Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after a year of lurking I sold my little Derbi 150cc for a Burgman. My dealer had a used 650 and a 400 for sale. I actually wanted the 650 because of my size ( 6'3" 240 lbs) but decided to wait a few days to think about it. A week later I went in to make the deal and the 650 had been sold!!! ****!!!! Anyway.... the 400 was still available, so not wanting lose out, I purchased it on the spot (2003 2000 miles $3500).

After riding my little scooter for a year, the Burgman was a big change... for the better!!! I couldn't believe how comfortable it was and the nice smooth power that launched me on my way. It was like moving from a Ford Pinto to a Mercedes!!! WOW!!!!!

OK.... now for the magic..... finally! When I left the dealers I wasn't more than a few blocks away when I stopped at a red light. I happened to look over to the pickup truck that was next to me. He just kept staring at the bike and when the light changed to green.... he kept staring as if he was in a trance! People honking their horns behind him finally got his attention and he drove on. I thought..... man, now I know why everyone talks about the burgman attracting attention! Well, the tank was on empty so I headed for the nearest gas station. While I was trying to figure out how to get the gas cap off ( the dealer didn't show me anything ) a guy at the other pump came over to ask me what the heck was I riding. He couldn't believe what an unusual ride I was on. I finally told him I needed to go and drove off or I would probably still be there talking. The wind noise was starting to really bother me so I decided to stop my another dealer and pick up some ear plugs. I had to park about a block away. Before I could even get my helmet off a stranger came up to me and wanted to know what kind of MOPED I was riding. He was shocked that I could go faster than 30mph. After checking out my ride more closely he was impressed and wanted to know where he could go for a test drive. OK..... with earplugs implanted in my head I was finally ready for my ride out of suburbia.... I live in Salt Lake City, Utah so I decided to head for the Great Salt Lake (the pioneers thought they had reached the ocean) and the marina so I could go out on the pier and admire the view. What a wonderful ride!!! When I reached my destination I turned off the old Burg and just sat there.... feeling so good in the sunshine watching the sail boats in the distance. Well here we go again.... I wasn't there five minutes when a tourist came up me explaining he was a big Burgman fan but hadn't made the purchase yet. He couldn't get enough. Questions, questions, questions. Enough... time to leave.... Oh NO!!!! ..... my baby wouldn't start!!! Did I buy a lemon??? My heart sank. After a few minutes I realized I was just retarded..... my kickstand was down. Duh!!!! Ok. Enough for my long story. Just wanted to say that from the moment I left the dealer I had more attention than I ever believed possible! It must be the spell of the Burgman kicking in! WOW!

Oh, just one more thing..... I came up on a red light side by side with a Harley. My worst nightmare. He looks over at me and says " cute ride " Happily I said " thanks.... you have a CUTE ride too". Well the light turned green and he gunned it.... but so did I and I left him eating my dust!!! Yea.... my "CUTE" ride just kicked your Harley xSS! I couldn't stop laughing all the way home. Man, what an afternoon!!! If this is just the first few hours with the Burgman..... what adventures can I expect in the future???? I can't wait!!!!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. Great story hearing about your first day with the Burg. They sure do generate interest .

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Congrats on your 'new' Burgman 400! :) We have the same year.
You forgot and left off one of the most important parts though..
Did you get the faster one or the blue one? ;)

·
Registered
806 Posts
Keep your speed, buddy!! I am thinkin my blue one is more comfortable.

:)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Selias Wrote: Did you get the faster one or the blue one?
Well the thing is the blue ones were built for stealth. They are invisible to radar where as them silver ones with all that reflective surface is a radar's best friend. :wink:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Well the thing is the blue ones were built for stealth. They are invisible to radar where as them silver ones with all that reflective surface is a radar's best friend.
But, then, that makes them invisible to cage drivers too, right? ;)
I'll just keep it at the limit and hopefully keep my life as well! :)
Perhaps so tho! I was on a new road (exploring today) and eased into a tiny town and i must have missed the lower speed limit sign as I was pulled over (clocked at 63 in a 50!). Fortunately the Officer was kind enough to give me a written warning rather than a citation. It was truely unintentional and I am so very glad to still have a clean (7+ years now!) driving record.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the 650 I was looking at was stealth blue. The 400 I purchased is lightening speed silver and I'm still having "scootergasms" !!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Selias wrote:
But, then, that makes them invisible to cage drivers too, right?
Face it motorcycles can and are invisible to un-attentive drivers no matter what color they are. But like you were saying silver may be a little easier to see. But then again it may blend in with the sky behind you in the background :?:

Selias wrote:
I was on a new road (exploring today) and eased into a tiny town and i must have missed the lower speed limit sign as I was pulled over (clocked at 63 in a 50!). Fortunately the Officer was kind enough to give me a written warning rather than a citation.
That proves my point radar's best friend. The more reflective the surface or the larger the surface the easier the radar picks it up. This is really true with laser aka LIDAR.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Get used to it corbullo.

You are now the official "Pied-Piper" of your vehicularized kingdom.

I have to say that that was an unusual amount of inquiries in one spell tho. Either way I would have thought that that would have been totally cool. As I believe you did.

Great buy and fair winds friend.

If anything - (even tho it is faster) the silver is also cleaner. This whole week they've had one of those trailer radars on my path home from work (they usually never leave them in the same place for so many days.) I, on my silver Lardy aka Mooooonpie, would TRY to get it to "trap me" - heck it wasn't till I was 40 yards away when it finallyt recognized my presence. Yeah - it was K band but still.....food for thought. It "trapped" my cage from about 100 yards today because I had to drive it. I always thought that given the high profile of a motorcycle that it gave speed detectors a "better target" - well, with this trailered old guy K band deal, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Oh yeah - and by the way - 50 = 45 on mine. 10% fast exactly (at that speed) Checked it every day this week.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Don't buy a silver anything if you want to be seen. The only silver car I've every had was an '80 Honda station wagon. It must have been invisible to other drivers because they would pull right in front of it like it wasn't there. I finally started looking for other silver cars to see if I could figure it out. Silver is the color of the sun on the road. Gloss silver is a mirror that reflects and takes on the colors of it's surroundings. Silver IS stealthy for those reasons, but being stealthy when you need to be seen is dangerous.

Silver does look good on a Burgman. So if you can handle no one noticing, but like silver, then get one.

I got black. I wanted blue. Sounds like a bruise. :wink:

Dave B.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Bottomline is that every color CAN (and DOES) blend in. Try seeing that black Burgie of yours coming out of a shady spot, red at night turns black, blue can blend in as can silver. Being a motocycle makes it worse. Seems folks only SEE a semi or larger and only closer than 50 yards. Don't ask me why. I do drive with highbeams during the day and it seems to help OR folks around here are slightly more observant. Moving a little (like leaning and straightening up or drifting within your lane slightly) works wonders also. But the bottomline is we will always have folks pull out in front of us or try to t-bone us or run us over. Nothing will make that go away. All we can do is always be prepared for it and whether it's increased stopping distance or always having an escape route or whatever works keep trying to be missed by the cages.
At least silver is still faster! ;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
imagine how many burgmans suzuki could sell if they actually advertised,burgman owners are the best fiends suzuki ever had ,if they were smart they would open separate dealerships just for the burgmans and offer new colors,models,etc...

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
4DThinker said:
Silver does look good on a Burgman. So if you can handle no one noticing, but like silver, then get one.

I got black. I wanted blue. Sounds like a bruise. :wink:

Dave B.

How well do you get noticed at night time with your Black/bruised Burgman? :wink:

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
allwalk said:
How well do you get noticed at night time with your Black/bruised Burgman? :wink:
At night all things equal out. Color is irrelavant when there is little light. What people see is what gives off light or reflects their light back to them. I only ride at night maybe 5% of the time. I figure the light of my brakes, turn signals, and headlights stand out MORE against the black background of night than they do against the little bit of black on my Burgman during the day.

The town I live in is 40,000ish, and much smaller in the summer when college kids have left. There is some traffic, but rarely any dense traffic rush effect. I ride defensively, and don't care if cages see me. I like it when they do, but don't count on it. At night you can't make eye contact to see if they are looking your way, but you can still measure their momentum and direction to help discern their intent. There is much less traffic at night here too, so that helps.

Black wasn't my choice, but I think it stands out more during the daylight than any gray or silver tone color would. Much of the outdoors is shades of gray or green or brown. Very little of it, even asphalt, is really black.

Dave B. :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Here we go, another good thread starts sliding down the slope....

What's the agrument? We all know blue is the coolest. 8)

Oh yea, congrats!!!

My first person that wanted to chat was still at the dealership. The dealership special ordered it for me. The shop mechanic, who first told me scooters honestly aren't his "cup of tea", took it out for his test drive, told me he didn't want to bring it back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts