75/5, and now the Burgman 650).

I always give the same advice to new users -- use less air than you probably think you need. You should not be floating around too much on it, the most common complaint. The pad works by evenly spreading your load over a wider area.

·
Registered
55 Posts
:D
The pad works by evenly spreading your load over a wider area
:D

What do you mean exactly? :)

Serously, though, I just got the airhawk 2, and I am curious to try it. I used to be able to ride about an hour before I had to stop and "wake things up".
I hope to be able to do better.
Marco

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
:D:D

What do you mean exactly? :)

Serously, though, I just got the airhawk 2, and I am curious to try it. I used to be able to ride about an hour before I had to stop and "wake things up".
I hope to be able to do better.
Marco
The stock seat is VERY firm and does not conform to your anatomy very well. So the two points of contact, the bony part of your pelvis, bear the majority of the weight. This cuts off circulation in those areas and gives you the numbness commonly associated with "monkey butt".

All pads and well designed seats try to redistribute this weight to a surface greater area, thus alleviating the two pressure points. The Airhawk accomplishes this through a series of interconnected air pockets. When you sit, the air evenly distributes weight across the entire bum and thus the pad.

You should be able to ride several hours now. Start with a small amount of air. You shouldn't be much higher than the stock seat, just a quarter inch. This should provide the optimum amount of comfort, rider feel and prevent any "slouchiness" when you move around.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts