Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I had a 139 db air horn installed a while back. I've used it sparingly and usually for short bursts. The other day some idiot cut me off and I really laid on the horn! But it seems after laying on the horn for about 2 seconds it drew too much power and blew a fuse. I lost the dashboard lights and the CVT stopped working (seemed to be locked into 1st gear). So I pull over and shut the engine off thinking maybe a restart will reset everything (didn't realize a fuse blew at that point). I go to restart and nothing happens. Obviously the blown fuse also controls the starter.
I popped in the spare 15 amp fuse and was on my way. Now, here's my question: would I be taking a risk using a 20 amp fuse so that this won't happen again?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Maybe it was a 'brown out' and you need an extra generator for the horn! :lol:

·
Registered
639 Posts
I would have the horn wired to a solid state relay that is wired directly to the battery. You don't want all that amperage going through your horn switch. :( Safer with a relay, plus if a fuse does go, it only affects your horn.

Your horn will also be louder because it can pull full power. 8)

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
vfdcaptain said:
I would have the horn wired to a solid state relay that is wired directly to the battery. You don't want all that amperage going through your horn switch. :( Safer with a relay, plus if a fuse does go, it only affects your horn.

Your horn will also be louder because it can pull full power. 8)
Excellent suggestion!! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Chuck, is your CVT working properl;y? I and 2 other 650 riders installed GW horns on our 650s and all three had sensors fail. One owner had two additional speed sensors fail. We have speculated that the failures were relayed to the horns.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
roy_ryall said:
Chuck, is your CVT working properl;y? I and 2 other 650 riders installed GW horns on our 650s and all three had sensors fail. One owner had two additional speed sensors fail. We have speculated that the failures were relayed to the horns.
My CVT has been working flawlessly!! But I may take vfdcaptain's advice even more seriously now that I've heard your story!!!

·
Registered
689 Posts
I have a set of air horn installed on my Burg with a relay and have no problem, no drain on power (use a bosch relay there are the best). Air horns require a steady 12v all the time, the compressor draws a lot of juice and the relay will supply a steady 12v coming from your battery, you should also install a couple of fuse on the relay as well, one between the 12v from the battery and one on the input side of the relay coming from the horn switch or from the stock horn if you will get signal that way.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Good One

'
Respectfully I say. U guys are too funny, ...........

but

I simply love the thought of lottsa db wailing out of our little ladies (Burgmans) when need.

One of the things I really like about the Burgman is the quiet of operation

but

I too would love the option to not sounds so lady like (scooterish) when needed at the press of a button.

·
Registered
639 Posts
My biggest pet-peeve about the Burgman is the tinny sounding horn. :( How come Suzuki can't make a loud horn for the North American market?

I want something that is going to wake up the dead :shock: , or at least some of those idiots :geek: that manage to get their driver's licenses, then change lanes without looking, or run red lights, etc. :evil: .

Come-on Suzuki, get with the Program!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Reg, I think almost all Japanese have those little polite sounding horns. My Toyota is not much better; previous Reflex and Helix's were the same.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mighty Mouse style horn

'
Yes, I too feel Saidzuk could easily put on a more effective horn. Obviously this fault is not limited to just the Burgman, lottas small cars seem to have a Might Mouse style horn too.

Since I am not as mechanically or electrically talented as it seems many a Burgman USA forum member seems to be (I couldn't even manage to find the Burgie's HP in the service manual last night), my modifications options are limited.

Seems my Jetta's electric horn is louder than most, I just may try n install one from a wrecked Jet on my Miss Burgie as a compromise to that great 139 db air horns.........

Does any one have any idea if a Jetta car horn will max out the Burgmen's horn circuit?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DonRich90 said:
Take a look at this horn. Looks like it could fit our bikes. 10A draw. Comes with relay. http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=77839

Don
That's the one I have mounted on my bike!! I'm not mechanical, so I had my motorcycle mechanic mount it. The only room for it is in the front fairing - you have to shorten the right-side glove box to make room for it. The actual horn part is facing down toward the street. Its 139db at 4' feet, 115db at 6', so sound loss seems rapid with distance. Its pretty loud though... I tested it out riding 2-up through an area where I didn't think anyone was around, but my friend on the back said I almost gave someone on foot a heart attack!

Now, the specs say it draws 10amps, yet when I laid on the horn for 2 seconds, it blew a 15amp fuse.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
.fuse could have been tired - try a new one!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts