Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not knowing age of the battery in the Burgman 400 Type S from my recent purchase. I took the battery (Walmart Everstart with no date)to Autozone and it tested GOOD under load.

I try to get it out for several miles or at least 20 minutes driving time every other day if possible.

No problems yet per say...but I read the voltage after a ride and it was 12.4volts. 24 hours later no riding or charging it reads 12.26 volts.
And there are currently no known parasitic drains going on that I know of (e.g. accesories etc...)

Would this be considered a normal run down in a 24 hour period for a still good battery?

I don't want to worry so much if there is no problem. However, I have been trying to get the bike to condition that I would keep it in with all normal maintenance items gone through.

Thanks for any help that can be offered.
David in Naples

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Never tested mine after a 24 period so can't say if it is normal or not.

You can test for excessive parasitic drains. Disconnect the negative terminal. Be sure the key is off and the trunk light is off. Hook a multi meter between the negative post on the battery and the disconnected negative lead. The meter should not show more than a 3mA current leak.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never tested mine after a 24 period so can't say if it is normal or not.

You can test for excessive parasitic drains. Disconnect the negative terminal. Be sure the key is off and the trunk light is off. Hook a multi meter between the negative post on the battery and the disconnected negative lead. The meter should not show more than a 3mA current leak.
cool stuff...:cool:
will have to try..

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The "dark current" for the pre-'07 400 is specified as less than 3 mA, over 24 hours that would be less than 0.072 mAh which should not appreciably drain the battery--however.

For these little batteries it is not uncommon to see 12.4 V give or so after a ride--though I would feel more comfortable if it were a bit higher (12.5 to 12.55 V). The 12.26 V after 24 hours is a bit (a tiny bit) concerning, however if the bike cranks over and starts well I would not do any more than make note of it.

When Autozone tested it what sort of tester did they use--was it a real load tester (a rather large device) or a handheld electronic tester (a transconductance tester)?

The latter does not actually test the battery under load but applies an AC signal of 80 to 100 Hz to the battery to measure its conductance (its internal resistance and ability to conduct current). At these lower frequencies a lead acid battery's (flooded, gel, AGM or whatever) state-of-health can be accurately determined. So accurately that if it passed such a test I would put its health out of my mind for a while.

Conductance testers very often also determine the battery's current CCA capacity when the tester is programmed with the battery's rated CCA. The typical rating for the "12A" series battery used in the '400 is 140 CCA.

Harbor Freight has a nice conductance tester that is often on sale--sometimes for as low as $60. I picked one up a couple years ago and have not used a real load tester since:

If you use it to record a new fully charged battery's health those values can be a great baseline for future evaluations and provide plenty of warning before the battery actually dies...

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Looking at the tester's display, I'd say that the battery is dead. 1 Amp and 4.2 mega(M) Ohm gives a voltage drop of 4.2 mega Volt. (4,200,000 Volt)

But 4.2 milli (m)Ohm only gives a voltage drop of 0.42 Volt @ 100 amps, and indicates a very good battery.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Conductance testers display the battery's internal resistance in mΩ (1/1000th of an ohm), though I have seen some display the unit incorrectly with a capital M.

A battery with internal resistance of 4.2 MΩ (mega-ohms) would be about as effective as a block of wood.

Make sure the tester's connection to the battery are at the terminal posts, or very close, and that they are solid connections.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haven't messed with special testers...ran voltage earlier before ride was still around 12.26. After a 25 mile round trip today and after an hour or two it read 12.31 volts.
So probably marginal battery right now. Meaning , its holding a charge but not for too long. I would venture to guess anything just shy of a week might be an issue. Over that, and its rolling the dice.

Should I get another EverStart EBS12BS AGM from Wally World for $54 ?
Or do I need to spend more for better?

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
I'm running an EverStart in my 650. Seems to be about as good a battery as the OEM and Motobatt batteries that proceeded it.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Haven't messed with special testers...ran voltage earlier before ride was still around 12.26. After a 25 mile round trip today and after an hour or two it read 12.31 volts.
So probably marginal battery right now. Meaning , its holding a charge but not for too long. I would venture to guess anything just shy of a week might be an issue. Over that, and its rolling the dice.

Should I get another EverStart EBS12BS AGM from Wally World for $54 ?
Or do I need to spend more for better?
Walmart's batteries are as good as anyone's as there are only a handful of actual battery manufacturers in the world. The plethora of brands you see are just batteries made to order by one of those and re-branded.

Walmart's are less expensive because they have tremendous buying power¹, often telling manufacturers how much they will pay--and if a vendor doesn't like that they will find one that does.

If I were to buy sufficient quantity I could get them labeled CliffyStart.

But...

Before you buy a battery make sure the charging system is working as it should:

• With the engine hot start the motor;
  • Switch the headlights to hi-beam;
  • Run the engine at 5000 rpm and measure the voltage at the battery terminals;
It should be 14.0 to 15.5 V--if not there is a charging problem...

-----------------------------------------------------------
¹ - In 2014 Walmart bought 365 billion dollars worth of merchandise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts