Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2008 Burgman 400 ---I bought it one year ago. Put about 2,000 miles on it so it now has about 7200 miles. For the record, I LOVE it ---it is SO much more convenient for running errands around town than my '83 Honda CB1000c (which is for sale, by the way!)

Two things my 400 really needs: a different windshield and a back rest.

I've been studying this forum and have learned a BUNCH the last couple of days. I'd especially like to thank MicBergsma for all the videos! THEY ARE HELPFUL!!

Now to the air filter. I thought I'd better check it. It was filthy!!! The pink spots are places I'd vacuumed before I thought to take the picture.

That raised a few questions:

1. What's the part number for an air filter? I have both the shop manual and the operator's manual and can find no part number ---Suzuki or other.

2. Does anyone offer them, other than S and K&N? Where do you guys buy 'em? (From this forum, I've concluded that the K&N does not do as good of a job filtering, so I'll probably stay with the S. Or is there another choice?)

3. The "gunk" on the dirty side of my filter appeared to be "oily." Yet the snorkel had no sign of oil in it. That puzzles me; any ideas?

4. As bad as mine was, the chamber on the "clean" side had no visible dirt or dust in it; that's the good news.

5. Since I couldn't get a new one today, I vacuumed what dirt I could off my old filter. It was made in 11/08 so no doubt was the original filter, now with 7,200 miles on it.
I thought a test ride would be in order! I reset the MPG on Trip B and after 18 miles it read a tad over 60. Trip A, which had about a 35 mile headstart, showed 57.3 MPG. The engine also sounded as if it was not working as hard; a much happier sound! (Of course that must might have been my imagination.) So I do believe it helped. I've been wondering about the 55, 57, etc. mpg I've been getting. This might be part of the answer. What do you guys get? (Next inspection: spark plug!)

6. Seat strut: I found a strut for an '82 Skylark at Auto Zone. It fit, but was WAY too strong, in my opinion. When pushing the seat down, it was "warped" so bad that the latch didn't even match up. Plan B on that item!

Cheers,
Keith

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would never run a K&N on a street vehicle with fuel injection. Although the closed loop FI is more tolerant of the oil that escapes, the reason more air gets through is it doesn't filter as well. My opinion, if you like them, fine. Also note that installing those in the air box on a B400, is not easy and many of the reports on here tell of cracking the lid during the process. I have purchased vehicles with them installed, they hit the trash ASAP.
I bought a 3Brothers back rest riser, nice part, all hardware and the adjuster still functions.
Windshield, I have recently become a huge fan of the Givi 266AF.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you for your air filter comments.

Topless, can you explain the difference in results between the Givi 266DT and the 266AF? I wasn't really considering the AF ---mainly because of price, plus hadn't read of many who use it. Therefore, I'm really interested in your comments regarding the AF model.

I'm 5'10". With the stock 'shield on my 2008 B400, the air seems to go over my helmet but there is a LOT of turbulence from the side. And of course the thing wobbles around, which I don't like.

I'm hoping to get something which will let me ride in "peace and quiet" so comments from others with replacement 'shields are welcome!!

·
Registered
748 Posts
You're K&N just needs to be cleaned. The oil is normal, you do oil that type filter after cleaning. The reason it's nice on the inside is because it did its job. I put one on my 400 and I ended up grinding a ridge down on the filter in order to make it more user friendly, to say the least. To be honest, K&N is probably not the best choice, but besides OEM, I believe it's the only choice. If it were me, I'd buy a K&N "recharge kit" (cleaner) wash it, make sure it's dry, oil it, and ride, but if it bothers you, go buy a new OEM filter.
I too wonder if they're a good product or not, i have 2 near identical 4 wheelers and the intake with the one set up with the K&N IS dirtier then the other with the OEM foam filter, but there sure are a lot of extreamly high dollar high performance engines out there that guys trust K&N to use on them, explain that....

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
You can clean the stock one using just good old soap & water. I bought a spare so I would all ways have one ready & clean to install. Take a bucket & just use liquid dish soap & water in it. You can use a light brush to get the heavy stuff off. Do that a couple of times & then just finish with just fresh water. I would use a hose but not with too much pressure. Then let air dry for a day. You'll be set to ride. Did this with my 07 & put 46k between the two filters with no problems. :thumbleft:

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
After doing a lot of research, I decided the K&N was a suitable alternative to the OEM filter. It did take me about 20 frustrating minutes to install it but I'm very happy with the results. Very subjective, but I attribute a small but noticeable performance improvement with the K&N - better throttle response and a sense of stronger pulling power.

Re: the 266AF - I love it. Down with the shield in town, adjust it up for the freeway. Highly recommended. Order from Kiwi Dave for best price and fast delivery.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Suzuki Burgman 400 OEM Filter, Part # 13781-05H00, it's about 36 bucks at ebay.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was hesitant about the extra cost of the AF too. But, the adjustability is a great feature. I road in a rain on the highway, raised the airfoil up so nothing hit me in the helmet. Temps this week are in the 90s, it took the air foil off so the air hits me about 4" below my chin, and helps cool. The biggest thing over the stock windshield is, no matter where I have the airfoil, the air off the windshield is clean and straight, no buffeting. With the stock windshield my jacket would suck forward, indicating the air pocket was collapsing in front of me, causing the buffeting. With the Givi, even with the top off, my jacket stays put, my sleeves barely move on the very outside. The other day I rode 70 mph in a 30 mph cross-wind without the upper, and it took a large gust to even move the scooter at all. Before I wouldn't ride that fast in that kind of wind without some pucker factor. The scooter feels better at any speed over 50, more stable and tracks straighter with less problems with cross-winds. I have several miles of 40 mph travels, everyday, that when winds gusted near 40mph, would move me all over a lane. At that speed, nothing moves the scooter.
As for the filter, I was not aware the stock filter was washable either. I run paper filters in my cars, period. I've raced cars, had both carbureted and FI cars, that were fast. Had K&N filters on a lot of them, but the FI cars with Mass air meters, had issues with the filter oil getting on the element. Now that most cars use MAF, it's too easy to have a drivability problem with oiled filters.

·
Registered
748 Posts
All this talk lately on how much better the AF is over my DT makes me want to take the plunge. I'm happy with my screen now though......

·
Registered
1 Posts
Last step in a lot of work on my 2008 400.12,000 miles. All brand new work to me, but thanks to this forum! I put in Dr. Pulley sliders (19s), did a final drive oil change, checked the belt (fine..25mm). My uncle fashioned a perfect tool to do these things, out of wood (Pics later)
Removed the stock air filter and cleaned it (washing and drying made it look really nice.) However, I reinstalled it without oiling it. IS the oil important enough for me to remove the filter so as to oil it and reinstall, or is dry OK?

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Last step in a lot of work on my 2008 400.12,000 miles. All brand new work to me, but thanks to this forum! I put in Dr. Pulley sliders (19s), did a final drive oil change, checked the belt (fine..25mm). My uncle fashioned a perfect tool to do these things, out of wood (Pics later)
Removed the stock air filter and cleaned it (washing and drying made it look really nice.) However, I reinstalled it without oiling it. IS the oil important enough for me to remove the filter so as to oil it and reinstall, or is dry OK?
Stock OEM filter doesn't take any oil, you did good ;)

·
Registered
367 Posts
My uncle fashioned a perfect tool to do these things, out of wood (Pics later)
I would LOVE to see pics and/or specs/directions for fashioning the tool to open up the CVT. Planning on installing 19g DPs this winter but do not have an air impact wrench and am not sure how mitchbergsma made the tools he uses in his youtube tutorials. Very intimidated about trying to open her up - read a fair amount about folks breaking off fins and the like. Thanks in advance!;)

Enjoy your "new" ride - sounds like you have it in top notch shape!!!!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
A few of us have made tools out of plywood. It's not hard., Do a forum search for DPS and you'll find a few posts with various versions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Suzuki Burgman 400 OEM Filter, Part # 13781-05H00, it's about 36 bucks at ebay.
While looking for this on eBay I found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111034421195?item=111034421195&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

It's from China - only $13.99 and includes shipping. This could very well be total crap but in the interest of finding out I decided to order one. There's a notice on the ad that it doesn't include customs duty but I've ordered other items from China that were delivered without any customs involvement. Anyway - if this thing every does arrive I'll post a follow-up if I would actually use this in my Burgman and if it was more trouble than it's worth.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am really interested how those work out. I was recently looking at similar air filters on Alibaba.com and was considering ordering just to check it out.

If it fits the airbox, and looks like your basic air filter media, then that would be great. If it can't be cleaned and reused like the Suzuki air filter, then that would not be a problem for only $13.99 shipped.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Anyone know the Part Number for the K&N Air Filter for the Burgman 650?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I wash my air filter at the mileage its due to be replaced and then replace it at the next service. This extends the life by 4000 miles. I find the roads here in England are so filthy it wont last any longer than that.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
DLS: The OP and my post refer to the Burg 400. The K&N filter website does not come up with a filter for the 650 (as it does for the 400).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts