Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2012 Burg 400 and I would like to add a Burg 650. The 2014 650 just came out. What's a good deal on a 2013 Burg 650?

Also, what year did the Burg 650 get ABS? Any 650s come with heated seats?

I'm guessing a late model, low mileage Burg 650 would cost me at least $7500.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I own a 2012 Burg 400 and I would like to add a Burg 650. The 2014 650 just came out. What's a good deal on a 2013 Burg 650?

Also, what year did the Burg 650 get ABS? Any 650s come with heated seats?

I'm guessing a late model, low mileage Burg 650 would cost me at least $7500.
Factory OEM heat seat and heat grip (winter pack in Canada , Europe, etc.) , not available yet in USA

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Until the 2013 model came out ABS was only available on the 650 Executive. The standard model 650 did not have it. The first Exec came out in 2006.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The first executive AFAIK came out in various international markets in 2002/2003. I have the 2003 executive model in NZ and it has ABS, what it doesn't have is the electronic adjustable screen. I also have a 2007 executive model in China which has ABS and adjustable screen, and I really wish there was an adjustable screen on the K3 back home in NZ, as I use the adjustable screen a lot. ABS has always been part of the executive package.

The 650 Burgy with a MFG date of 2013 should be the facelift model, but caution should be applied as sometimes dealers/owner will pass of an earlier model as being from the a different year e.g. where a model has sat on a shop floor and been registered/licensed in a following year. I see more of this occurring in my 'neck of the woods'.

Burgmanmaniac, get the latest lowest mileage six-fiddy Burgy you can afford - and if you can stretch finances to the 2013 facelift model - do it. The changes are more than skin deep.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Bikerdoc, you are correct, but the Exec was not available in the US until 2006.

Burgmanmaniac, I would guess that there are not very many used 2013 650s available. You may be able to get a discount on a new 2013, but I would not expect much of discount until the 2014 650s are delivered to the dealers. Suzuki has a promo on their site for Burgmans, 3.99% interest rate and a free 3 year extended warranty, if that is of any interest to you.

I would guess $9,000 to $9,500 for a new 2013 650. $7,500 would be a good price for a used one, if can find one.

·
Premium Member
12,591 Posts
my area Lakeland/polk county wants 11000 for a 2013 exec, not otd just the bike new of course,

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Bikerdoc - if the 2013 changes are more than skin deep, why do you call it the 'facelift' model?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
As the 2014 will only come in mat gray, I think demand for a glossy finish, even if it's white, may keep 2013 prices high. I for one have not warmed to the mat finishes - I keep thinking 'nice primer, when are you going to put the top coat on?" Then again, I've never been accused of being fashion-forward.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
As the 2014 will only come in mat gray, I think demand for a glossy finish, even if it's white, may keep 2013 prices high. I for one have not warmed to the mat finishes - I keep thinking 'nice primer, when are you going to put the top coat on?" Then again, I've never been accused of being fashion-forward.
100% in agreement. :D

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
That why past winter me refer on BUSA to 2013 650 as EVO model , as EVOLUTION of 2013 because more than cosmetic only.

Many change & optimization not seen physically or cosmetic.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Administrator
20,096 Posts
I can not comment on the 2013 650. But across the years the 650 has not real good suspension. It is not bad, its just NOT as good as most other $10,000 bike.

I also can not give a review of the 400 suspension as I have never ridden one. I have looked at the suspension and will withhold my comments as I have not ridden one to see. :rolleyes:

The rear suspension on the 650 is standard style dual coil over shock. The shocks are not the best out there. The fronts are standard style sliding sleeve with oil dampeners and a loose coil spring. The dampeners are also cheap and can be upgraded.

For the front, I removed my steel spring spacer and replaced it with a bit longer section of a GoldWing spring. I also replace the shock oil with some synthetic Auto-transmission fluid (Chrysler ATF+4). On the rear I ordered some Progressive shocks and springs.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Bikerdoc - if the 2013 changes are more than skin deep, why do you call it the 'facelift' model?
Simply mainly as a method to identify a real AN650L3 (MFG 2013) from an earlier model.

One of the issues I have found within NZ and Australia, anyway as I have been keeping a watchful eye on a new or near new late model 650 Exec... to be offered for sale in both countries. What is concerning is that one or two owners and even shops are advertising scoots for sale as though they are this years model that are essentially not. This is somewhat misleading. An example is a 650 Exec model registered in Jan 2011, being offered for sale in NZ with ~11000km as a 2011, when in actuality it's a 2010 model, maybe even a 2009 depending on MFG date, when it was imported and how long it sat on the dealership floor. So as a way to make the differentiation between the Burgman 650 2002-2012, I use the word face-lift since all the models up until the MFG 2013 share all the same cosmetics.

There was one owner who had bought and paid for a 2009 AN650 exec, but never plated it, the scoot sat in the dealers shop he bought it from for several years with 0km on it. He offered it for sale earlier this year, and went and had the scoot plated after fitting a new battery, and had a service done on the scoot with the same dealer, since the Burgy had to be ridden to get a WOF (road-worthiness certificate) in NZ. The bikes registration showed 2013. This is somewhat misleading IMO, after all the scoot was and is a 2009 model. The differences might be mute, but it still represents a difference.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I wasn't sure about the gray until I saw it on the new 400, I liked it so much I'm waiting for the 2014's to buy my new 650.

I'm waiting for the 2014 650 so I can get a discount on the white gloss 2013 650. I'm not a fan of that flat paint on the 2013 400. To each his own. I'll take the discount on the 2013 650 and I hope the '14 hits the showroom soon.

If the 650 accelerates from 30-70 mph faster than my 2012 Burg 400 ( I got it new recently) i'll be quite happy. I'm looking for more low end pickup (just a bit more) and higher top end for I-95 riding which is 85 mph in my area. I'm keeping the '12 400 and adding a '13 650. I figure "his and hers" would be nice for weekends.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I think you'll be quite pleased with the 650's acceleration from 30mph to 70mph (especially in POWER mode). I was not only pleased the first time I tried it, but a little surprised at the way it tried to throw me off the back of the bike.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think you'll be quite pleased with the 650's acceleration from 30mph to 70mph (especially in POWER mode). I was not only pleased the first time I tried it, but a little surprised at the way it tried to throw me off the back of the bike.

I agree with you. That's why I decided to buy a '13 650. I'll enjoy the comparison of the '400 (which I like) with the 650 (which I'll really like) and the ability to ride alongside my wife for a few local trips. In addition, I can use the '400 for short rides to the gym.

I'm thinking of using the 650 for highway riding where I want/need an actual 85 mph scooter with some reserve on tap.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I agree with you. That's why I decided to buy a '13 650. I'll enjoy the comparison of the '400 (which I like) with the 650 (which I'll really like) and the ability to ride alongside my wife for a few local trips. In addition, I can use the '400 for short rides to the gym.

I'm thinking of using the 650 for highway riding where I want/need an actual 85 mph scooter with some reserve on tap.
Boy, Burgmanmaniac, when you jump in, it's cannonball style. Lol.

It took me seven years till I added the 650 to my stable. Im glad you're having so much fun with the 400 And are reaching out to learn as much as you can about the 650, riding, etc. It sounds like you paid your dues and are enjoying the fruits of your labor. Have a really great time with it.

You should check for riding groups in your area. Check out www.meetup.com and search for "scooter" or "motorcycle" groups in your area. Make sure the group accepts bikes of all makes & models. If you join, reassure them in your intro that your bike can do highway speeds. I'd just avoid the Harley and sport bike groups, they don't appreciate scooters like we do. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts