Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got the cover off the air filter over the weekend. The screws all came out OK including the one on the wires but the lid wouldn't come out. Using a flashlight and and a screwdriver to widen the gap between the under seat area and the cover I saw there were 3 tabs on the lid going into slots on the filter housing. Everything I tried wasn't working & I ended up using the screwdriver to break off the slot parts which allowed the cover to move forward and then it came out. What a pain. Judging from the look of the filter it had never been removed in the 5400 miles of use. I can see why.
Oh, BTW, when I searched air filter cover in the 07 & up forum I got zero hits. Air filter alone got the one hit about the blown head gasket. Starting to figure out that it may be best to search the pre-07 forum to get my information now.
THanks, stick

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I'm coming up blank, why the cover won't come off. Put the bike on its sidestand first. This pushes the engine down, for more clearance at that stupid cross bar. Once the screws are out, it "should" tilt up at the front and slide forward, with the air cleaner attached. Install with the air cleaner attached. Hope this is useful.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Side stand? Push the engine down? Out of my realm of experience. Never considered I could push the engine down to gain clearance.. Oh well...
Thanks Mike1nw

·
Registered
582 Posts
Were you removing the cover and filter together as a unit or were you just trying to remove the cover and leave the filter in place?

To disassemble the filter box you must pick up the filter element under the lid and hold it up in the top as you tilt it up and pull forward. It will not clear the cross bar unless the filter is held up in the lid.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw a you tube video where he only removed the lid then took out the filter so that's what I did.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I saw a you tube video where he only removed the lid then took out the filter so that's what I did.
Maybe he had an aftermarket filter like K&N that isn't as thick as the OEM.
I was reading the service manual and it was about as clear as mud. I tried removing and found the same issue you had could not tilt it up enough to slide forward. Luckily, rather than cutting the tabs as you did, I watched MicBergma's Video and he made it clear you held the filter up in the cover to remove. It was easy peazy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll just wedge something between the crossbar and the filter lid to cinch the lid down. I prefer using stock filters. Used K&Ns on the turbo cars I owned but overkill here IMO.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'll just wedge something between the crossbar and the filter lid to cinch the lid down. I prefer using stock filters. Used K&Ns on the turbo cars I owned but overkill here IMO.
NOt sure how well that will secure the top since the engine isn't static in the frame.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's right. Thanks for pointing it out. Won't be needed anyway.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I know this is an older thread but just want to say thank you thank you thank you for the information. I couldn't for the life of me get the air filter cover off even owning a service manual. Plus working in a 100 degree garage you get very frustrated very quick. Went back on semi easier. Used a flat head screwdriver to push the front and pop the tabs back in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Watched Mitch's video. Just bought a one owner 2015 B400, all service done by dealer.
The scooter has some changes since I owned a 2005 model. There was no snorkel on this scooter, guess the dealer tossed it. I too had a big problem removing the cover. The good tip is scooter on side stand and sit in the cargo box, this gave enough room to get over that back plastic post. Looks like the posts are hold downs for the snorkel. I did not have to loosen the wiring clip.

The air box looked like the gaskets were missing , so I ordered all three from Partzilla. Definitely, don't want dirty air getting past the filter element. I may acquire some foam and switch to it. Forty six dollars for an air cleaner element is silly. The 2005 model had the foam/oil elements.

I assume you could call model years thru 2006 and generation one, 2007 thru 2018 as generation two and 2019+ as generation three. ?????

·
Registered
883 Posts
I haven't tried it without the snorkel, but have heard that removing it makes the intake louder. Might also affect the air/fuel ratio.

Might want to double-check the gaskets. They are very thin and sit down in a groove so very hard to see, they appear just like the plastic. Take something pointy and poke in the groove to see if it feels rubbery or if you can start to pry it out. It probably wouldn't fit or seal well with two gaskets in place.

You might want to ask around before switching from oem filter. Could have adverse effects on random things.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks G-Dub, looking closer the gaskets are there.
Another issue, if I get aggressive and tighten down the two front screws, the back of the cover tilts up. There are three horizontal tabs on the back. I see 'faint' markings of possible receptacles but its hard to see back there.

Are there three slots in the back of the cover that the three tabs should fit ??

·
Registered
883 Posts
Yes, those should be slots that the tabs on the cover fit into. I think they made the fit too tight around that cover and it ends up being a pain to get off. If you don't know how it all goes together it would be easy to just yank on it and break those rather fragile slots. And because of the frame piece in the way you can't see this with the cover in place. One of mine was broken off but it still seems to fit fine. Maybe someone can give suggestions on a fix for yours without having to replace the airbox. A big gap there could potentially cause all kinds of problems down the road.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Looking at Partzilla, it doesn't even look like the bottom part of the airbox is available separately. You might be able to find that part in the classifieds here or on ebay. Or, if you pull it out you may be able to come up with a rigged repair, like screw a small right-angle bracket to the box for the tab to fit under. Though this depends on the shape of things in that area.

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK, looked hard at the Parzilla diagram for 2015. It looks like the three horizontal tabs are supposed to go into some upright slots. Apparently dealer broke off the uprights and that's why the top cover/filter has a less than air tight seal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The lower air box is not a part on Partzilla (total air box unit is north of $268) . Found just the lower part of box and ordered it off Ebay for $30. I am using some foam which has 'give' between the steel bar and the top cover, this should be a good fix.

When you sit on the box, the engine does as expected and goes upward, but the area by the steel bar , the back of the cover tilts down just enough to slide the box out.

Filter alert !!! Dennis Kirk (and Ebay) have the replacement HIFLO (good filters) for $26 and $16.

·
Registered
883 Posts
When you sit on the box, the engine does as expected and goes upward, but the area by the steel bar , the back of the cover tilts down just enough to slide the box out.
Not really following this...are you talking about sliding out the lower airbox?

·
Registered
885 Posts
there is a lot of dust and tiny dirt sand being kicked up around the box (and tons of it sit under it in a concave area where the starter sits. I always lightly grease (or if you dont want so much residue, use something like wd40) the tabs and they slide in nicely.
if when you get the filter in and the front where it screws down goes up when you press down on it to seat it, its not in properly. once you slip it in well and you press down on the front edge, it will line up no issue and the front will come down to the bottom box.

while youre fitting the air filter/lid in, lean over and get your eyes down to look between the rear of the box and cross support to get the tabs in the slot, the front will align itself. get the back in and the front will follow. I also had a hard time the first time I did it. the 650 looks fun to do..like hot swapping a mainframe hdd.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts