Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the growing problem of cagers on cellphones driving blind what do you recommend for an after market horn to wake up the driver that doesn't see us? Obviously the stock horn is a bit anemic as it could use something much louder to warn the cager.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Fiamm makes a flat horn that will bolt right in the stock location. You can even power it right off the stock wiring but you will get much better volumn if you run wires straight from the battery through a relay and just use the stock wiring to trigger the relay.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Craig. This the one you have?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Heard Katrina Horn Kit pretty good. Now i don't hear well anymore

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I have the Wolo Loud Ones electric horns on my '03 400, they are the same horns as Fiamm's Freeway Blasters:

Believe me they get people's attention, they are the same horns that Mercedes supplied as a $250 "fanfare horns" option on my '98 SL500:

One advantage to the electric horns (as opposed to the electric/air horns) is that they require much less power. The Loud Ones horns only need 18 A peak and just a 10 A average:

The Wolo Bad Boy (same as the Stebel Nautilus and many others) wants 36 A at start up and 18 A after that:

For just 3 dB more (I.e. barely noticeable) noise...

·
Registered
926 Posts
Will the Wolo horn pull too much power from our small batteries?

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Thanks Craig. This the one you have?
Yes it is. Bought it at O'Riley's along with a wiring kit for fog lights that included a relay to wire it up with.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Will the Wolo horn pull too much power from our small batteries?
The battery will handle it just fine. The stock wiring not so much. That is why it is better to run wires directly from the battery and control them with a relay hooked to the stock wiring.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
^ this...

Also with the air/electric horns like the Nautilus and Bad Boy the battery cannot deliver the full 36 A start up current I measured which causes a slight delay (250 to 500 ms or so) in the horn's sounding after power is applied. In my tests I was using a 42 A bench supply.

The all electric horns do not have that problem, making a quick "beep-beep" sort of "hey there!" more practical...

·
Registered
926 Posts
Can you just replace the stock horn with one of the airhorns using the existing wiring?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Here is how to do it properly:

Use 3/16" male spade terminals to link the relay coil to the OEM horn connector. On my scoot I used the 16 ga ground wires that came with the horns connected to the frame. As each horn has its own ground the 14 ga ground wire shown in the wiring diagram is not needed...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts