Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My scooter recently fell on the right side while I was away--cause unknown. The insurance company totaled it and paid me handsomely. They said it would be $4,000 to replace all the damaged pieces. Everything still works fine, it's just tupperware damage. I'd like to get the scooter back to a condition that isn't embarrassing, while spending as little as possible.

I've surveyed all the forum posts, and I've found 6 techniques for repairing plastics:
1) Use heat and ABS plastic
2) Make a mix of ABS shavings and acrylic cement
3) Use ABS cement (essentially the same as #2?)
4) Lay down aluminum mesh and cover it in fiberglass paste
5) Use JB Weld
6) Use Plast-Aid

For painting, sand down the surrounding area and use ColorRite to get the right match.

Here are pictures of the damage. Does anyone have any advice on which techniques to use where? I've never done any tupperware work before. If you think a part is so badly damaged and it's worth it to replace, that's okay too.

Many thanks for any advice!

Front leg shield:

Side leg shield:

Front box, frame cover, and maybe footboard?:

Back frame cover:

Front wheel cover:

Front box:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
That's not even half as bad as from my gravel incident. I would take 1000 dollars and go to a low rider type of shop and have them do fiberglass repair. That's what I'm doing with mine. They should be able to put some plastic filler in and make it all nice again. Not a big problem I don't think.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I would recommend a plastic welder for the cracks. Even the cheap ones would repair the cracks better than any glue. Best to use plastic welding rod correct for the plastic you want to repair. The hard painted panels are ABS most likely and the black panels are polypropylene. I get my stuff from here -

http://www.urethanesupply.com/

The smaller spots can be filled. Bondo is not designed for plastics and will flake off if you flex it too much. JB weld will also flake off but does stick much better than bondo. They make bondo-like putty for plastics and they work much better.

For some of the more seriously damage parts like that rear fender - get a good used one off ebay.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Yeah! thats True it would Cost $$ lots of money to Replace All the Plastic, Just replace the Plastic that you can't Handle and Bondo, the rest,
Front box you can replace,

And this time Get Some Rubber, and Pegs on the side!! that stick out atleast 1 to 1/2 Inches!! to avoid this next time...

But there are some Bondo, Thats Made for Plastic there are two Brands

Elliott,

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Spooker , how much did you have to pay to keep it and what year and how many miles ate on it ?

TheReaper!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link Speedandstyle, that looks like a good resource.
Reapster--I think they deducted something like $1000 for the salvage value. They still paid me more than I paid for the bike new 4 years ago, and I kept the bike! Didn't have to register it as salvage either

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Thanks for the link Speedandstyle, that looks like a good resource.
Reapster--I think they deducted something like $1000 for the salvage value. They still paid me more than I paid for the bike new 4 years ago, and I kept the bike! Didn't have to register it as salvage either
OK that's a fair price for both you and the insurance co. . After looking at your bike and if it were me I wouldn't get in a hurry to fix it . I would stick it in the back of the garage and start looking around for one with a blown motor and good plastics .

I bought a wrecked Silverwing for $1,500 a couple of years ago with 1200 miles on it , the plastics were shot but underneath was a brand new scooter . I couple of months ago I picked up another Silverwing , it was a one owner dealer serviced with 40K on the clock for $1,600 . Now I have a good set of plastics for the one that was wrecked , plus a complete rolling running chassis . I will be able to get most of the money back parting out the rest of it . Trust me , in these things it pays to be patient .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I'm with Speedandstyle for the abs plastic weld for cracks and splits. It works extremely well and is very strong. Glues can work but are not usually as good on cracks.

·
Premium Member
14,260 Posts
I've had more luck with plastic welding holding up than I have with glues.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Check the classified there is a 400 for sale with a blown motor and good plastics .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'm learning plastic welding, interesting skill. My local body-shop-supply manager recommended a body putty specifically formulated for plastics, it remains slightly flexible after curing. You might want to check that out. The manager guy was extremely helpful, he'll be an excellent resource when I get to the painting stage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts