Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm preparing for a 4,000 mile trip from North Carolina to Wyoming. When I bought my 2012 Burgman Executive I bought used without any service records. It currently has 13,724 miles on it.

I'm doing some maintenance on it and had planned to replace my air cleaner, but I pulled out the air cleaner in it now and it doesn't look bad. Being how expensive these things are, I am curious whether you think it's dirty enough to replace it.

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
Reactions: Dave_J and azz3879

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi-Flo and Bikemaster both make air filters for the 400 which I have found are less expensive than from the dealer. I have used the K&N's in all the bikes I will be keeping for any length of time as they last forever 'cause they're washable and re-oilable (is that a word?). Anyhow, since you have the filter, change it just for peace of mind. And they are a bit of a pain to get to. I either vacuum out the old ones with the shop vac or blow them out gently and save them for "just in case".

·
Premium Member
8,032 Posts
OK here's a laugh, I just found out the air filter on my 15, will fit in upside down, hard as heck to get it in there upside down, but it will go. nice and easy if you do it right :( going on a trip, replace it and get an extra mile or two per gallon plus no worries if it should have been replaced.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
As Pakar said above, put some very warm water in a pan with some 'Dawn' Dish washup soap and clean it up. Then in some fresh very warm water rinse it well and let dry 100% before re-use.

Not so much a Burgman problem, just saying... Many people have used K&N air filters but a word of warning, IF you have a Mass Airflow 'Hot Wire' sensor the oil from a K&N may coat the hot wire causing a failure. This oil is also found down in the intake tracts and on the valve stems. Mostly caused by over oiling the filter. "If some is good, more is BETTER" is not the answer....

Reactions: Tromper and azz3879

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good point, Dave. A light spray on the outside does it and the oil will wick its way where it needs to be.

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
bcalan I’ve heard that ATF Auto Transmission Fluid is very close to the proprietary K&N filter oil can you confirm ?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I wouldn't replace it yet. Those folds are giving the filter quite a bit of surface to draw air in. I don't see any oil, leaves, twigs, bugs etc. Just fine dust. I wouldn't replace it if it were mine.

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
Quote from LeDude,

“I have switched to a 5k service interval now that the extended warranty on my 2004 Burgman 650 has expired. Now that I have two air filter element bodies, I just replaced the paper element in the middle with a foam element. I replace the filter every 5k miles with my spare and clean and prep the other one for the next service interval. “

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
I too have done this but I do a 7200 mile service of all oil/filters/lubes. I have the oil change set at 3600 and when it lights up I reset it and mark it on my calendar so I don't reset it again without doing the service. Oldtimers does kick in every so often.

I have one air filter I'd bet that it has been washed 5 times. It does look a little tattered on the top edges of the pleats so I will most likely toss it when I pull it out. I have two new ones still in the packages.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
I was able to get one for less than $10 on EBay using Coupon and EBay Bucks. So I have two now and will be able to do the LeDude Retro-Fit.

I like your 7.2 K idea and you being in a moist environment would mean less dust and air born particulates than Texas. Our oak trees are always dropping something and in the spring the oak pollen will turn you yellow/green if you stand still long enough.

It’s just Azz just got his used bike and he is preparing for a maiden journey of 4000 mile and he already had the bike open so that’s why I suggested he put the new on in. It would be good for his fuel mileage and to help set his base line and his maintenance interval like yours.

Reactions: azz3879

·
Registered
56 Posts
I use K&N's cleaning and oiling kit. Too much trouble keeping a spray bottle of trans fluid and using Dawn when it all comes in a easy to store box from K&N and lasts a long time. I know I'm pretty slack on maintenance but I'm not penny foolish. My two wheelers are for riding, not hobbies to fidget with.

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
I use K&N's cleaning and oiling kit. Too much trouble keeping a spray bottle of trans fluid and using Dawn when it all comes in a easy to store box from K&N and lasts a long time. I know I'm pretty slack on maintenance but I'm not penny foolish. My two wheelers are for riding, not hobbies to fidget with.
I just hate paying Retail for Labels .... but I do have another round of the cleaning kit myself.

·
Premium Member
8,032 Posts
welp, I aint all that brilliant, lemme hear something from the smart folks on air filters, what am I filterin out? how fine a partikle is it and how dangerous to my bike, Do I really need a 4 billion micron filter with a surface area the size of times square? or would a tough cheez cloth to keep out rats and big rocks and leaves serve just as good ?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
OK here's a laugh, I just found out the air filter on my 15, will fit in upside down, hard as heck to get it in there upside down, but it will go. nice and easy if you do it right :( going on a trip, replace it and get an extra mile or two per gallon plus no worries if it should have been replaced.

Say, isn't that like turning your skivvies inside out so you can wear them again before the wash? :eek:

@azz3879 , normally I'd say just tap it on the floor to shake out most stuff between the folds and then hold it up to a bright light and if you can see the light through it then it's good for a little while longer. But since you're planning a trip go for replacing with the new filter and washing the old one to be ready to reuse. I also wash mine when I take it out, just like Dave said, and then it goes on the shelf ready to be used again. I have a second filter so I can swap the 2 of them. I soak it in a tray in water and Dawn dish soap for overnight, then I use an old tooth brush I keep for this purpose (cleaning stuff) to brush out what doesn't shake out between the folds, then let air dry for a few days. The filter is not paper but a woven fabric that is similar but much more durable than paper.

·
Premium Member
8,032 Posts
don't forget inside out, front to back, 4 weeks per wash

Reactions: rjs987

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm preparing for a 4,000 mile trip from North Carolina to Wyoming. When I bought my 2012 Burgman Executive I bought used without any service records. It currently has 13,724 miles on it.

I'm doing some maintenance on it and had planned to replace my air cleaner, but I pulled out the air cleaner in it now and it doesn't look bad. Being how expensive these things are, I am curious whether you think it's dirty enough to replace it.

View attachment 90656
Looks good but upgrade to the K&N you will thank me later. Also change the other air filter in the transmission. Likely the CVT filter needs love

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts