Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my shop manual says that when I replace my air filter (2009 400) that I should also drain the water from the air cleaner box. It tells me how to do that but it appears to be a rather lengthy procedure. Has anyone done this or not done this and by not doing it, has it caused any problems?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Is there any water in it?
I seem to recall another bike I had, there was a small hose with a plastic valve, all you did was open the valve.
Didn't seem to be a complicated procedure though.
But don't know about the Burger. Will check mine for you.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont see any water in it but i am not sure that there is water somewhere where i cant see it.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, it's not listed in the owner's manual maintenance schedule, plus it gets pretty warm there so would evaporate any water. My $0.02 :)

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear ya on that! i doubt that many - if any at all - actually take the time to do what the shop manual says to do to see if water is anywhere.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
At high speeds my 400 sucks oil and that is where it ends up. After looking over the service manual, it wasn't clear to me where the drains was so, I just took a hand operated evacuation pump I have and pumped the oil out.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
The drain is on the bottom of the air box for the 400s. I think it is up by the throttle body hose so it's tricky to get to. The 650's drain is on the left side of the air box near the front looking at the front of the bike. In both cases it's a rubber bootie with a circlip holding it on. As for oil consumption, you can always install a crankcase breather filter on a long hose instead of the factory routed path to the airbox. However, it's against EPA regs to vent crankcase gases to atmosphere and if you don't place it right your bike will smell pretty funky most of the time.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i can scan the page in my shop manual if u guys want to know what that says but once i scan it, someone will have to explain to me how to post it in here. Also, i know how to email it as an attachment to anyone interested.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
No need Tom, I looked up the airbox in the parts fische and attached it to this post. :thumbup:

Completely forgot it has two drains on the airbox. Guess it's been too long since I've had one apart. :oops:

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts