Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I give up! How does one get air in the tires (especially, the rear tire) on this thing?! I've been to 4 different gas stations and tried 3 different pumps and I can't get anything to fit between the hub and the valve stem. I know the "old style" air hoses had the small fitting on them but nobody around here seems to have those any more.

This is just the dumbest thing!

·
Registered
793 Posts
For the AN650, I force the valve stem to the left side of the wheel while
simultaneously inserting the fitting to inflate.

Many bike shops can replace those darn valve stems with angled ones
that work every time.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Pain in the butt it is ! This is probably my biggest gripe about the Burgman. It can been done though and requires a little effort to pull the stem to useful angle.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I'm curious. Has anyone who has recently owned a Silverwing, or a Helix found it any easier to access the tire valve stems on them? Or is it just typical of the smaller-than-motorcycle wheel sizes on the scooters? I find the rear 14" wheel on the 650 is a bigger pain in the neck than the 15" front - but they are both difficult.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I dont have any problem with putting air in tires , but i do it at home, never tried at garage.
Good point, , I don't even know what the stations use I put air at home using a double head truck tire inflator.

Many bike shops can replace those darn valve stems with angled ones
that work every time.
I guess that's the way to go :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
at home

so, what do you use at home? I tried all the different kinds of pumps I owned and could borrow but I couldn't get them to seal - I think I let more air out than I put in. I pulled the valve out to the side they way someone suggested but the heads on all the nozzles were just too big to fit.

BTW - anybody ever burn their hands on the brake rotor while trying to put air in their tires? I didn't but I can see the possibility.

Al

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: at home

Al Davison said:
so, what do you use at home? I tried all the different kinds of pumps I owned and could borrow...but the heads on all the nozzles were just too big to fit.
I'll try to remeber to get the brand and model when I get home, but I have a portable electric pump with a built-in battery that I got at Sears that works. The head is set 90 degrees from the hose, and there is a locking lever that clamps on the valve stem. Noisy and low powered -- takes a while to fill a tire -- but works fine.

Al Davison said:
BTW - anybody ever burn their hands on the brake rotor while trying to put air in their tires? I didn't but I can see the possibility.
Hadn't thought about it. I use the engine braking to full extent and only light brakes as needed, so I don't expect my rotors are too hot. And I check my tires (and fill if needed) before a ride when they're cold. But if I ever need to fill a tire during a ride I'll watch out.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
air tank may be in my future

Well, all the pumps and hoses I've found available to me have got these huge heads on them that don't fit.

I think I'm going to try to buy one of those small air tanks that has the "old style" small, round-headed fitting - the kind that you used to see everywhere. I know those will work with no problem. I never thought it would be so hard to find one, these days.

Thanks for all the help, guys!

Al

·
Super Moderator
18,084 Posts
I have no problem using the one I have at home (same as seatec), The problem isn't with the valve stem but the the discs, being as close as they are to the rim, I have to line the hose up closer to Paralell with the tire and not from the side, or between the discs in front

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
The round type short heads are worthless, get yourself a double head long stem truck tire head,
any pump you have will work if you can unscrew the old head.
Have never put air in a hot tire or a warmed up bike,except for a flat and then I'am to mad to care about burning my self on a rotor because I already burnt myself on the muffler :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Al Davison said:
OK, I give up! How does one get air in the tires (especially, the rear tire) on this thing?! I've been to 4 different gas stations and tried 3 different pumps and I can't get anything to fit between the hub and the valve stem. I know the "old style" air hoses had the small fitting on them but nobody around here seems to have those any more.

This is just the dumbest thing!
MAYBE:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/excess-tech ... vdiai.html

·
Registered
3,411 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
investing in an electric air compressor for the home is a good idea, this way you can buy whatever hose works best for you and you can change out fittings and heads anytime you need

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I have a Black & Decker "Air Station". I've had it for 7 or 8 years - works fine. I don't trust the built-in air gauge because it is not real accurate. I usually overfill my tires slightly with the electric air pump. I've got a good air gauge with a hose & a bleeder valve on it. I use it to bleed the air down to the proper reading. I use the same pump to do my scooter, motorcycle and car tires. The "Air Station" is rather large and heavy, and requires a wall outlet - fine for the garage. But I carry a much smaller 12 volt air pump in the scooter when I travel, in case I need to fix a flat or adjust tire pressure while on the trip. I never have to use a gas station air pump.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Air Pump

For Canadians, Canadian Tire sells a pump, made or at least branded by Michelin, :eek:ccasion5: that both allows setting a pressure at which the pump is to shut off and fits on the valve stem with little problem if you can position the wheel correctly first.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I use something called "Ultraflate Plus". Its easy to work with, no clumsy hoses/tubes, just push the lever and your tire is inflated in less than 1 second. This product makes tire air pressure maintenance a snap! Here's the link:

http://www.innovationsaz.com/INmain.asp ... gory=power

- Chuck

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
chuck807 said:
I use something called "Ultraflate Plus". Its easy to work with, no clumsy hoses/tubes, just push the lever and your tire is inflated in less than 1 second. This product makes tire air pressure maintenance a snap!
Don't all those CO2 cartridges get expensive?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts