Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I am looking for a scooter and wanted some buying advice.

I have already posted two threads and I think it will be easier if I just link to both instead of pasting all that info here.
Here's my introduction thread http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59801&p=553059#p553059

My buying advice thread http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=59811

I've had a 50cc and a 125cc but I'm again looking for a scooter and I'm a chunky munky at 360lb, I am interested in something bigger.
I don't even know what I want as I have no experience with the bigger scooters but I did try a Honda Reflex 250 the other day and didn't like it at all.

I do NOT plan on riding with a passenger so when responding and suggesting the bigger ones don't do so based on two up riding. That being said,
I like power but I also know that a 400 will haul me without a problem. Hell, my 50cc DID but that WAS an exceptional 50cc scooter.

I do NOT plan on riding REALLY far. At the most, a 2-300 miles in one day.
Super low fuel consumption is not much of an issue of me. If I get 40mpg and higher, I'm good.
I would like a 12v outlet for a GPS or something but if it doesn't have it, I guess I can put one in myself.
Good storage under the seat is important but they all seem to have very good storage.
My concern with the bigger ones would be pushing it around tight spaces, in and out of my carport where there is a gate although big, not HUGE. Backing up and so on.
Some of the advice I've already gotten:
I rode my friend's 650 before I bought my 400. Because of the lighter weight and because it freewheels due to the dry clutch, the 400 is much easier to move around.
There is one local 08 650 executive with around 8k miles for around $4500 and where I can possibly trade the executive for my very pimped 2007 Suzuki DRZ400s.
(HOWEVER, I'm not sure I want to spend that kind of money on a scooter.)
That being said, I think I would enjoy the hell outta it 'cause I like scooters and right now, I really don't go places because driving my Ford Excursion, I get around
10 mpg and just driving a couple of towns over to get something to eat will cost me ten bucks just in gas.

I also have one guy with an 05 Majesty 400 with 15k miles that wants $2500 but that MIGHT take some stuff in partial trade.
The bikes I'm choosing between are:
Burgman 650
Burgman 400
SilverWing 600
Majesty 400

The T-Max 500 is not really in the picture as I haven't found any used ones at a decent price but I wouldn't mind hearing opinions about it regardless.
The best deals (I think) I've found on the different bikes are:
08 Burgman 650 Executive, 9k, $4800 and possibly trade for my DRZ400s

05 Burgman 400, 8k, $2500

08 Silverwing 600, 7k miles and $3700. It mentions a rebuilt title and I'm not sure what that means?
05, 6k and $4k
05, 4k miles and $4k

07 Majesty 400, 2k, $3500
07 Majesty 400, 8k, $3000
07 Majesty 400, 12k, $2900
06 Majesty 300, 8k, $3200

The two in bold seem to me like the best deals so let's hear the pros and cons and opinions about the prices.
Above all, the pros and cons of the bikes themselves.
Keep in mind that I don't wrench so reliability, lower maintenance cost and longer time between repairs and adjustments are important and I would also like to hear from
someone close to me that might be interesting in wrenching for me (for payment of course or trade for services/stuff as I have LOTS of cool stuff and I am a webdesigner).
Also, if someone fairly close to me (Charlotte, NC 28103) has something for sale in good/great condition at a good price, feel free to pm me.
If you are interested in any trades, even better and pm me for a very comprehensive listing for my bike

Thanks for all the advice in advance.

George

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Re: Advice/comparison, Burg 400-650, Majesty 400, SilverWing

Considering your weight, and that MPG isn't important, I'd go with a Silverwing.

It is slimmer like the 400 and Majesty, and a bit less heavy than a 650. Having a dry clutch, it'll roll a bit easier that the 650. (Not having pushed either, I'm only piecing together info I've read here, so I could be wrong on that assumption.) I believe it is also lower to the ground, which might be handy in keeping it upright. Like the Majesty and Burgman 650, it hasn't really been updated in years. The good part of that, is you can do some research on a Silverwing forum and find out what they recommend for the years to look for. Buying a used version will be virtually the same as buying brand new...but will cost you thousands less.

The Silverwing has a CVT design like the Majesty and Burgman 400. That might be a plus to you. Make the mods several of them at the Silverwing 600 forum have made, http://www.silverwing600.com/ , and you'll have a bike that performs well and is responsive.

I like how it looks too. :lol: Especially in dark blue or black. 8)

Chris

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yeah, it IS a good looking bike and I AM partial to the bigger size, especially if it doesn't come with the penalty of feeling/being heavy and wide.

I just realized that I had a guy contact me about one he had for sale a few days ago. Not being racist or anything but the dude was Mexican
and I've NEVER seen a hispanic person in my 15 years in this area riding a bike of ANY kind.
Kinda surprised me.

Anyway, he said it was on 07 with 4000 miles on it but I forgot what he told me he wanted so I emailed him
and since I'm going to the big city of charlotte tomorrow to look at scoots, I asked him if he could show it
and let me try it. IF that's the case, tomorrow I will try the silverwing, the 650 and the 400 majesty.
Too bad I can't find anyone local with a burg 400.

George

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts

I'm normally a big proponent of the 400, but at 350 lbs, you're pushing the fun factor. It's a great bike for me at 190 lbs, but I don't think you'll be happy with the 400.

Getting a maxi-scooter opens up realms of possibilities for what you can do with it. You used your 50cc bike to go to the store, etc. With a maxi-scooter of the 400+cc engine size, day trips like running up to the mountains on a 300 mile day are now within reason. The Burgman 400 will do it...but you'll be happier with the power of the Silverwing.

One thing you should do, and it seems like you will, is to sit on each and see how they fit you. One will grab you. That's the one you want.

Chris

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yeah, that's what happened with a 250 reflex that I tried. Price was great but I didn't like it at all
and yeah, the 400 WILL carry me but I would prefer a 600.
Let's see if the dude's close to me and if he'll let me try it.

I have not yet found a burg 400 close to me though. Oh well. I still think that I've gotten quite a bit accomplished for a day or two
and thanks for the help by the way :)

George

·
Registered
203 Posts

I have had them all,plus a Kymco xciting 500. For hiway driving/long distance and long 2-up the 650 is #1 to me. :thumbup:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

insp03 said:
I have had them all,plus a Kymco xciting 500. For hiway driving/long distance and long 2-up the 650 is #1 to me. :thumbup:
Ok, I won't be doing much highway riding AND, I'll be by myself so with that in mind, can you list them in order of preference?

Thanks

GEorge

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts

When it comes right down to it you are going to have to test ride as many of the bikes as you can and determine which one works best for you. You can ask people which is best and you will get many opinions some directly contradicting each other as to the reason. What one person finds appealing in a bike the next might find is a turn off. What one person wants a bike to do another will never think of doing with their bike. We are all unique in our wants, needs and desires when it comes to bikes and for that reason the way we rank bikes varies.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Yep, but I'm still curious what people think.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts

George, will you be able flat foot the 650?
Height and weight aren't nearly as important on that bike as inseam length is.
I can't imagine feeling comfortable on the 650 if I couldn't get both feet flat on the ground at a stop, and I would think it would be nearly impossible to back it up without having the use of both feet securely flat on the ground...but then, there's always that dreaded lean if you need to get forward off the seat when stopped. Fine so long as you're leaning the same way you might need to turn...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Gotta be honest. I sat on it in the store and kinda moved it around with my feet and not a problem.
It did not feel too tall at all but it may have something to do with my 360lb's.
I'm sure I'm sagging the hell outta it.
I don't remember if I flat footed it but I'm thinking I might have.

My dirt bike is set up for a 220lb rider which makes it perfect for me 'cause I can reach the ground
and I'm sure if I were the same height but say, 180lbs or 220 or whatever, this would not be the case.

Also, it did not feel heavy at all when I tried to move it around. I was expecting it to be but I don't know
what to say, I really liked it.

What concerns me the most right now is the cvt issues on the bike. I see that some people have close to 100 000 miles
on theirs but, I am NOT a lucky guy and you know how it is. If you have money, nothing breaks but if you're broke..

At least that's the way it is for me.

If there was a way to know for sure I'd get 50k miles out of it, I'd try to find me one but of course, there isn't.
I just couldn't handle the cost if it DID break down which is too bad 'cause I've found a very nice one at a good price
but it's an older model and has 22k on it I think.

·
Registered
203 Posts

guiri said:
insp03 said:
Ok, I won't be doing much highway riding AND, I'll be by myself so with that in mind, can you list them in order of preference?

Thanks

GEorge
Burg 400,after 08 model, honda or kymco(the price is great on the kymco) next, then yahama (to me feels small,I did not like the ride). Good luck,look for the best deal.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hello Guiri,

At this time I own a 2008 Majesty and I weigh near 300lbs, I have been on some long rides with mine and have had no problems. I do most of my own wrenching, don't trust stealerships much unless it is an absolute must, kinda gotta know your limits any ways, I am not happy with the seat on mine and I am looking at making a mod, either the cheap way or the other not sure yet, my plan is in 2014 to buy the 2013 Burgman 650 in 2014 if it is here in the states if not then I will buy the 2012 model. Don't get me wrong I like my Majesty 400 and again I have had no problems with it getting me where ever I wanted to go but I do like the neat extra's on the Burgman and I also like the newer colors. I have rode a 2010 Burgman and I liked it, I know a lot maxi-scooter riders that have them and I just think they have more to offer than Yamaha has been doing with the Majesty.

·
Registered
573 Posts

I am 250 lbs, and my son 230lbs. When we've ridden two up there has been plenty of power on my 650. I find it easy to move around, as well as getting it on and off the center stand. My mpg are 40 plus in town, 50 plus on the highway, and 60 plus on two lanes, high mountain roads, and when the temperature is hot. The cvt is a none issue for me. There are tens of thousand 650s world wide, and a few dozen reported problems. It may be higher than that, but not enough to worry me. Maintanence and normal riding. I plan on having mine for a long time. If I encounter problems, I guess I'll deal with them then. I've owned a number of bikes over the past 40 years, but this is the first one I can say that I have no intention of getting something else in the future (maybe another Burgman 650 8) ). I have a friend at work who has a Silverwing, and he loves his. He is 6'2" and weighs about 400lbs. No problems from him. He just doesn't ride it every day like I do. I test rode the 400, and really liked it. But at 250lbs, I was more comfortable with the "idea" of the 650. Good luck in your search for that dream machine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Thanks guys and keep those comments coming.

The thing is and I know this is gonna sound like a bunch of bull, but I DO have bad luck.
I know I sound paranoid but I'm 52 years old and I think back at things that have happened
that are beyond my control and things that still do so now, I've started taking that into consideration.

I have such $hitty luck that even a lawyer that I have once told me i should consider my bad
luck when making a decision (long story).

I don't assume that a 650 will break down if I get one, the problem is, IF it does, I won't have the money
to fix it. I don't start out my day being negative and I don't assume things are going to happen but it's like
wearing a helmet, you wear it 'cause you MIGHT need it and so, I MAY have to get a cvt replaced/fixed
and it might turn out that i can't afford it and the bike'll just sit here.

All this said, I really liked the 650 and would love to have one.

Now, if the guy with the silverwing WANTS my bike and we can do a deal that we're both happy with, I may
end up with one and not really look back. It was a nice riding scooter. Not as nice as the burg but it was nice.
Hell, they all were.

Keep the suggestions and comments coming. It's a learning experience.

Thanks

George

·
Registered
230 Posts

Hi,

I have had the Reflex, Majesty, and have had the SWing now for almost 6 years. The SWing and Majesty ride about the same and you can push them around equally as well. I'm 210 lbs and have no trouble whatsoever with moving the Swing around my garage. I do like the SWing better than the Majesty because of the power and it is smoother to me. I also like that the engine is mounted to the frame instead of the swingarm. It goes over bumps in the road and also those speed bumps in the streets of neighbhoods better.

The reflex just doesn't cut it for me on the interstates of the S.F. bay area. People here drive fast and I was always stuck in the right lane since my top speed was only about 70 mph (actual). But since you didn't like the Reflex that is out of the picture for you. The Majesty will take you anywhere you want to go and was a very nice bike. I also have had no problems with any of the bikes other than normal maintenance. I would think you would want at least a 400cc bike and go sit on them all, or if you can get a test ride, then take as many test rides as you can. Even though you say you don't ride 2 up, my wife and I took the Majesty up in the mountains and we had no trouble with doing this. The Swing, with the extra power, just did mountains 2 up better and we have extra throttle to get around traffic. But it seems for your kind of riding you should get at least a 400cc bike.

JeffR

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

THanks Jeff,

I DID try all four on Saturday (scroll up as there is a short comment and how I rated them in order..) and I liked all off them. I actually rated the majesty last of the four
but that does NOT mean it wasn't a nice scooter, I just kinda liked the others better but note that it was only after riding just a couple of miles.

I have found a super nice Swing as you call it and it's an 07, 4k miles and he wants $4400 for it. The only drawback is that his wife
had it and had a sound system put in it which takes space under the seat. I have no use for it but if I take it out, I'm stuck with four holes
in the tupperware (suggestions on how to cover them are welcome by the way).
I can prolly sell it for a few hundred online but again, I don't want the holes. Rode nicely and it was in impeccable condition.
The guy MAY take my DRZ400s dual sport bike in trade but we'll see.

I can get a Reflex for 1400 though and although I didn't like it, it would get me around locally at least.
Again, I hate buying stuff that I don't like but it'll come down to a money thing.

Thanks

George

·
Registered
230 Posts

George,

Can you tell me exactly where in the tupperware there will be holes once you take the stereo out? I might have an idea if I know where the holes are. I know you listed the Majesty last and it seems some like the Burg 400 better since it is lower to the ground and I think it has a little bit more legroom. The B400 also has a dc power plug too. Why the Majesty, Reflex, or the SWing doesn't come with one of these power plugs is beyond me. When I mentioned the Majesty in my post I was also referring to the power of a 400, being able to go to the mountains, and doing just fine. I was really surprised with the difference in power between the Majesty and the Reflex. It was a totally different bike in terms of power and smoothness. And the B400 and Majesty have the same power so you will be able to go anywhere you want.

As for all of the scooters, other than the B650, you can do really simple things to get more power. If you do get a Reflex you can do what is called the K-mod, which is removing 3 of the rollers to get much more acceleration. You just need to know which 3 rollers. There are 2 sets of 3 rollers that are different weights. With the B400, Majesty, and SWing you can go with lighter Dr Pulley sliders to get better acceleration and lower revs. If you go with a B400 make sure you get in touch with Chris (Daboo) on this site. He is known to be probably the most knowledgable 400 owner around. Good luck with what you get.

Also, George. You need to consider that the weight capacity of the SWing is 366lbs, so you are just about at the limit per the manual. Many exceed that lb limit and have had no problems whatsoever. The Majesty, and hopefully Chris can chime in about the capacity of the B400, is 433lbs. The reason is that the B400, Majesty, and SWing use the same size tires. And if you subtract the weight of the Swing vs the Majesty...and than subtract that from 433 you will then come up with 366lbs. So you may want to think about this too. I think the B400 and Majesty have a higher capacity than the B650 too. I have read that the B650 capacity is around 390lbs, but I'm sure those with them will verify that.

Thanks,

JeffR

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Jeff, here are pics of what I'm sure is the same scooter. http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/3466832641.html

THere are speakers on the top of the panels/each side of the handlebar and on the inside of
where that center plastic is where your feet are. Not sure how to explain but you can see one in the bottom picture
and in the top, you can see the upper speakers better.

Bottom line is, ALL bikes including the reflex for $1350 will haul me around without a problem.
My little 50cc which WAS an EXCEPTIONAL little scooter could do it.

All scooters will do it and except for the reflex, I liked them all but I liked the Burgman 650 the most
HOWEVER, I'm afraid of the CVT or whatever it was (my memory sucks) failing and possibly
costing me many thousands to fix. Of course, this might NEVER happen but ****, I can't see into the future
so I don't know what to do :)

I found an awfuly nice B400 close to me for $2700 and yeah, it'll be easier to find people to work on that
than the Pacific Coast PC800 but I can't help but feel I'll prefer the power of the PC800
(hmm, maybe that was in another thread but I've looked at a Honda Pacific P800 motorcycle too)
and I'll get more for the money.

Do I know what I'm doing? No
Will I ever know what I'm doing? No
Is there a chance I'll get either one and be happy? Yes
Is there a guarantee I don't have to fix something two days after getting any of them? No

:(

I don't want to come out sounding like a whiner. I can keep on driving my Excursion at 10mpg and then
just stay at home most of the time and things wont' change, BUT, I would like something cheap to get around
with as I feel I'll do more things, more often if I do and THAT, wouldn't hurt me.
It MIGHT even get me to the gym as I"ll be able to afford GOING there. Then it might not but
this is some kind of attempt to do something positive in my life :)

Thanks

George

JeffR said:
George,

Can you tell me exactly where in the tupperware there will be holes once you take the stereo out? I might have an idea if I know where the holes are. I know you listed the Majesty last and it seems some like the Burg 400 better since it is lower to the ground and I think it has a little bit more legroom. The B400 also has a dc power plug too. Why the Majesty, Reflex, or the SWing doesn't come with one of these power plugs is beyond me. When I mentioned the Majesty in my post I was also referring to the power of a 400, being able to go to the mountains, and doing just fine. I was really surprised with the difference in power between the Majesty and the Reflex. It was a totally different bike in terms of power and smoothness. And the B400 and Majesty have the same power so you will be able to go anywhere you want.

As for all of the scooters, other than the B650, you can do really simple things to get more power. If you do get a Reflex you can do what is called the K-mod, which is removing 3 of the rollers to get much more acceleration. You just need to know which 3 rollers. There are 2 sets of 3 rollers that are different weights. With the B400, Majesty, and SWing you can go with lighter Dr Pulley sliders to get better acceleration and lower revs. If you go with a B400 make sure you get in touch with Chris (Daboo) on this site. He is known to be probably the most knowledgable 400 owner around. Good luck with what you get.

Also, George. You need to consider that the weight capacity of the SWing is 366lbs, so you are just about at the limit per the manual. Many exceed that lb limit and have had no problems whatsoever. The Majesty, and hopefully Chris can chime in about the capacity of the B400, is 433lbs. The reason is that the B400, Majesty, and SWing use the same size tires. And if you subtract the weight of the Swing vs the Majesty...and than subtract that from 433 you will then come up with 366lbs. So you may want to think about this too. I think the B400 and Majesty have a higher capacity than the B650 too. I have read that the B650 capacity is around 390lbs, but I'm sure those with them will verify that.

Thanks,

JeffR

·
Registered
3 Posts

George, I don't know how handy you are or mechanically inclined but, if you go on ebay you can pick up a seat compartment to replace the one that has holes in it. There is also a lot of parts you can get there including a cvt. So you shouldn't worry too much about repairs. Also there's a guy on utube called le dude. He has diy videos on just about everything you can do to a burgman. He shows you in detail how to take it apart and put it together and the parts and tools you need. It takes the intimidation factor out of repairing your burgman. You know what you are getting into and can refer back to it if you forget how to put it back together. I'm 250 and I've had my 650 for 4 months. I put about 1k a month on it riding to work and getting supplies and playing around on it. I love it! I just changed the oil on the engine and trans. With the help of the le dude video. It couldn't be easier. Plenty of power for anything you need. I also have to push it around in a driveway with little room between me and the motorhome. It's not that hard. A little practice and it's like nothing to manuver it about. Good luck with your endevors. Greg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts