1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Technically not a cruise control.It's just a throttle lock. Won't adjust your speed up or down due to hills or wind resistance. But I have one nonetheless and they are convenient for long trips.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Renegade, you are correct in that this product is not a "real" Cruise Control. The info I gave was how the company lists their products. They even Trade Marked the name "Cruise Control" , not that makes them to be a Cruise Control as we are used to. But for the price I thought it was worth mentioning .

Thanks for the feedback .............Dan

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Here is the link to NEP Cruise Control - http://www.soundoffrec.com/products/cruise.aspx

I used Nep model # CC-4 . It was easy to put on and works great . I picked it up at Cycle Gear here in Nashville for $22.99.

I have a 2007 650 , don't know if it will work on a 400 or not .

Dan
I install one of those on my previous 650, did not keep very long, compare to BreakAway cruise the NEP is piece of !!!! and found could be dangerous under emergency situation.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cherie,

Thanks for your input . I would like to know more about the BreakAway Cruise and why you feel that the Nep could be dangerous.

Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I use the VistaCruise in Australia and find it very intuitive but might be tricky on the Burgman.

I used the Breakaway and found it fiddly especially under wide temperature ranges. Well made tho.

I switched to the Kaoka on the Burgman and while not as easy to use as the VistaCruise and more money it looks OEM and very well made

http://www.kaoko.com

·
Registered
585 Posts
Cherie,

Thanks for your input . I would like to know more about the BreakAway Cruise and why you feel that the Nep could be dangerous.

Thanks, Dan
+1.
As long as they are connected per the instructions so that when the brake lights come on it deactivates the cruise control it should be safe. I could see how it could be dangerous if that wasn't connected properly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Breakaway is by far the best. I finally spent the 189$ and it was worth every penny. So easy to use and when you touch brake it releases. Takes about 15 min once it is installed to adjust it right. I wish I would have got it 2 years ago. I was just to cheap. My right hand goes to sleep in about 5 min and I have to let it hang down. I have had a couple of different throttlelocks and even though they work none are close to the breakaway.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
The NEP has been around for donkey's years. I purchased one at the big bike shop in Azusa, California in 1984.

Still have it, but rarely use it, as I am not fond of being unable to close the throttle quickly in an emergency.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just to be contrary - I have a Breakaway on a VStrom -- problem is that is uses up more grip length than is comfortable for me. And, it's fiddly to keep in adjustment. For cheap, I prefer the NEP to any of the other basic throttle locks. Of course, YMMV

·
Registered
108 Posts
Dan I have used the universal vista cruise on several bikes and have installed one on the burgman, very handy easy to use, when adjusted properly you can make adjustments to your speed and easily cut the throttle when its engagged.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Winginit. Until this past fall I have had several different Goldwings in the garage since 1987 and have been riding since 1965 so I do have some experience using throttle locks of different makes. But after 300,000 miles I realized it was time to downsize from the big Hondas to something a little lighter in weight. That is how I came to riding the 650 Burgman I have now. I say all of this to note that if you want to use a throttle lock on your bike you can do so safely and as you said it just needs to be adjusted so that when working you can override the setting at a moments notice without disengaging the lock. You just have to work with it till you have it set right. Because of some damage I did to my right hand on a one day trip from Washington, DC to Nashville ,TN ( when my throttle lock wasn't working ) I have to have a throttle lock on whatever I am riding . Sorry for going on so long. Just wanted to say that you can use a throttle lock and it can be a blessing on any trip you take, short or long.........Ride safe........Dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts