Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Send your seat to Russell Day Long. I have 3 of them on my current bikes, all heated, all very comfortable.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Several different options and different folks like different ones. I'm partial to my Corbin long with back rest. Almost 110,000 miles of riding on it now.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Click on the "MY Gallery" link in my signature and open the New 07 Executive album. Several pictures on it in there.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Send your seat to Russell Day Long. I have 3 of them on my current bikes, all heated, all very comfortable.

You betcha. I have had three of them including the one on my current 650 Burgman. Just got back from a 250 mile ride and ready to do another.

They are expensive to be sure, but your butt will never complain with how much money you have spent.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Several different options and different folks like different ones. I'm partial to my Corbin long with back rest. Almost 110,000 miles of riding on it now.
Have you ever ridden a 650 with a Day Long ? If so how do you compare the two ? To be honest the Corbin long looks like it would work for me , but all I hear is they are hard and stay hard forever . I'm finally getting around to getting some custom seats for my scoots , and I don't mind at all paying up for a good comfortable seat . A lot of people think these seats are terribly expensive , I'm not one of them (if it works). I've tried to build a seat for a Silverwing years ago and I still have the seat . I made it a lot better than the stock seat , but IMO it still isn't right or what I want . IMO paying around $1,000 for a well built seat that works for you is a bargain .

TheReaper!

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
I have ridden on a 650 with a Day Long on it and found it uncomfortable. However since the Day Long is custom built to fit the individual rider that may have just been how that particular seat was built.

The padding in the Corbin is hard but I like that because it provides good support all day long. It will conform to you after a couple of thousand miles of riding and that is when the comfort goes up. I can ride all day on mine without any problems.

The main reason I bought mine was for leg room. I was crowded on the stock seat. All the other custom seats are built on the stock seat pan and there is only so much they can do to increase leg room before they hit the kick up at the back on the rider portion of the seat. Main way they increase leg room is to raise the seat height. Corbin builds their own seat pans so they can move the location of the kick up. My Corbin is the long version. That version moves the kickup back between 2 and 3 inches.

·
Registered
753 Posts
However since the Day Long is custom built to fit the individual rider that may have just been how that particular seat was built.
That pretty much is it I think. The seat is built for the heinie of the person that is ordering it and most likely will not please everyone that tries it. I know that of the three that I had that for certain, the saddle felt odd at first but in a very short time the saddle and my buttocks were very happy with each other.

Back around '96 or '97 a Honda shop in middle Tennessee had gotten a PC800 in on trade and they swapped me the Corbin off of it even stephen for my stock PC seat. Sounded like a deal to me! Well, long story short in about a month- month and a half I in turn traded it to one of the guys in the Nashville rider group for his stock seat. I just could never get that dang Corbin to feel comfortable at all. Stock seat sucked and it was better than then Corbin.

And I am not dissing Corbin as I have a leather one on my KLR 650 as well as one I sold last year and I like it just fine, but I think that you will find a great deal more satisfied RDL seat owners than you will Corbin owners. Been that way in my experience anyway. Of course, your butt's preference may differ.

·
Banned
78 Posts
Corbin long seat for me.

It's the best thing that's ever been conceived for a 650 Burgman.

I'm 6' tall with a 34" inseam.

Putting the long Corbin seat on my Burgman transformed it into the most ergonomic motorcycle I've ever ridden.

I sometimes wonder what all this talk is, about Corbin seats being hard?

It seems to be a common theme when the subject of Burman's come up, but Corbin sells a lot of top quality seats for other motorcycles and I never hear anybody else mentioning anything about how hard those seats are. I also wonder how many of the people who say they are hard have ridden a Corbin equipped Burgman. Sometimes I think they're just repeating what they've heard someone else say.

In any event, a motorcycle seat isn't a bean bag chair.

A good motorcycle seat has a proper form and holds that forms.

Nobody has it figured out better than Corbin.

They've been doing it for a long time.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Personally I think the Corbin is the best looking seat for the 650 and I can't wait until I can buy one for mine. Maybe someone will make a water bag seat (saline implants anyone?). :D

·
Banned
78 Posts
My first Corbin seat was on a '91 Suzuki 1100 Katana.

The stock seat was little more than a vinyl covered sponge. After 50 miles or so the inside of my thighs were riding on the frame rails.

Just by chance, I stopped into a local motorcycle shop and they had a used Corbin seat for an 1100 Katana on the shelf for sale for $175. I think they took it off of a trade in and sold it separately.

I bought it, put it on the bike at the shop, and left the stock seat with them to do with what they wanted. (saved me the trouble of hauling it home to dump in the trash)

I never had any comfort problems out of the bike from then on.

I don't know how many miles the seat had on it when I bought it, but I put 30,000 miles on it ans it was still in pristine condition when I sold it with the bike.

Corbin seats are good stuff.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a Russell Day-Long on my K9 650. It is absolutely wonderful! Like the name implies, I can ride all day without any hip or back pain. The seat is wider than the OEM seat, so it is a bit more difficult to put my leg down when coming to a stop. To compensate, most riders with Russell seats slide a bit forward when they're about to stop to get to the narrower section of the seat. I am completely used to this maneuver now and getting my leg into position is second nature. I couldn't be happier with my Russell. They're expensive, but in my opinion worth every penny

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
And I am not dissing Corbin as I have a leather one on my KLR 650 as well as one I sold last year and I like it just fine, but I think that you will find a great deal more satisfied RDL seat owners than you will Corbin owners.
I'm not so sure about that. 4 people in my local riding group have Corbin seats on their 650s and all like them. All have done several multiple day touring rides covering thousands of miles. But like you said each person is different and what works for one may not work for another.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
How does the leather stand up to the rain? I'm considering a new seat and am not sure if all vinyl would be the way to go for me.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Rain does not seem to bother the leather. Overall the leather seems to stand up better than the vinyl. The leather on mine still looks good after 7 years but the vinyl on the sides is starting to show some wear. I do store the bike indoors and I use a leather conditioner on the seat a couple of times a year.

·
Registered
748 Posts
What's a price on both these seats? How long is the turn over?
Any input from a passenger? I'm more worried about her then myself.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts