Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my '13 650 back from the dealer the throttle seemed different. The dealer tightened up the play in the cable. He said it was a little loose.

Prior to the service when I closed the throttle the RPMS would go to zero quickly. Now, the RPMs stay at 2,000 or so for 5-10 seconds before going to zero or I slow to 5 mph or less.

I'm not sure if this is acceptable or not. I brought this up to the service manager prior to leaving the dealership. He smiled and said it was the way it was supposed to be so the RPM is readily available again at 2,000 RPM.

I always thought a closed throttle meant ZERO RPM. Should I be concerned? The dealer is 40 miles each way from my home so it is a trip plus the manager just brushed me off when I brought up the issue.

Over time will the cable loosen up?

I just had the 600 mile service performed at the dealership including the Throttle bottle Sync at low RPM.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You want a little play at the throttle handle to allow the throttle plates to completely close. Sounds like to me the dealer removed all play in the throttle cable consequently leaving a slight amount of pressure on the throttle plates keeping them ever so slightly open. It isn't any big deal loosening up the cables slightly.
Greg

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any advice how I can loosen up the throttle cable? I am completely ignorant here.

Any concerns about engine or premature brake wear if I leave it alone?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Any advice how I can loosen up the throttle cable? I am completely ignorant here.

Any concerns about engine or premature brake wear if I leave it alone?
You can adjust it where the cable enters the handlebar assembly. Loosen the locknut and unscrew the cable a bit, then tighten it back up.

Regards
Scott Fraser

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do I need to remove the plastic cover on the handle bars? The cover over the throttle cable? Are there a few screws to remove then I can loosen the cable?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found it in my manual. Page 7-16. It's an easy adjustment to do yourself. I figured out which way to turn to loosen and tighten the throttle fairly quickly. It is quite easy to OVERTIGHTEN the throttle cable.

·
Registered
243 Posts
You don't want zero rpm's, you want idle rpm's at closed throttle. You need to adjust both the opening and the closing cables so there is between 2-4mm of throttle rotation before the rpm's increase off idle.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I checked the throttle cable. It isn't the problem. The bike stays at 2,000 RPM when I completely close the throttle for 5-10 seconds or until I brake to less than 5 mph.

At idle the RPM is 1100 or so. Throttle is at 2-3 mm of play. On the center stand there ARE NO ISSUES as the bike stays at 1100 RPM until I twist the throttle. If I go to 3,000 RMP then close the throttle (on the center stand) the RMP goes to 1100 (idle).

So, is this a reprogramming issue done at the dealer? Did they muck with my ECM/ECU at change gear 1? I know they did the throttle bottle sync at low RPM and solved the vibration issue. But, now I have a safety issue as the bike keeps going when the throtle is fully closed unless I brake and drop the speed below 5 mph or wait 10 seconds.

This problem didn't exist until after my 600 mile service when they performed the throttle body sync and other usual maint.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So can anyone help with an explanation of what the dealer did to mess up my Burgman 650?

Was it the deceleration cable or the low rpm throttle body sync? Service manager is claiming my bike is now at spec but I don't believe him.

Anyone have a Burgman which stays at 2,000 RPM after closing the throttle all the way?
This persists for 5-10 seconds or until the bike is below 5 mph. My understanding is that the RPM should go to idle with a fully closed throttle.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My '09, which I bought new last March, drops down to idle properly. I did my own 600 mile service; why did they fiddle with the throttle body? Were you having some type of problem with the throttle/fueling?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is fine, my does it also

My 2013 650 did not do this prior to the 600 mile service. My Burgman 650 would drop to idle immediately after closing the throttle all the way. But, my Bike had horrible vibration issues at low speed when the RPM was 2000-2900.

The dealer did a throttle body synch. Members on this forum accurately diagnosed my Burg's problem even though the service manager and Tech failed to do so. However, I insisted the throttle body was indeed off and the tech did a balance. The result of the throttle balance and throttle cable adjustment is that my Burg is almost vibration free now at low speed. It is much smoother.

But, the Bike now has this 5-10 second delay to go from 2,000 RPM to idle after closing the throttle all the way. Based on your post above I assume this is similar to your 2013 650.

Can anyone speculate as to why Suzuki made this type of change in the '13 (?'14 as well) compared to the 2012 version?

As usual I really appreciate the responses even if it just to say that your bike does the same thing or your '09-'12 does NOT maintain RPM after closing the throttle.

I'm not thrilled with this "new" adjustment to my Burgman but I will adapt to it. It seems this would add to brake wear as I will need to pull harder to get the bike to stop quickly as it maintains the RPM.

One last thing is that even with my hand off the throttle the bike still keeps going at 2,000 RPM so that can't be great for safety.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts