Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the install of my Motolights I want to replace my headlamps to a similar colored bulb/light. Our bulb is the H4? Who makes a quality replacement bulb for our bikes? I dont want that artificial blue you see people pawning off as HID. I just want something less yellowish then the stock ones.
-Bryan

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ive had Piaa's in the past and liked them. Here are a set that I ordered.
http://www.velocityfactor.com/Scripts/p ... roduct=617
-B

I realize that I may have ordered the exact thing I said I didnt want to have. I just read a few reviews on these paticular bulbs and they seemed to fit the need.

·
Registered
135 Posts
if money is not an issue you should look around to convert them to the real hid system...for the cars i think the system is around $800 or so

·
Registered
394 Posts
If you are really looking for a brighter light, as well as, a whiter light, then the Sylvania SliverStar seems to be a great choice. It is legal in all 50 states and Canada and according to reviews, delivers nearly 50% better quality light over conventional blubs. The chart below gives you an idea of light quality from incandescent to daylight.

Best price I could find is at KustomKar.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are really looking for a brighter light, as well as, a whiter light, then the Sylvania SliverStar seems to be a great choice.
I have those in both my van and truck. They are the best bang for the buck. They dont match exactly to that of my motolights. Of course the PIAAs may not either. I would have put PIAAs in my other vehicles before but the price of the bulbs were not as cheap (low cost)as the ones I just ordered.
-Bryan
I will let you guys know what I think after the install.

I know there is a thread on how to change out the bulb. I will go try to find it.
-B

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for the pointers. Are we talking plug and play lamp replacements or do these require new housings? I've not pulled my housing apart so I don't know what the bulb mounts look like. But I wouls seriously consider using a brighter bulb to help visibility if it's an easy fix.

thanks,
ted

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I installed the Piaa Extreme white bulbs in my headlamps. I posted pictures of both the stock and Piaa side by side. http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/PIAA-H4-E ... White-Bulb

Its still day time so its hard to get a true opinion. The light is the most perfect "white" Ive seen from a non-hid light. I was afraid that it was going to be "blue" due to the slight bluish tint on the bulb. NOT the case. Its still hard to see in the pictures but the diffrence is quite amazing. It met my expectations for a $60 set of bulbs.
-Bryan

·
Registered
689 Posts
What about heat, have you given any though to the watts on now it will affect the harness wiring and housing. What is the part number.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What about heat, have you given any though to the watts on now it will affect the harness wiring and housing. What is the part number.
The bulbs are stock wattage. If you look at the PIAA site you will see two readings. One is virtural wattage and the other is true wattage.
(At least thats what Ive been told.) The brightness on my garage wall was equal on both lamps, just that the PIAA was pure white.

http://www.piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs-H4.html

I got the bulb at the top of the page. The 15260.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
*Update*
I rode home at midnight last night and I am totally amazed by these PIAA Hyper White lights. I've always loved lights of all kinds, so I dont expect everyone to get as excited as me, about these bulbs.
The white light produced is absolutely perfect. If you look at the reflector, with the low beam on, you can see the blue dot produced by the blue ceramic tip on the bulb. I like this effect. Out in front of the bike is a wall of near HID white light. I would put these bulbs in the "MUST HAVE" catagory along with the clearview shield. For less than $60 and 10 mins of work you can totally change the look of the bike at night. Before the upgrade the Motolights on the brake calipers were the more dominating of the two sets of lights. Now the headlamps are more eye catching.
Ill stop rambling now.
-Bryan

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Thanks for the update Bryan. Lets face it bulbs are going to burn out and need replacing. Quite honestly I didn't really give much consideration to them before. Seeing that I work shift work and find myself driving into or coming home in the dark I should maybe look at getting these same bulbs as a replacement for mine.
Thanks again.....I now have a little research to do to see if I can get them locally up here.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Greengoose said:
...For less than $60 and 10 mins of work you can totally change the look of the bike at night...
Bryan, I understand how the bulbs change the "look" of the bike and can make the headlights more eye catching. This a great thing in the ever growing sea of automotive daytime running lights. I do have two questions however.
  • Do you think the lights actually help you see better at night?
    [/*:m:28av8sjs]
  • Do they seem brighter or just whiter?[/*:m:28av8sjs]
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Bryan thanks for the web link. Turns out there is a dealer just up the road from me. First can you answer me a few questions since you seem to be the light expert. What is the difference between the ones you installed and the Super Xtreme or Platinum Super white series and why did you go with the ones you did.
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
minnmax said:
Greengoose said:
...For less than $60 and 10 mins of work you can totally change the look of the bike at night...
Bryan, I understand how the bulbs change the "look" of the bike and can make the headlights more eye catching. This a great thing in the ever growing sea of automotive daytime running lights. I do have two questions however.
  • Do you think the lights actually help you see better at night?
    [/*:m:2cbczcjv]
  • Do they seem brighter or just whiter?[/*:m:2cbczcjv]
Thanks.
Im so glad you asked.
Of course perception is always an individuals opinion. So my views don’t necessarily mean that its fact.

I think the white light carries further than the yellowier stock bulb. The light cut off is more defined over the yellowier light. The unique "blue" dot in the background of the reflector catches your eye. The white light reflects off of objects in such a way that the definition of items stand out more clearly. Maybe how a diamond looks more dazzling under certain lights and not others. Its really hard to describe.
Regarding the idea of other seeing me easier? When you are driving, anything out of the ordinary will catch your eye. I think this is the case with these lights. Have I muddied the water even more?

Look at the pictures and maybe you can see what I mean.

http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/PIAA-H4-E ... White-Bulb

-Bryan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts