Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a replacement air filter yesterday for the Lardy. After taxes it was just under $40 CDN. I ordered it and it should be here in 3 days but do we as 650 owners have any other options than the OEM?

·
Registered
65 Posts
K+N Filter

The part number for the K+N air filter SU 2599 is the same for both the 250 and the 400 so it is possible that the same filter will fit the 650 if the air box is the same shape.
Norman B could compare his two Burgmans.

Cheers
Ian :D

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Nope. The 650 and the 400 do not use the same filter. I just looked at the BMC part numbers. The 250 and 400 do share the same part, but the 650 is different.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
It is a totally different type of air filter. The 650 uses a disposable paper element filter. I bought one from Ron Ayers last Summer and I still have it on a shelf in my garage. I don't remember it being that expensive. My original filter has not yet become dirty enough to need replacing. The 400 is a re-oilable foam type filter from what I gather.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Perhaps if someone was to contact K&N, there might be an existing filter that will fit the 650, or if not, then maybe enough requests will trigger the production of one. :wink:
I understand these are all reusable so the initial cost may be a little high, but you only have to buy it once.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
lilleyen said:
Perhaps if someone was to contact K&N, there might be an existing filter that will fit the 650
I checked on K&N's website both by vehicle lookup and part cross reference without locating an air filter for the Burgman 650. K&N does list an oil filter for the Burgman 650 : part number KN-138 or KN-138C for the chrome version.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
billmeek said:
I checked on K&N's website both by vehicle lookup and part cross reference without locating an air filter for the Burgman 650. K&N does list an oil filter for the Burgman 650 : part number KN-138 or KN-138C for the chrome version.
Since the disposable paper element filter has gotten me almost 13k miles, I cannot see paying for a reusable K&N that you have to periodically clean and re-oil even if they did make one. More trouble than it is worth in my book.

K&N air filters do typically pass more air, which sometimes enhances performance slightly. However, I've also seen folks say that they pass more dirt through to the engine (as well as more air). There are people who will not use them because of that. I personally would not use one in my Burgman if they do release one.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like were stuck with the OEM filters for now.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Cool. But that filter costs $65.55 and is the type that you need to clean and re-oil. Stock discardable air filter is $27.51 at Ron Ayers. And the first one has lasted me over 12,000 miles. I'd still stay with stock. Just my .02

·
Registered
65 Posts
I used to ride in the Asir Mountains, 9000 feet above sea level and found that my Ducati ran rich but after fitting a K+N I got better performance and the mixture was correct. The intake noise increased but the sound was great,it's a matter of preference.
Check this site http://www.dnafilters.com part number P-S6SC03-01 for the 650 2003 model Burgman.

Cheers
Ian :D

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
pauljo:
And yet another choice, I was just listing a choice, :)
I happen to agree with you which I why I don't have a K&N filter in my 400,Yes K&N does make one for the 400 -
By the way next time check out Arizona Motorsports for the OEM There a little less, and good service (so far)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Randy,

I'm glad you did point it out to us! The more choices the better is right! Every time an aftermarket manufacturer comes out with a new component or accessory for a Burgman, they are showing some confidence that these scooters will sell well enough to justify their effort.

We also need to be able to give our opinion on any product though, and this particular one just doesn't stack up for me. That's all I was doing. I certainly wasn't criticizing you for pointing us to the product. I'm a bit too abrupt sometimes. Buy Hey! That's my only flaw! :roll:

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Randy said:
allwalk wrote
Looks like were stuck with the OEM filters for now.
Not really :)

http://www.bmcairfilter.com/
Cool!
The BMC filter does cost $65.55 US, but it doesn't need cleaning until 25000 kms and even then the kit is about $15.00 US to do the job.

Might even be a performance boost too.

Worth a look.

·
Registered
31,101 Posts
[I replaced the air filter on my '04 650 at about 20,000 miles (32,000 KM). The list price was $33.45 CAN and I paid $26.95 with my senior's discount.

·
Registered
31,101 Posts
MadMaxi said:
Are we talking about the BMC 388/19?
No, I went with the stock Suzuki one this time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts