Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i'm going to test ride a 2013 650 Tomorrow, it's a 1 owner high mileage 51K, bike with full service history, with this mileage how concerned would you be about buying it, i'm thinking of the final drive / clutch failures i've read about over the years, are there any tell tale or warning signs i could look for.
Also any other general things to look for, i have no experience with Burgmans or Scooters in general, but i'm ready to buy one to extend my/our riding life(old age).
Any advice greatly appreciated, oh & i'm UK based.
Cheers, Graham

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying, I'm in Warrington Cheshire, i believe the owner was a she, the Bike is at a dealer a couple of hours drive from me.
So is the transmission "failure" more related to the earlier bikes, or is another overblown internet problem :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks for replying, I'm in Warrington Cheshire, i believe the owner was a she, the Bike is at a dealer a couple of hours drive from me.
So is the transmission "failure" more related to the earlier bikes, or is another overblown internet problem :)
2013 was the revised model. I bought one new for that very reason. I mow have a 2015 650 and plan to ride it many worry free miles.....just my 2 Canadian cents.......

·
Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
4,602 Posts
There should be no issues even with those miles. There is no issue what Suzuki calls the transmission, which is really just a set of fixed reduction gears after the clutch. The clutch is also nothing to be concerned about other than normal maintenance that may be needed per the manuals. The big issue is with the cost of repairing the CVT from certain failures that can happen there. It really is more of a sensationalized Internet issue but it does happen, just not very often, and mostly with older models. That said I've only known of one 2014(?) model that had the issue. Lately it seems that checking and replacing the stopper bolt in the bottom of the CVT may prevent the issue from ever showing up. @mikeyMarine can tell you more about that since he is the one rider I know of who had that issue. Otherwise I've only heard about it on older models and still not very often. Less than 3%, maybe as high as 5% if you count only the early models, in my estimation of all Burgman 650s ever put on the road. I've known several bike brands/models with higher risk of major problems that no one seems to be concerned about ever seeing. I was never really concerned about this issue on my Burgman 650 and would have been happy to keep it (if I didn't get the itch for something new 😁 )

·
Premium Member
18,412 Posts
yep hadda replace my belt, on a 2015 with 34k miles onit, my fault, I didn't check the stopper bolt and it was more than badly worn, I am convinced had I checked it and replaced it as suggested, I would not have broken a belt , even so , replacing the belt myself cost me 800 dollas and now I have a bike that will last till I'm a ghost turd.

·
Administrator
22,776 Posts
Another "cause" of a CVT failure is not cleaning/replacing the CVT air inlet filter.

Reactions: rjs987

·
Registered
169 Posts
yep hadda replace my belt, on a 2015 with 34k miles onit, my fault, I didn't check the stopper bolt and it was more than badly worn, I am convinced had I checked it and replaced it as suggested, I would not have broken a belt , even so , replacing the belt myself cost me 800 dollas and now I have a bike that will last till I'm a ghost turd.
I'm lost Mikey, I thought they ditched the stopper bolt in 2009. CVT diagrams and parts list for 2011 and newer don't have a CVT shaft stop bolt.:unsure:

·
Administrator
22,776 Posts
I'm lost Mikey, I thought they ditched the stopper bolt in 2009. CVT diagrams and parts list for 2011 and newer don't have a CVT shaft stop bolt.:unsure:
Not MikeyM but I copied Partzilla's CVT parts for 2011, 2014 and 2018 AN650's. Its Part # 10. ;)

2011 Rectangle Slope Map Font Screenshot

2014 Product Rectangle Map Slope Font

2018 Product Rectangle Map Font Slope

Reactions: ScootinKev

·
Premium Member
18,412 Posts
I would STRONGLY advise checking yours TODAY, and ordering one TODAY to have on hand. They did change part numbers and size and material is different , but it still wears and still needs to be checked and replaced, I have a sneaking suspicion it is a "sacrificial " component. one that is easy and cheap to replace rather than wearing out one that is not so cheap and easy like a pulley, designed to do what it does and be replaced,, just like oil, or soft bushings between harder metals etc.

·
Administrator
22,776 Posts
Thank you Dave_J and mikeyMarine. Sneaky Suzuki changing diagrams and part sequences on me makin me look stoopid. I don't need them makin me looks stoopids, it coms natruall whit me. 🥴
They hide that bolt on the diagrams. It sometimes makes us all look stoopd

There is different part numbers for earlier 650's and then I think starting in 2009 up to the last (USA) 2018 was the same part number.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Not being a 650 owner (but maybe someday?), what exactly does the stopper bolt stop, and why does a little wear cause such big problems?

·
Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
4,602 Posts
Since the CVT in the Burgman 650 is NOT controlled by sliders or rollers but an electric motor that spins in or out the variable pulley plate there needed to be something to stop it from spinning out too far resulting in the belt riding on the center shaft and flopping between the beveled sides of that pulley, especially while at idle. At least that's how I understood it. I may be wrong. But it is definitely due to this being an ECVT rather than a mechanical CVT.

edit: NORMALLY the variable pulley plate will not spin out too far as long as everything is working perfectly. It's when there is a slight overshoot that the stopper bolt is needed. That's why many stopper bolts don't show much wear, if any, and why most Burgman 650 CVTs never have a problem.

Correction edit: watched a few more videos after the one in the post below (post 19) including a few by Le Dude.
This video shows where the stopper bolt engages with the pulley assembly. I think it is showing the pulley cover (sleeve with the notches in it) is a bit damaged and should likely be replaced:

And this is Le Dude's video showing the same thing... only in better condition:

And here is Le Dude's video on replacing the stopper bolt. It should be about the same on all models:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts