Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 AN650, 2014 AN400, 2018 AN650
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you're using an after market air filter on your 2007-current Burgman 400, check it ASAP. The air intake port may not fit properly. It's taken me 3 months to sort this out with K&N. They had to "make a proper filter" for my bike. This after sending me two that would not fit. I had installed a K&N on my 2014 AN400 in 2016 so I had this one to compare the new one with last Nov.. The intake port on the new one was over a cm shorter than on the old one. They sent another one and it was the same. A cm+ too short to reach the intake port on the airbox. I then went tru sales dept instead of tech support, sent them pictures and measurements of the old one(from 2016) compared to the "newer" ones and thus the reply "making a proper filter" which I have now received.

The part number(SU-4007) is the same on all four of these filters. It's reasonable to assume other aftermarket brands could have the same issue. Also, do not assume that by following the written installation instructions, the filter fits correctly. Without having a used one to compare with(as I did), pressing the filter into the top cap of the airbox, flipping it over and installing it onto the bottom portion of said airbox(with some difficulty) there is no way of knowing if the intake ports actually fit together. Lay the filter into the bottom part first and look down into the intake port to verify they match up. Otherwise you may be sucking raw air(unfiltered) straight into your engine!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Could you post your photos of the improperly fitting filter?

·
Registered
2008 AN400K8 (now); '82 Yamaha Maxim XJ1100J (1993); '78 Kawasaki KZ400; '76 Honda MT125 (1st bike)
1 Posts
If you're using an after market air filter on your 2007-current Burgman 400, check it ASAP. The air intake port may not fit properly. It's taken me 3 months to sort this out with K&N. They had to "make a proper filter" for my bike. This after sending me two that would not fit. I had installed a K&N on my 2014 AN400 in 2016 so I had this one to compare the new one with last Nov.. The intake port on the new one was over a cm shorter than on the old one. They sent another one and it was the same. A cm+ too short to reach the intake port on the airbox. I then went tru sales dept instead of tech support, sent them pictures and measurements of the old one(from 2016) compared to the "newer" ones and thus the reply "making a proper filter" which I have now received.

The part number(SU-4007) is the same on all four of these filters. It's reasonable to assume other aftermarket brands could have the same issue. Also, do not assume that by following the written installation instructions, the filter fits correctly. Without having a used one to compare with(as I did), pressing the filter into the top cap of the airbox, flipping it over and installing it onto the bottom portion of said airbox(with some difficulty) there is no way of knowing if the intake ports actually fit together. Lay the filter into the bottom part first and look down into the intake port to verify they match up. Otherwise you may be sucking raw air(unfiltered) straight into your engine!
Thank you for the good & timely post, GLD444! Curious, other than possibly brand name appeal, what made you replace OEM Suzuki filter in the first place? I do see that the K&N looks to be about $10 less than OEM, but your 3 months of hassles wouldn't seem to be worth it. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2013 AN650, 2014 AN400, 2018 AN650
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've used k&n for years in all my vehicles, without problems until now. Not for any performance gain, but because I'm basically lazy and most of my bikes I've owned are a pain to get to and change out. From experience I know they'll last a lot longer before needing cleaning. The 400 manual shows changing the filter at 11k miles. The new 2014 filter was filthy @ 5k, at which time I replaced it with an OEM filter. At 10k(5k on filter) it needed changing again. We were planning a long distance ride with it (6k+) so put a k&n in before the trip in 2016.
The problem arose when this filter got soaked with engine oil and I decided maybe I should put a new one in instead of trying to clean up the first one. Same part number but intake port is too short to seal. I wound up cleaning up the old one and putting it back in while waiting for k&n to make me one that fit, but didn't ride it. Wife doesn't ride anymore.

As for the filter getting soaked with engine oil, there's information somewhere on this site about that and a term for it, but I don't remember what it is.
It's sitting on the lift now with plastic removed. With 3 other machines to ride and maintain I haven't worked up the moto-vation to start a top end overhaul, which I assume it's going to need. Every time I fix to start thinking about it, I just sit on the back porch and have a refreshing beverage and the feeling goes away.

·
Administrator
20,656 Posts
My only suggestion if you plan on using a reusable 'Wash it out' filter is NOT to OVER OIL it with the special 'Filter Oil'. If you do, the extra oil will migrate down and if you have a 'Mass Air' sensor downstream it will coat the hot wire. I do not know if the 400 has this system, most likely not. But I bet it may coat the STVA valve areas and down into the throttle bodies.
So, follow the oiling recommended directions of wetting the leading edges and WAITING for it to wick out. It may take an hour or two.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Correct Dave, 400 does not have a MAF. I'm quite sure the fuel strategy is speed density, just IAT & MAP sensors...well and the O2 sensor for closed loop control.

You'd probably have to really soak the filter with way too much oil do do any real harm down the intake path. It already sucks crank case vapors in on the down stream side of the air filter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts