Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, any advise to what aftermarket exhausts or cans are available for AN 400 (2021)

Thank you

·
Premium Member
18,065 Posts
and speaking of exhausts, When does a Burgy rider stop farting? When he runs outta gas !!!

if your 2021 already needs a new exhaust, you need to find out why instead fo just plunkin another one in there. If yer jus lookin to make more noise, jus drill some holes in what you got, if your're lookin to improve performance, keep yer exhaust and throw away the rest of the bike, go get a hayabusa and then throw away the burgy exhaust

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and speaking of exhausts, When does a Burgy rider stop farting? When he runs outta gas !!!

if your 2021 already needs a new exhaust, you need to find out why instead fo just plunkin another one in there. If yer jus lookin to make more noise, jus drill some holes in what you got, if your're lookin to improve performance, keep yer exhaust and throw away the rest of the bike, go get a hayabusa and then throw away the burgy exhaust
Bit more noise as she sound like a wet fart in Church & hoping to de cat it, let here breath easier

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I doubt you'll find anything made specifically for it, being a very small market and brand new model. Could probably mod something up to fit if you have the equipment.
[Edit... correction.... SUZUKI BURGMAN 400 2017 > 2021 Exhaust - Mivv]

You'll certainly not get any performance gains and will likely cause problems somewhere else (and probably void the warranty), as the airflow, back pressure, fuel ratio, etc. is all carefully engineered to work together for best all-around performance.

·
Administrator
22,436 Posts
Oly, you will, as G-Dub said, NOT see any performance or any gas mileage increase with a new slip on.
The only gain is in noise and MAYBE a pound or two (500 gr to 1 Kg) in weight reduction. This has been tested so may times by members.

Add a free flowing pipe, add a fuel injector programmer like a PowerCommander and a free flowing air filter like a K&N and you MAY get 5% more power, 1.2 Horsepower for a cost of $1,500 per horse.

Louder sound does not equal more power no matter what the "BUTT DYNO" says. Spend the money and then do a day at Lydden Hill Race Circuit Drag Racing to see.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've wondered about this. I nominally agree with those that say "don't waste your money". Then I took the rear tire off and about strained my back on the boat anchor they call a muffler. Given that it is fixed to the swingarm and that it is so heavy I think there may be some benefit. Maybe not the most cost effective, but if that is the critieria: Why by a burgman, why change the windshield, why upgrade seat, why do any of the fun things we do?

I'm curious about what the weight savings would be, it seems that it could be up to 5+ pounds depending on what you go with. Power differences are likely minimal.

·
Administrator
22,436 Posts
I've wondered about this. I nominally agree with those that say "don't waste your money". Then I took the rear tire off and about strained my back on the boat anchor they call a muffler. Given that it is fixed to the swingarm and that it is so heavy I think there may be some benefit. Maybe not the most cost effective, but if that is the critieria: Why by a burgman, why change the windshield, why upgrade seat, why do any of the fun things we do?

I'm curious about what the weight savings would be, it seems that it could be up to 5+ pounds depending on what you go with. Power differences are likely minimal.
It may be true about the total weight savings but I do doubt it will add anything measurable. The bigger BANG for the buck on the 400 is a Vairator upgrade, Contra spring, Sliders, better clutch.

Its speculative and mostly "Matters of opinions". Just like members that swear that running Premumn Gas gives a boost. In all tests it does NOT but you can not change their minds. Even Itchy Boots always runs the higest octane gas in her Honda and lots of viewers have told her she may get a little more power using just Regular gas she will not change. Its her money and gives her the 'Warm Fuzzy's'

Not saying anyone is guilty about this, I AM guilty. If I wanted my Burgman to run faster and get better mileage, I need to loose 80 pounds off my body. I ain't blaming the Burgman 100%.... ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
It may be true about the total weight savings but I do doubt it will add anything measurable. The bigger BANG for the buck on the 400 is a Vairator upgrade, Contra spring, Sliders, better clutch.

Its speculative and mostly "Matters of opinions". Just like members that swear that running Premumn Gas gives a boost. In all tests it does NOT but you can not change their minds. Even Itchy Boots always runs the higest octane gas in her Honda and lits of viewers have told her she may get a little more power using just Regular gas.

Not saying anyone is guilty about this, I AM guilty. If I wanted my Burgman to run faster and get better mileage, I need to loose 80 pounds off my body. I ain't blaming the Burgman 100%.... ;)
I completely agree with how much BS motorists and cyclists "buy". "Surely premium is better", straight pipes, etc etc.

The MIVV information provided on another post quoted a weight savings of 14+ pounds. That may be fairly significant hung off the swingarm, I'd like to test it (but likely won't).

To me one of the more important reasons may be so that if you plan to keep you scoot longterm and your state does/starts doing tailpipe testing you have a fresh cat to put on. I don't know how long the factory units last. My guess is that replacing one may be more costly than the bike is worth at that point...

·
Premium Member
9,870 Posts
I can add a data point or two, re the 650s.

I bought my first Exec, new, in 2007. In 2009, I removed the stock exhaust system, and replaced it with a Yoshimura system.

I forget the path, but stumbling around the 'net, I had discovered that Yosh offered this system. It just struck me as so weird, such an oxymoron, that a famed exhaust maker, quite popular on race tracks, would develop and offer this system for a small-volume scooter, that I couldn't resist buying it.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

You can file this under a fool and his money ... but, as I say, I couldn't resist it, just for the weirdness. (On a smaller scale, I put DUCATI lettering on the back of both of my Execs, in place of the SUZUKI decal.)

The results of this were:
  • A 10 lb. savings (much easier than altering my pizza-centric "diet").
  • A lot more noise.
  • No gain in performance.
I measured the weight-savings myself, using a bathroom scale.

In terms of performance, my riding buddy had a 2008 Exec at the time (which I bought from him in 2016, and which is my sole bike now -- go figure). We did a few drag races afterward (on top-secret proving grounds), specifically to check out the performance aspect. They were always a tie (he weighs just a little more than me).

I had visions of possibly fitting a Power Commander or some such device at an indie bike shop, but never got around to it. (Well, on my next bike, my Victory bagger/dresser, I actually did have a shop do that work.)

In terms of noise, Yosh supplied an insert to tone things down. Without that insert -- I checked this out, during my installation work -- it was straight-pipes kind of LOUD. When I finished up, with the insert, it was merely too loud. I lived with it for the next three years or so, and left that on the bike when I traded it in (to a Vic dealer in CT, who told me that he had a buyer in Russia lined up -- that dealer dude was later arrested for some kind of financial fraud, but I digress). Oh, yeah, I think there was a for-off-road-use-only sticker somewhere, but I passed inspection every year; I'm not sure if they check sound in NY during inspections.

I have a sub-gallery of my installation work here:

And my buddy (pictured) and I (narrating) made a video, for educational purposes:

I had my chrome period on one bike (2000 Valkyrie), and my exhaust experiment on that next one, and that pretty much covers doing dumb mods on bikes. I still add air horns to each bike, brake flashers, stuff like that, but nothing quite so dumb anymore.

Incidentally, I still have that '07 Exec stock exhaust system in my basement. If anyone wants it, come and get it -- Albany, NY, area -- and it's yours.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts

Cut both lunch and dinner back to 70% of present portions for 10 days. In that 10 days you'll lessen your total driven weight 5- 6 lbs and dropped your food bill 30% and saved hundreds of dollars on a different kazoo. it'll never be a sport bike or a v twin wanna be. Revel in its own unique and quiet nature and know Scotty sez "Captain, your getting all their is" regardless of what your hearing or thinking

·
Registered
38 Posts
Cut both lunch and dinner back to 70% of present portions for 10 days. In that 10 days you'll lessen your total driven weight 5- 6 lbs and dropped your food bill 30% and saved hundreds of dollars on a different kazoo. it'll never be a sport bike or a v twin wanna be. Revel in its own unique and quiet nature and know Scotty sez "Captain, your getting all their is" regardless of what your hearing or thinking
I have found giving people diet advice without a good relationship and a lot of knowledge is usually a pretty foolish thing to do. ( and this case I am of nominally healthy weight and I've also been fasting extensively over the last two weeks. :)).

Not only that if you read my posts I think you'll find that have a pretty clear had an understanding of what the benefits of this change would be or not be and that I likely will never do it. I'll also note that one of the key differences is that this weight is affixed to the swing arm and therefore a reduction in weight in that area may be of significantly more impact then one on the seat. My biggest complaint about the Burgman is not really the power but the suspension.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Guys, any advise to what aftermarket exhausts or cans are available for AN 400 (2021)

Thank you
I bought a 2018 AN400 that already had the MIVV exhaust installed. I think it looks good and sounds OK...not too loud but gutsier than the typical "sewing machine" noise of some scoots. The OEM muffler also came with the bike when I bought it and I can vouch for it being pretty heavy!

I don't know if it provides any increase in performance but any reduction in weight is still something in my book. Haven't had any issues with the EFI or rattling.

Regarding use of premium gas, I use it, not because I think it adds performance but because I'd rather not have the 10% alcohol swill in my gas tank. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
I bought a 2018 AN400 that already had the MIVV exhaust installed. I think it looks good and sounds OK...not too loud but gutsier than the typical "sewing machine" noise of some scoots. The OEM muffler also came with the bike when I bought it and I can vouch for it being pretty heavy!

I don't know if it provides any increase in performance but any reduction in weight is still something in my book. Haven't had any issues with the EFI or rattling.

Regarding use of premium gas, I use it, not because I think it adds performance but because I'd rather not have the 10% alcohol swill in my gas tank. YMMV.
Caveat Emptor
Gadget Font Electronic device Screenshot Technology

·
Registered
38 Posts

I was not aware that premium gas did not have ethanol. Is this correct. My longtime understanding is that premium gas has the same ethanol as regular. (It may actually have more ethanol as ethanol raises octane).

Whoever the marketing genius that decided to name high octane gasoline "premium" should be appropriately punished. They have transferred millions from customers' pockets to the fuels companies for no reason...

·
Administrator
22,436 Posts
The normal gas stations Premium is still 10% E10. They have signs out if they sell E0.

In 180,000 MILES of riding Burgman 650's I have pumped 100% E10 Regular except a few tests that proved to me that 85 is more than enough and 93 did nothing to help.

·
Premium Member
9,870 Posts
I fill up on ethanol-free high test the last few weeks of each riding season, because I’m never sure when I’m going to park the bike for the winter, in which case I want a full tank of E0 sitting in the tank. In the bulk of the season, I use E10 regular grade.

I am fortunate that Stewarts, a very ubiquitous chain in my neck of the woods (NY and VT) sells E0 — only in high test — at most of its stations. I am doubly fortunate that one such station is three miles from my house, so I always top off on the way home, as the season winds down.

If it’s late in the season and I’m low on gas riding around and there’s no Stewarts around, I’ve been using the Gas Buddy Pure Gas app for a few years now, to hopefully find another E0 station. Pitstop is another such outfit around here, although I think that they recently changed the corporate name.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I fill up on ethanol-free high test the last few weeks of each riding season, because I’m never sure when I’m going to park the bike for the winter, in which case I want a full tank of E0 sitting in the tank. In the bulk of the season, I use E10 regular grade.

I am fortunate that Stewarts, a very ubiquitous chain in my neck of the woods (NY and VT) sells E0 — only in high test — at most of its stations. I am doubly fortunate that one such station is three miles from my house, so I always top off on the way home, as the season winds down.

If it’s late in the season and I’m low on gas riding around and there’s no Stewarts around, I’ve been using the Gas Buddy app for a few years now, to hopefully find another E0 station. Pitstop is another such outfit around here, although I think that they recently changed the corporate name.
It does make sense that a station may have one grade of E0 and if only one grade they make it premium. Out here in CA we don't have any way to get E0 easily. At least 90 minutes away.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts