Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was second in line at a red light, the car in front pulled out and turned left, I was in a left and straight lane, there was no one stopped at my right, at the cross street, no one stopped at the left at the cross street no one across the street coming my way and no one behind me, just the one car pulling away to my left and I proceeded across the intersection and a truck came out from down the right side into the intersection in front of me , I had time to see a green light (mine) the truck slowing, the lady on the phone the center line going by I looked and thought if I go in front I'll get run over by the truck, if I lay it down I'll end up under the truck and get dragged and if I try to go behind I'll just get whipped around and to think this is going to hurt and I am on the brakes the whole time it seemed like a year but not long enough and I just decided to brace my feet and drive as far into the crash as I could and stay in control
I hit her side front panel somewhere near the driver's side tire front or back of the tire I cant say, I ended up under the front of the truck looking at the radiator with the bike beside not in front of the truck, I had slowed to almost a stop before I hit ,

now what could I have done different I've played it a thousand times in my head , I missed something I should have done (besides stay at home that day)

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
We have too many intersections around here where I've seen cars, not motorcycles, in positions you would think impossible...caused by people who hit someone else while running a light. When I was younger, I used to drag race from the stop lights. No more. I make a point of looking both ways. If the light has just turned green for me, I'm looking to see if the cars coming are slowing down at least. If the light has been green for me for a bit, I'm checking to make sure the first cars at least are stopped. If someone coming up behind them isn't going to stop...hopefully those other cars will be my barrier.

I suppose it depends on the area of the country you live in, but this area is too built up to do the stoplight drag race anymore. If you do, it is like playing Russian roulette. You'll get away with it for awhile, but not forever. That's why when I read of 650 owners writing about racing from every stoplight to beat an HD, I cringe and hope they live in a less populated area than I do.

So the bottom line is I'd take an attitude of not assuming anything about the intersection and do a double-check to ensure the intersection is clear. You can never stop someone from running a red light, but you can try to improve your odds as you navigate the roads where they drive.

Chris

·
Registered
412 Posts
Mike, it was your red light runner that makes me look both ways at every intersection now. When I approach an intersection and already have the green and there is other traffic flowing through that intersection with me I feel I have a little protection from the sides but I still glance left and right as I enter the intersection.

When I am first in line at a stop and get the green, I am looking both ways as I give it gas, hoping to catch that red light runner before he/she enters the intersection. I also look both ways before gassing it... but your incident keeps me looking both ways until I'm half through the intersection.

And I think that is all you could have done to avoid your accident. Once you two were destined to meet it was too late to do much, you have a split second to decide if you are going to brake or swerve and you have to do one or the other, not both.

That split second decision to brake or swerve is what makes me so nervous about the left-hand turning cages at intersections. I like the intersections where they can only turn left on a green arrow.

Hope you're healed up and feeling better now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
All of my logic says to apply maximum braking in that situation as described. Scrubbing off as much speed as possible makes a colision less damaging. Swerving would have taken too much time, time needed to scrub off that speed.

"Laying the bike down"? Not even an option. Though it's what happens when you incorrectly apply that maximum braking.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
When at an intersection where traffic is approaching with any uncertainty, I will tap the horn a few time to alert everyone of my presence.
This only works if the horn can be heard and not with the wimpy stock horn. I am not obnoxious about it but not bashful either. :wink:
If they can't hear my pipes let them hear my horn! :thumbup:
But also remember that sometimes the unavoidable is just that.....wrong place at the wrong time. :?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
a truck came out from down the right side into the intersection in front of me[quote:2a8hi4vu]

Has happened to most of us...another vehicle just "appears out of nowhere"...and by your description, ran its' red light as it entered the intersection...nothing you could have done to prevent or predict that scenario...I have taught all 5 of my kids that it's that second look that saves your life...look right, then left, then right again, then left again...that second look sometimes makes the "invisible become visible"
I am on the brakes the whole time it seemed like a year but not long enough and I just decided to brace my feet and drive as far into the crash as I could and stay in control I hit her side front panel somewhere near the driver's side tire front or back of the tire I cant say, I ended up under the front of the truck looking at the radiator with the bike beside not in front of the truck,
You did exactly what you should have done...on the brakes...scrubbing off as much speed as possible
I had slowed to almost a stop before I hit
That "almost" is a bitch isn't it...you probably only needed a few more feet, and you would have had a "pucker" incident instead of a crash :wink:

...this is why I advocate practicing emergency stopping...open lot, safe environment, 35-40 MPH, and braking as hard as you can, without losing traction to wheel lock-up...in this kind of situation, we tend to go to reflex mode instead of think mode...we do instinctively what we have "taught" ourselves to do, because there isn't time to "think", only react
now what could I have done different I've played it a thousand times in my head , I missed something I should have done (besides stay at home that day)[/quote:2a8hi4vu]

The police report should show her at fault...small consolation for your accident and bike :wink: she ran the red light...you did everything in your power to avoid the collision...file it under crap happens sometimes :wink:

I trust that since you are posting, that you are OK...and the bike needs some bodywork...that should be the easy part :wink:...and you really do not want a "next time" :lol:

Bill

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
In AZ, if you were making a left, you are automatically sharing fault. It doesn't matter where, either. Even on private property, this rule is in effect.

I was hit at an intersection, just as I was completing my left turn. The Chevy Tahoe ran a red light and T-boned me. He was cited for running a red light. I was considered 20% at fault by the insurance company because of this law. The lawyer said that the percent of liability is arbitrarily set. It is difficult to fight because of the way the law is written.

Hope you are alright.

·
Registered
562 Posts
convertfromVespa said:
In AZ, if you were making a left, you are automatically sharing fault. It doesn't matter where, either. Even on private property, this rule is in effect.

I was hit at an intersection, just as I was completing my left turn. The Chevy Tahoe ran a red light and T-boned me. He was cited for running a red light. I was considered 20% at fault by the insurance company because of this law. The lawyer said that the percent of liability is arbitrarily set. It is difficult to fight because of the way the law is written.

Hope you are alright.

Sounds like time to only make right hand turns. PITA but it would keep you safe from that law.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I always slow down at any intersection - even with a green light.....!!! AND am prepared to stop - if need be..... I have never trusted the "judgement" of another driver - E V E R......!!!!!!!

·
Registered
562 Posts
convertfromVespa said:
How true how true. I take a lot of routes that are only right turns, even if I have to drive further.
I do this when it's busy instead of making a left out of a parking lot, I'll just go right and turn left at a light and then come out and turn right from there to get in the direction I need to go. Alot safer sometimes, especially on 2 wheels.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Mikey,
Hope you only suffered some justified road-rage. And were not injured otherwise.
It is crap like this that makes you wish the driver's test included hands-on use of a cell phone while taking the test. Then and only then could someone who passes use a cellphone while driving. I mean I don't smoke but wondering if lighting up is considered distracted driving? Certainly driving with the radio/amps cranked up so as to be noticeable 1/2 block away is distracting. How could they possibly hear a siren?
A couple months ago on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, a 16 year old female driver answered the question of should she be able to use the cellphone while driving. She answered "Sure, like what else is there to do". Who taught her how to drive?
Back in 1956 when I was taught the Man and the Motorcar course in High School, my instructor commented that every one of us could operate a car with no trouble, He was going to teach us Attitude. Like they say driving is a privilege not a right. Too bad so many drivers abuse that.
Some people truly can successfully multi-task; driving while talking or somewhat listening to the radio, Some can't!
Sorry to hear you were injured by someone who couldn't.
NodakRider

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Well..!!!!!!!!!!! There is accounting for - STUPID.....!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
v8eyedoc said:
Well..!!!!!!!!!!! There is accounting for - STUPID.....!!!!!!!!
Always account for stupid.

In every case, I'll take "stupid" and the points. Stupid doesn't win every time, but it always beats the spread.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I had a close call yesterday at a stop light. While in the left lane I started to make a legal U turn. Obviously I was going very slow when a cage at the intersection on my left started to make a right turn right in front of me. In Florida it is legal to make a right turn after stopping first and the way is clear. He started his right turn almost right into me. I thank my modulating headlights for saving my a**.

This isn't the first time I sensed my modulating headlights saved me. Going down the road a couple of time I see cages creeping out from side streets and jamming their brakes on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
At my age I've realised that trying to be first is not always the best decision, unlike the me in my twenties . I've been able now to see a lot more of the yellow turning red lights & am constantly trying to slow down enough to time the next light . Doesn't always work but using the power switch is very helpful. Sometimes I try to stay feet up & see how long I can balance stopped sometimes even making the light if it's a quick light. I'm fortunate in some ways to live in a very ruarl area of TX, except for the farmers coming off the side dirt roads believing that senority combined with vehicle size gives them right-of-way! The Don

1 - 16 of 16 Posts