Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Burger was running just a tad sluggish recently, thought it was choking a bit, so I decided to change out the filter with the old, cleaned-up original oem filter I had stashed away. I was amazed at how much muck had built up on it after a few thousand miles...ok, 4,000. Afterwards I was absolutely amazed when I took it out and ran it. Smooth, forceful torque that I had forgot the Burger was capable of doing came back in spades. I think it has finally broken in :rolleyes:. Lovin' it!! Anyway, here is a photo of the filter I removed and will clean up for the next change out. Don't let yours get so messed up. Gonna do it every 2k from now on. Safe Riding!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
That looks bad. If it is a non-cleanable filter then yes time to replace. If one of my vehicles uses a non-cleanable filter I switch to one that can. Such a waste to buy new ones all the time.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Shoot Hammer, you can still see some red on that filter.

I did mine for the first time at around 35K. After washing, my filter is dirtier than yours. I may have to slit my wrists.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The oem non-washable filter is certainly "soakable'. I use dish washing detergent but may try the orange spray degreaser this time. This stuff loves to break down grease. A good soak, air dry and it is ready for next time.
My question of 'Is is time?" is for anyone who has a bunch of mile on their filter and may be losing power and gas mileage. I know I was not getting maximum performance.
These filters wash out nicely if you don't get manic on them. No brushes, just a soak and some warm running water should do it. I run the water on it from the cleaner engine side toward the mucky side so as not to push particles deeper into the filter. They are rugged enough for that and it only costs a couple of pennies to do it.
Chatman, wrist cutting is an option as cleaning or purchasing a new one will not have to be dealt with but I am saving that for when I need to replace my belt. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Before I went to using foam type filters I would wash the paper filters in my lawn equipment with detergent like you suggested {I used to have a lawn care business}. It would work for a time or two but I noticed that the paper started loosing it's ability to properly filter. If you want to do the wash, do it once and no more. A $200 lawn mower is one thing a Burgman is another thing all together.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Main problem is that once you wash a paper filter it never works like a new one although it does usually let some extra air through above a very dirty old filter that you may have taken out. Apart from teching, I also worked in engine design and development before I took early retirement and we examined what happens to paper air filters if washed. The paper expands slightly and the pores in the paper that let the air through swell and close up. So although they look cleaner, they don't let as much air through as you think. I've not airflow tested the Burgman filter but my guess is it will have just 75% the airflow of a new one after the first time it's washed, but here's the rub. They clog again really quickly due to the reduced air pore size. So imagine how your bike will go with a new one Hammer! I changed my air filter at 7500 miles as it was very very dirty and could not be cleaned. The difference was amazing, and along with a new spark plug the performance was much better. I found I was getting another 4-5mpg on average and much better power, smoother too.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QM, I could not clearly define what was nagging me about the clean and use process but your post made it crystal for me. I knew that paper was never the same after becoming wet and then drying but microscopically I had no idea what was really going in there. I am just glad that fiber expansion is much better than shrinkage which would let in larger particles. Not good. But...since the Burger is running so well I'll use it for 1 or 2k then change it out for a new one so as to go through the winter with it. Oh, your post also explains why I should not have been surprised to see so much gunkage after only a few thousand miles on the washed out filter. Thanks QM.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I cleaned my oem paper filter a couple weeks ago following the tutorial in the knowledge base. It really made a difference for a couple hundred miles but then it started seeming sluggish. I do wonder if soaking the paper filter to clean it made it less able to let air through. Last night I pulled the filter, carefully cut out the paper and replaced it with a custom cut foam filter. I also cut out the center rib with my dremel tool in order to make a one piece foam replacement. I left the one side support for the intake snorkel and it seemed to be more than enough to hold it in place. Of course, I oiled the foam before installing. Seemed to run stronger again today. I'll run it for a few hundred and then pull it to see how it is doing.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
guys, the stock OEM filter is no washable period. you replace it with a new one or get a K&N or other brand that IS designed to be maintained.

as @QuantumMechanic says, it will not work properly after washing a paper filter.

if you take your burgman to the dealer and they tell you, they "cleaned" the filter. you know for sure, should have done the maintenance on your own.

again, stock paper filter are not cleaned, they must be changed, well if you care about your ride anyways.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
The clean clear mountain air I ride in must really make a difference. My 650 still has the OEM filter in it at 19,000 miles and it looked good when I blew it off with air the other day. My 400 had 14,000 miles on it and it still looked good.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The clean clear mountain air I ride in must really make a difference. My 650 still has the OEM filter in it at 19,000 miles and it looked good when I blew it off with air the other day. My 400 had 14,000 miles on it and it still looked good.
Yes, it does, I ride in a polluted city and sometimes i ride off road on the burgman so I clean the K&N every 1,500 miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts