Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a loud horn I can mount on my mirrors,etc.? I do not want to replace the oem horn. I just want an extra one that is loud and can be easily hooked up to my battery without any relays,etc..

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
"Loud" and "without relays, etc." are mutually exclusive. Any horn I would consider loud (110+ dbA at 3 m) will draw 15 to 20 A or more unless starved by the wiring--even electric "buzz box" horn sets will draw 10 to 15 A.

"Loud" is energy therefore it takes energy to make "loud"...

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
You can Try the Stebel TM80 Magnum Horns, there kind of Loud.

just be careful not to get Ripped off by a China Replica.

the Stebel's are Made in Italy

Elliott,

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The Wolo Bad Boy (which I have on my '03 400) has a much higher initial current draw than electric horns of similar loudness, 20 A or more, due to it's being an air horn with a small rotary vane compressor. It takes quite a bit of power to start up the compressor motor with the surge lasting 500 to 600 ms, steady state running it draws 15 A or so.

As I bought the bike it had a set of Wolo's Maxi Sound electric horns. They are only slightly less load than the bad Boy (114 dB vs 118 dB) and draw less initial power, just 15 A for less than 100 ms. The steady state draw is 12 amperes so a relay is still needed. I actually liked the sound of them better as they are of a lower frequency, 400/480 Hz, as opposed the Bad Boy's 530/680 Hz combination. If I get ambitious some day I believe I will re-install the Maxi Sound electric horns.

In comparison to the above power requirements, the stock "meep-meep" horn draws about 8 A and is powered from the same 15 A fuse as the turn signals. I do not believe you will find a louder electrically powered horn that will not need a relay and dedicated fused supply run directly from the battery.

A non-electrical option might fit your needs, $5.99 at Target:

·
Registered
501 Posts
When I had my Burgman, I got a air horn with the compressor and I replace the hose with a long one, and put compressor somewhere else and run the hose ,..place the horn right up under the handle bars. Ran a wire to the factory horn so when I pushed it Both would blow at the same time

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Got bored this afternoon and bench tested the current draw for the Wolo Bad Boy and their Maxi Sound horns. I used a 40 A 12.6V power supply (surplus from an IBM mainframe) as the power source as the scooter battery does not have sufficient capacity to let the air horn compressor draw what it can--I found out that neither does the 40 A bench supply!

Here is the start-up and stable draw for the Bad Boy:

35.9 A initial draw, leveling off to 16 A after 100 ms. You can see that the over-current protection in the power supply kicked in (the flat spot) to limit the current. I suspect that using a car battery the peak would be close to 50 A. The steady state draw of 16 A is as tested in the past with the scooter battery.

This is the trace for the Maxi Sound electric horns:

A 25 A peak lasting just over 20 ms. Because the electric claxtons use internal switching to activate/deactivate the coils the current draw reflects same with an 18 A peak and 12 A average draws. Interesting is the obvious aliased beat frequency harmonic produced by the horns' 400/480 Hz tones.

In the expansion of the two horns' power draw below you can see that the period of the beat frequency is 100 Hz, the difference between the horn's actual frequencies:

But wait, shouldn't that be 80 Hz? Let's test the individual horns to see what their actual frequencies are. Here is the low frequency unit:

400 Hz, right on the money--so how come the difference is 100 Hz, not 80 Hz per Wolo's specs? here is the high note horn:

Ah ha! Its actual frequency is 500 Hz, close enough for car horns I guess.

See what happens when a retired engineer is left alone on a gray winter afternoon...

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
These are the best horns to have when riding! :D

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Believe it or not, I was thinking about this thread on Sunday morning on my way to church. I was thinking about the other traffic and the people waiting for me on cross streets as I approached. It occurred to me that a louder horn never has really worked for me. Why?
  • If I have enough time to see the person moving into my lane...then hit the horn...then wait for them to hear...and respond — — then I have plenty of time to take action to avoid the situation. If I rely on the horn to be the only thing I do to respond to a potentially unsafe situation, then I'm likely to lose in the exchange between bike and cage.[/*:m:3dkwlfw4]
  • If I don't have time to use the horn to do the above...I likely need to take immediate action to brake or swerve to avoid an accident. Taking precious seconds to use the horn, is time I should be using to avoid the accident.[/*:m:3dkwlfw4]
So a horn becomes something I use very seldom, and usually only when I get really upset at the driver...after I've avoided becoming road kill.

Chris

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Chris,

I agree 100%, though I have installed a louder horn I only very rarely use it; when I do it is only to vent frustration and notify the offender of their offense--after the annoyance/incident has occurred and been resolved. I have never bought the "loud pipes" argument either.

BTW, after determining the actual power requirements of the Bad Boy horn I will be taking it off and replacing it with the electric Maxi Sound horns this afternoon. I had not fully realised the jolt delivered to the battery and generator/rectifier by that little compressor.

·
Premium Member
8,152 Posts
I have an old bull horn hollowed out , makes a heck of a racket looks cool too kind of lie the shofar the Israelis use but a lot lower pitch and if you don't use enough lung power it makes a farty noise that's a real crowd pleaser, I'm sure it could be mounted to the mirrors but might be hard to get your mouth on with a full face helmet

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Screaming Banshee http://screaming-banshee.com/ The advantage is that you keep your stock horn. Beep-beep still is stock. Hold the horn button in however and the air horn kicks in.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I took some photos while re-installing the Wolo Maxi Sound horns, here is how they fit on my '03 400:

(click on the image to enlarge)

The mounting holes in the frame were pre-existing; the brackets are from the Wolo kit, reformed as needed to make the horn bodies "float" in their final position.

Here is an annotated close-up of the relay interface to the stock wiring:

The relay, stock connector and associated wiring were placed in a heavy plastic bag, "wired-tied" closed and wire-tied to the frame...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I think loud horns are about as effective as loud pipes on Harleys. The noise sometimes alerts the other party in time to see the impact.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Elliott Larron said:
You can Try the Stebel TM80 Magnum Horns, there kind of Loud.

just be careful not to get Ripped off by a China Replica.

the Stebel's are Made in Italy

Elliott,
I bought a Stebel knock-off from China. It works great at less then 1/2 the price. Have you been to Walmart lately? Almost everything comes from China. Try to find a tee shirt made in the USA!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts