Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello Everyone,
First post in a long time. I have had one silver wing and now on my second Burgman. This one is the bigger 650 for a long ride we have planned this summer. I want to be prepared, so I have been doing my homework, but I could use some advise from long time 650 owners or experienced with products.

-Biggest Givi windshield. Any other companies out there?
-Biggest trunk I can find
-Driver's backrest
bestbackrests.com or Jac Vinson's I am 5' 9" if that helps Any thoughts?
-Saddle bags available?

Any suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Summer ride suggestions

Any suggestions welcome![/QUOTE]

I know you will get many suggestions but here is one I bet nobody else will come up with. A summer riding shirt. I wear protective clothes in the winter and spring but down here in Florida the summers are very hot and muggy. Most of the time I can get by with my mesh riding jacket. As long as I'm moving the air goes right through it.

I got a shirt from Coolibar that feels like I'm only wearing pajamas. They protect you from getting sunburn (But not road rash). It's like protecting your skin for up to 50 SFP. I can't stand sun screen on my skin. They have all kinds and styles for men and women.

I used to use it while sailing in the summertime.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had a Clearview shield on my 650. Had the Goldwing vent in it. Very nice on summer days.
You want to cover up on long summer rides. I did an Iron Butt some years back on my Goldwing. Two friends went with me. Everyone wore sun screen. They wore t-shirts, I wore a mesh jacket. The next day, I was fine, they were wind burned bad. Made for a miserable ride home. For them. And stay hydrated. Very important.

·
Registered
154 Posts
+1 on hydration. Ride for 50 minutes and take a 10 minute break...stretch and drink...and drink some more.

late,
Coz

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Not sure your location, it doesn't say in your profile information. Might make a difference in the gear for climate.

I personally like the Givi screen, good protection and on hands too for colder riding.

·
Registered
21 Posts
For me, I don't want extra drag from a extra large windscreen, so I use a full face shield helmet, which also helps eliminate most of the wind noise, plus avoids wearing ear plugs and eating bugs... :) Two other creature comfort items on my list is butt padding (gel seat pad or thick sheepskin that I use) and throttle helper, throttle lock or cruise control. A good backrest is definitely helpful on long riding days, but make sure whatever backrest you get is adjustable for your comfortable riding position, which varies with height. If you are riding one up, you can tie an extra bag to your backrest, hand grabs or trunk supports. With all the room under the seat and a good sized trunk, you should be good without needing bags. If you are traveling with a passenger, then you might need bags for extra stuff. Pack light is the best advice. Have fun!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
-Biggest Givi windshield. Any other companies out there?
I don't like the Givi shape or construction
Prefer the Clearview and I'd not go too high - you should be able to see over it.
Also suggest a vent.

Many layers is useful and all polyester - fishing shirts, technical gear - Old Navy has excellent dri-fit Tshirts for cheap and Columbia poly fishing shirts have big mulitple pockets.
AAA+ for bikes.

FIgure out hydration. 20 oz Gatorade bottles fit in the glove boxes

Palm throttle and /or throttle lock ( I use both ).

Spare key you keep on you all the time.

Earplugs and good earphones. Get an offline nav program.

If the trip is over 6k miles start with fresh tires.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
For really hot weather, long distance riding, I use the following...

2 20oz Gatorade bottles with frozen water or drink of choice. They fit in the glove boxes with a cozy and will stay cold most of the day.
3 bros backrest extension.
Cramp buster throttle helper.
Mesh jacket and pants. You can wear shorts underneath. Silver or white color.
Evaporative cooling vest when its really hot. Just soak in water and wear under the jacket.
Airhawk seat cushion.
White helmet.
Light grey boots.
Sunscreen for face & neck
Evaporative cooling neckerchief.

Can't tell you how helpful white or silver gear is. Black just cooks ya riding in the sun all day.

My friends swear by heat out shirt and leggings, but I've yet to try them.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
+1 on seeing over the windscreen - makes a heck of a difference, particularly in difficult weather conditions.

+1 on white or silver clothing. Took me a while to find a pair of white riding pants, but they make one HECK of a difference on my Florida commute.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
If you are riding solo then I find the best way is to take a suitably-sized wheeled suitcase tied down across the pillion seat. I have used this method for the last 8 years. Simply lift it off at your hotel, extend the handle and wheel it in. A problem is lifting it off during the journey for underseat access, but this is not required very often.

·
Registered
346 Posts
1. Stay hydrated and take breaks.
2. Cramp buster throttle grip.
3. Foam earplugs.
4. Non-restrictive, ventilated, white/silver clothing (ATGATT approved, of course :D)
5. Don't pack your entire house - lay out what you think you need and then take half of that. There are tons of WalMarts if you really get in a bind.
6. Relax and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Living in Florida , I have also used a chamois as a cooling vest. Fold in half , cut out u shape for head to fit , soakin water and voila .. Also have a under helmet thin winter head cap which I soak in water and wear works well.too.lots of sunscreen ...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I think my Burgman is equipped perfectly for touring. I can't think of anything more that the last owner didn't install. See below.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts